ADVERTISEMENT

What's the deal with our captains not shaking hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most football players do community work. A sideline reporter saw him start the trashtalking first which lead to the no handshake. The Kentucky captains were just as responsible for their not being a handshake as the USC players were but the Kentucky players and coach tried to make out like USC flat out refused and that is a LIE!
Other reporters are saying the trash talking started after South Carolina captains refused to shake hands. Regardless, there have been many trash talking incidents at college football games during the coin toss. Name me one other team that refused to shake hands. That is as bush league as you can get.

Reactions: KellKat
Other reporters are saying the trash talking started after South Carolina captains refused to shake hands. Regardless, there have been many trash talking incidents at college football games during the coin toss. Name me one other team that refused to shake hands. That is as bush league as you can get.
Bush League is badmouthing the other team to reporters after the game when you were just as responsible for the pregame shinanigans. Your team and your coach can go suck an egg. The whole non-shaking of hands was blown way out of proportion because a few Kentucky players wanted to act like they got their little feelings hurt.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
Bush League is badmouthing the other team to reporters after the game when you were just as responsible for the pregame shinanigans. Your team and your coach can go suck an egg
Bush League is badmouthing the other team to reporters after the game when you were just as responsible for the pregame shinanigans. Your team and your coach can go suck an egg
Another great guote from a South Carolina fan. No where did I disrespect you or your coach.

If our players refused to shake hands...our guys were wrong. That is how it is done and it is a shame that our players have not learned that as of yet. I am hoping this was just not understanding what is required of them in that situation and not an attempt by them to just be asses. Trash talk is a part of sports as old as the sport....but u shake hands.

Reactions: KellKat
I was surprised that no one asked Muschamp about this whole matter during his Tuesday press conference...
Someone did ask him how he liked the new DJ...I mean, what a stupid question

It's a man's game. If he wants to behave immaturely on the field then he should accept when teams take it personally and decide to deal out some on the field punishment.
Hoping that someone suffers a FATAL injury because of trash talking means you are too damn sensitive. I don't care what he said, its not that serious!!!!

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/s...me-handshake-incident/CoPNnoqQXgjXPxFVKu9VPM/
Most football players do community work. A sideline reporter saw him start the trashtalking first which lead to the no handshake. The Kentucky captains were just as responsible for their not being a handshake as the USC players were but the Kentucky players and coach tried to make out like USC flat out refused and that is a LIE!
And our sideline reporter, during the broadcast, contradicted what your guy said. So, who's correct here?

Very sorry that he did that. He shouldn't have.
Billy Reed wasn't a Kentucky fan, that is for sure. He was employed in Kentucky as a newspaper journalist. Many of his articles were extremely critical of Kentucky, and many unfairly so, especially toward coaches. He might have written something complimentary of Kentucky at one time or another, but I sure can't remember it.

Nope he's a homer. He doesn't like Stoops but he loves Kentucky. Wrote:THE WINNING TRADITION,THE HISTORY OF KENTUCKY BASKETBALL, published by the University of Kentucky Press. In the book he explains why Kentucky's 1997 team was so much better than S.C. even though they lost both times they played us, the last time on Kentucky's senior day. The article about S.C. not belonging in the S.E.C. was primarily about S.C.'s football program. I believe it appeared in the Courier Journal. He likewise gushes about Kentucky's legendary status in that article.

I was surprised that no one asked Muschamp about this whole matter during his Tuesday press conference...
Someone did ask him how he liked the new DJ...I mean, what a stupid question

He already addressed it. Basically said, I don't care about what another team/player does/says, shake their hand. I thought he handled it well.

Reactions: cocky4
All you have to do is beat their ass on the field! Take out your anger for whatever they did, or didnt do on the field, simple as that.

As I said earlier, if our guys were the cause of this mess, then I apologize on behalf of the BBN. If they aren't the aggressors, I still apologize for this STILL being an issue. Now, I'm moving on. Good luck with the rest of your season and thank you for your hospitality.

Reactions: cocky4
Ky fