ADVERTISEMENT

What's the deal with our captains not shaking hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link to the article from the Kentucky sideline reporter:
http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Ho...oked-from-my-side-of-the-field-445144963.html
He's trusted, and is pretty conservative. Not one to just say something.

Here is the link to another article:
http://vaughtsviews.com/2017/09/sou...en-johnson-to-lead-to-no-coin-toss-handshake/
Also trusted.

When one reads these reports, and Langston's, one might get more of a full picture of what happened. Langston reported that Johnson was trash talking. From what the Kentucky reporter said, it appears that the the trash talking from Johnson happened after the refusal of the handshake, and later a ref stepped between the players, and then "crossing the line" happened. The Kentucky reporter said that the Kentucky players were "vocal" when approaching midfield. He said, from what he could tell (with all of the noise) that it was not directed at the USC players - but it is possible - especially with the noise, that the USC players thought that it was. The Kentucky reporter feels strongly, from what he saw, that the decision to not shake hands had been made before hand, and even though he is not someone to just jump to conclusions, he was interpreting what he saw, and could not know for sure.

Last edited:
Coach needs to put a code conduct at the entrance to the field and and remind the players every practice, scrimmage, and game. We've been there before, before Muschamp, we shouldn't have to be making corrections now. BOT should have informed Tanner not to allow it to happen again. Tanner better be on top of this mess NOW. Muschamp needs to lay down the law.

Nothing wrong with being cocky, all teams strive for it. It just needs to be focused appropriately (this means you, coaches!)

If you think another player "disses" you, then you have abandoned the team mantra and going with the me, me, me mantra and you have already failed. It's the team, fans, and everything you represent by wearing that uniform that is being "dissed". By forgoing civility and sportsmanship at a time that demands it, YOU are dissing BOTH TEAMS AND FANS.

Btw, as to the game we squandered 10 points kicking. Make those we have a tie game 23-23. Make HALF A YARD and score another TD and we win 30(29) -23.

Kentucky was way better balanced on offense than we were. We were better passing (and if Jake learns how throw a ball to a receiver with noboby within 10 yards of the receiver, we'll be that much better), Kentucky is far better in the running game and kicking. Kentucky executed far better for the whole game, yet, we had more opportunities to win than they did.

Remember, despite all the problems through the game, it was still a one possession game with four minutes to go. Contain the quarterback draw on third and eight and we get the ball, down seven.

And don't forget, folks, Jake has yet to play a full season, yet. He's still learning to read the defense, feel the pressure, gauge the clock ticking in his head to scramble or throw away. He should be noticeably better by seasons end.

Roper, or Muschamp, made some bad calls, primarily in the run game. With no prior running success in gaining short yardage, we NEVER should have handed off to the running back while in the shotgun, at the goal line. If we ever get consistent run blocking (like Kentucky) we will be a contender. Also, should have went for it fourth and eight. Our kicking game was already proven inconsistent, our passing game was a better chance of success. Our kicker missed again and was further demoralized.

Defense played as expected, not dominant, but consistent. I stated Kentucky would score 17-24 points, and that's what they did. We are decent at containing (bend don't break) and letting the opponent make a drive stopping mistake. We lack size to control the line scrimmage. It's usually the other team breaching the line of scrimmage, offensively, not us defensively.
I was told Dillman improved us physically. I didn't see it at all.

Booohooooo

After being disrespected in the captains meeting he stuck his tongue out at me while straight punking us. Boohoo
He was being disrespectful before the captain's meeting even started. He was running his big fat mouth which caused USC's players not to shake his hand. He's a punk and I hope the next team he plays against tries to decapitate his butt.

Doesn't their QB have Tourette's?

Stephen Johnson, Jr. had Tourette's until the age of 12. He prayed for a cure, and told family that he had been cured, and has mastered it since (with obvious assistance).

U play the brand of football our guys do not want to play because we are soft. Congradulations...your team is to be admired...hard nosed team.

Kentucky and South Carolina fans are renowned for hurling the same insults on the net, as each have had extended periods of mediocrity. As to this Kentucky team, after an 0-2 start to last season, with the emergence of Snell and Johnson, the team is 10-4 (including the bowl loss to Ga. Tech) and has won 4 of its last 5 on the road. The game Saturday night looked like most of the 10 wins. Tough running, timely plays by Johnson, and an improved defense, and (perhaps) the best field goal kicker in the country.

It's a degradation of society and not enough "adults" care enough to stand-up to it.

That's where we all come in . . . . either in Lexington or Columbia. I have "quieted" Kentucky fans in Lexington who were carrying BS too far, reminding them that we are not the University of Louisville, etc.

I have been to Kentucky at a game and we were saluted with the finger going in and many people telling us to 'F' Carolina.

I wish they would do that near me and my friends at Commonwealth. But yes, all of us have them, and those wearing the same colors as the offenders should take the lead in quieting them.

But as a Kentucky fan, I won't be getting too high after this game. We still havnt beaten a good opponent.

Phatty, you are a good poster on the Lair, but I sincerely hope we defeated a good team, and one that can carry their burden against UT, again, this year. Saying that a win at SC is not a quality win over a quality opponent is trashing UK, at this point, as much or more than trashing SC.

They lose by 10 points, the same amount of points as the missed PAT and the missed field goals

Yes, the math is correct. And had it been close(r) at the end, Johnson might not have slid at the 10, and we might not have just run up the middle three times, thereafter, running clock. The point differential is one that is common is Stoops' victories, and really pretty irrelevant.

Can you name a time where someone from Kentucky ever stuck their tounge out at them?

I stuck my tongue out at Lattimore in Commonwealth Stadium, in the first half in 2010 . . . . I was in the upper deck.

Reactions: gpcocks and cocky4
Stephen Johnson, Jr. had Tourette's until the age of 12. He prayed for a cure, and told family that he had been cured, and has mastered it since (with obvious assistance).

Kentucky and South Carolina fans are renowned for hurling the same insults on the net, as each have had extended periods of mediocrity. As to this Kentucky team, after an 0-2 start to last season, with the emergence of Snell and Johnson, the team is 10-4 (including the bowl loss to Ga. Tech) and has won 4 of its last 5 on the road. The game Saturday night looked like most of the 10 wins. Tough running, timely plays by Johnson, and an improved defense, and (perhaps) the best field goal kicker in the country.

That's where we all come in . . . . either in Lexington or Columbia. I have "quieted" Kentucky fans in Lexington who were carrying BS too far, reminding them that we are not the University of Louisville, etc.

I wish they would do that near me and my friends at Commonwealth. But yes, all of us have them, and those wearing the same colors as the offenders should take the lead in quieting them.

Phatty, you are a good poster on the Lair, but I sincerely hope we defeated a good team, and one that can carry their burden against UT, again, this year. Saying that a win at SC is not a quality win over a quality opponent is trashing UK, at this point, as much or more than trashing SC.

Yes, the math is correct. And had it been close(r) at the end, Johnson might not have slid at the 10, and we might not have just run up the middle three times, thereafter, running clock. The point differential is one that is common is Stoops' victories, and really pretty irrelevant.

I stuck my tongue out at Lattimore in Commonwealth Stadium, in the first half in 2010 . . . . I was in the upper deck.

So Johnson slid down at the 10 because the game was not close. YOU HAD A 7 POINT LEAD. You wouldn't have run it up the middle 3 times. Your QB completed 1 pass in the 4th quarter, what the hell else could you do.

So Johnson slid down at the 10 because the game was not close. YOU HAD A 7 POINT LEAD. You wouldn't have run it up the middle 3 times. Your QB completed 1 pass in the 4th quarter, what the hell else could you do.
What he did was smart though. A field goal was all we needed.

What did we do to you?!?!?

It all started with a sports writer named Billy Reed, who in 1999 said South Carolina had no business being in the SEC (apparently thinking Kentucky was a football dynasty reminiscent of Lombardi's Packers) That was the start of S.C.'s 9 game winning streak against Kentucky. There's a lot of that same smugness from your posters on here today. You're a Kentucky football fan, have a little humility your program has earned it.

It all started with a sports writer named Billy Reed, who in 1999 said South Carolina had no business being in the SEC (apparently thinking Kentucky was a football dynasty reminiscent of Lombardi's Packers) That was the start of S.C.'s 9 game winning streak against Kentucky. There's a lot of that same smugness from your posters on here today. You're a Kentucky football fan, have a little humility your program has earned it.
I'M not being smug at all, so don't come for me. As far as the others, I don't think they're being any more arrogant than your own fans who came onto our forum talking all that crap.

Yes that was genius, why score a sure 7 when there's a possibility you can score 3.
Why risk fumbling the ball with defenders closing in on you? Why risk being pushed out, thus stopping the clock? Why right getting injured when you're the starting QB? It was less than 4 minutes in the game and your kicked missed everything, so it was likely that you wouldn't score more than 7. Plus Stoops doesn't believe in running up the score. A field goal, as stated before, was enough.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Why risk fumbling the ball with defenders closing in on you? Why risk being pushed out, thus stopping the clock? Why right getting injured when you're the starting QB? It was less than 4 minutes in the game and your kicked missed everything, so it was likely that you wouldn't score more than 7. Plus Stoops doesn't believe in running up the score. A field goal, as stated before, was enough.

Yes no doubt all of those things flashed through his head. I'm sure you mean well, but you're embarrassing yourself. Still, thanks for adding humor. That mental image of Stephen Johnson thinking "I better slide down at the 10 yard line Coach Stoops doesn't like us running up the score." PRICELESS.

Reactions: DC-99
Yes no doubt all of those things flashed through his head. I'm sure you mean well, but you're embarrassing yourself. Still, thanks for adding humor. That mental image of Stephen Johnson thinking "I better slide down at the 10 yard line Coach Stoops doesn't like us running up the score." PRICELESS.
I'm embarrassing myself? Sure, I guess I am. But you're also being a complete asshole towards people who are trying to have calm adult conversations.

I don't know what was exactly going on in SJ's head. But what I do know is that was the smartest and safest move. He's a QB, he's not going to risk getting injured on a tackle.

FWIW, the majority of us (UK fans) know this is not representative of your state, your fan base, or your school. It is actually refreshing to see so many of you taking the stance you have regarding it and refusing to accept it. These young men represent so much more than they may realize when they put on a uniform that represents not only their teams, but a fan base, and an entire state.

We are not immune to it either. One of our players was caught on camera spitting toward fans in the stands last week. He was no where near close enough to actually hit them with it, but the act alone generated much the same response I am seeing from SC fans here.

Lastly, please do not think some of the classless comments a few of our "fans" have made represent our fan base either. We have a few chumps in our ranks as well, but the majority of us are actually good people, as are the majority of you. Best of the luck the rest of the way this year, and hate to hear about Deebo. Pregame actions aside, I hate for any young man to sustain an injury that takes his season away.
Most of these punks come from a low life environment and were it not for athletics, would have no place in a society with any class, culture, respect for others or anything sacred.

Very sorry that he did that. He shouldn't have.
Billy Reed wasn't a Kentucky fan, that is for sure. He was employed in Kentucky as a newspaper journalist. Many of his articles were extremely critical of Kentucky, and many unfairly so, especially toward coaches. He might have written something complimentary of Kentucky at one time or another, but I sure can't remember it.

Last edited:
Yes that was genius, why score a sure 7 when there's a possibility you can score 3.
Yes, it was a genius move. It was a coach's dream. He purposely slides with around 3 mins left. They can effectively run the clock out at that point. This is my problem with so many of our fans....they don't understand the game and blindly attack other fans and fans that rightly criticize our shortcomings. I tipped my cap to SJ and said, "Damn, that was smart" as he slid.

Reactions: KellKat and cocky4
This "fake news" report that SC captains refused to shake hands at midfield after coin toss is completely false. Players from both teams shook hands and Kentucky player, Johnson got in SC player's face, cussing etc. BullSh*t

I read entire thread and held off responding to any of it until this one. I just want to say that scoring that TD would have been a far cry from "running up the score." That's just a humurous damn thing to say.
Plus, I can't even believe we are taking crap from friggin UK. Losing to them 4 years in football would be like them losing to us 4 years in basketball. It's ridiculous that we are even having to have this entire conversation.

He was being disrespectful before the captain's meeting even started. He was running his big fat mouth which caused USC's players not to shake his hand. He's a punk and I hope the next team he plays against tries to decapitate his butt.

Complete false. I know SJ and not only is he one of the quietest most respectful kids,he would never be cussing out an opponent BEFORE the game.

He may stick his tongue out after straight punking some punk arrogant teams though. Based on the way your fan base acted leading up to the game, we all know the truth.

There was about 2 game minutes in 2nd half where we had "only" a 7 point lead. It took a miracle 4th down conversion to get it to 7.

Most of these punks come from a low life environment and were it not for athletics, would have no place in a society with any class, culture, respect for others or anything sacred.

Lol. Need I remind you the way you acted all week and then were too chicken ish to come back and be a man? This guy littered our board with bull crap all week. @MANAFOLD is the exact type South Carolina fan that makes y'all one of the most hated fan bases in the sec.

This "fake news" report that SC captains refused to shake hands at midfield after coin toss is completely false. Players from both teams shook hands and Kentucky player, Johnson got in SC player's face, cussing etc. BullSh*t

Again, false.

Reactions: KellKat

I "hope" we beat one also. But remember, leading up to the game we were minimizing their wins so far. Saying they are not good is not trashing Kentucky. We took care of business on the road in the sec. that's all that matters. USCeast will be a .500 team that can beat any team in the east but also lose to any team.

I knew we would beat South Carolina. I have the $500 money line ticket to prove it. Our test is Saturday. And I believe we win in convincing fashion. 24-13

I just want to say that scoring that TD would have been a far cry from "running up the score." That's just a humurous damn thing to say.
It is stupid when you decide to risk fumbling the ball, stopping the clock, or getting injured as a QB by going into the end zone with defenders closing in on you. It IS running up the score when you decide to get another TD while you only need three points and some time off the clock to put this game away with your accurate kicker.

It is stupid when you decide to risk fumbling the ball, stopping the clock, or getting injured as a QB by going into the end zone with defenders closing in on you. It IS running up the score when you decide to get another TD while you only need three points and some time off the clock to put this game away with your accurate kicker.

So you're still trying to cling to this bizarre fantasy. I'm sure Johnson realized S.C. still had all of their timeouts and at the most he'd only get the clock down to about 2 minutes and with a 7 point lead and that S.C. had already blocked 2 FG attempts this year. They ran about 40 seconds off the clock. Now if you think it's easier to score 2 TDs with 2:47 than 1 TD and a FG with 2:07 left, then it's easy to see why you think it was genius. It worked out for you but other than Noklahoma, who apparently is almost as much of a savant as Stephen Johnson, nobody believes 1: He was trying to avoid injury (why not take him out of the game after that and let Snell run the wildcat if that's your goal)2: The thought of scoring a TD there might be perceived as running up the score, or that that even entered his mind.(I know most of Kentucky's wins over
S.C. have been of the 3-5 point variety so I can see why you'd think 14 point win would be running up the score) I can assure you you'd be hard pressed to find anybody that would have thought that was "running up the score".

Reactions: Cybercock
So you're still trying to cling to this bizarre fantasy. I'm sure Johnson realized S.C. still had all of their timeouts and at the most he'd only get the clock down to about 2 minutes and with a 7 point lead and that S.C. had already blocked 2 FG attempts this year. They ran about 40 seconds off the clock. Now if you think it's easier to score 2 TDs with 2:47 than 1 TD and a FG with 2:07 left, then it's easy to see why you think it was genius. It worked out for you but other than Noklahoma, who apparently is almost as much of a savant as Stephen Johnson, nobody believes 1: He was trying to avoid injury (why not take him out of the game after that and let Snell run the wildcat if that's your goal)2: The thought of scoring a TD there might be perceived as running up the score, or that that even entered his mind.(I know most of Kentucky's wins over
S.C. have been of the 3-5 point variety so I can see why you'd think 14 point win would be running up the score) I can assure you you'd be hard pressed to find anybody that would have thought that was "running up the score".
He slid down on purpose for a reason, and he did exactly what Gran and Hinshaw would've wanted him to do. And no one was concerned about you guys blocking the FG because you didn't do it to any of our other field goals this year. But whatever bro, believe what you want.

When I saw him slide I moaned "well, that did it" because I figured they would run out more clock and kick the FG. I thought it was a smart play on his part but only if he thought he wasn't going to make it to the end zone, and was afraid he may get pushed out.

He slid down on purpose for a reason, and he did exactly what Gran and Hinshaw would've wanted him to do. And no one was concerned about you guys blocking the FG because you didn't do it to any of our other field goals this year. But whatever bro, believe what you want.

You're amazing I just thought you could read Stephen Johnson's mind, you can read the coaching staffs mind too. You convinced me. Now don't be modest you're Miss Cleo, American Psychic aren't you.

When I saw him slide I moaned "well, that did it" because I figured they would run out more clock and kick the FG. I thought it was a smart play on his part but only if he thought he wasn't going to make it to the end zone, and was afraid he may get pushed out.
Yeah, I don't know what was really going through his head, but he slid down on purpose. It was a smart thing to do, whether intentional or not. Glad you understand what I'm trying to get that other guy to understand.

Yeah, I don't know what was really going through his head, but he slid down on purpose. It was a smart thing to do, whether intentional or not. Glad you understand what I'm trying to get that other guy to understand.

To be fair, it was an instantaneous thought on my part because I hadn't paid attention to timeouts.

I tend to think logically, so yea, I get what you're saying. I doubt Johnson was thinking about timeouts as he was running free. He got close, didn't want to stop the clock by getting forced out of bounds. I'm sure once he realized the timeout situation he regretted not fighting for the end zone.

He's a total punk, and its awesome you're hoping he gets injured while playing a game. :cool:

Here;'s a great article where Stephen Johnson talks to are children about his faith in God and why he choses to live a life following the footsteps of christ.
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/foot...ks-to-students-at-southland-christian-church/

Best of the luck the rest of the way South Carolina fans. Most of you guys are are a true class act. All fan bases have some turds.

Reactions: KellKat
To be fair, it was an instantaneous thought on my part because I hadn't paid attention to timeouts.

I tend to think logically, so yea, I get what you're saying. I doubt Johnson was thinking about timeouts as he was running free. He got close, didn't want to stop the clock by getting forced out of bounds. I'm sure once he realized the timeout situation he regretted not fighting for the end zone.

That would be great except the clock stops to move the down markers on a 54 yard run. I tend to think logically too so when I saw it I thought: What in the world was that guy thinking, he must be betting the point spread. Miss Cleo explained it though. These people at Kentucky are playing chess and the rest of the SEC is playing checkers, especially Stephen "Hawking" Johnson, Jr.

He's a total punk, and its awesome you're hoping he gets injured while playing a game. :cool:

Here;'s a great article where Stephen Johnson talks to are children about his faith in God and why he choses to live a life following the footsteps of christ.
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/foot...ks-to-students-at-southland-christian-church/

Best of the luck the rest of the way South Carolina fans. Most of you guys are are a true class act. All fan bases have some turds.
I never said I wanted to see him get injured. I'd just like to see him hit really hard and have some humility knocked back into him. You can keep your article because I've seen his actions

You're getting a little psycho there, buddy. It's not that serious. Act like a grown man, not a child.
It's a man's game. If he wants to behave immaturely on the field then he should accept when teams take it personally and decide to deal out some on the field punishment.

Complete false. I know SJ and not only is he one of the quietest most respectful kids,he would never be cussing out an opponent BEFORE the game.

He may stick his tongue out after straight punking some punk arrogant teams though. Based on the way your fan base acted leading up to the game, we all know the truth.

There was about 2 game minutes in 2nd half where we had "only" a 7 point lead. It took a miracle 4th down conversion to get it to 7.

Lol. Need I remind you the way you acted all week and then were too chicken ish to come back and be a man? This guy littered our board with bull crap all week. @MANAFOLD is the exact type South Carolina fan that makes y'all one of the most hated fan bases in the sec.

Again, false.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/s...me-handshake-incident/CoPNnoqQXgjXPxFVKu9VPM/

I wish I could say I'm surprised how some of our fans trash our players, coaches, administrators at every opportunity, but I can't. The posters at the beginning of this thread should be ashamed.

I never said I wanted to see him get injured. I'd just like to see him hit really hard and have some humility knocked back into him. You can keep your article because I've seen his actions
You know nothing about him. He is a great kid that does an enormous amount of community work.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/s...me-handshake-incident/CoPNnoqQXgjXPxFVKu9VPM/
You know nothing about him. He is a great kid that does an enormous amount of community work.
Most football players do community work. A sideline reporter saw him start the trashtalking first which lead to the no handshake. The Kentucky captains were just as responsible for their not being a handshake as the USC players were but the Kentucky players and coach tried to make out like USC flat out refused and that is a LIE!

I wish I could say I'm surprised how some of our fans trash our players, coaches, administrators at every opportunity, but I can't. The posters at the beginning of this thread should be ashamed.
I can't speak for others but I'm just trashing the actions, not anyone in particular. I don't want to go through 2004 again, that was a freaking mess. If you don't stop little things like this in the beginning, you'll have another 2004 on your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT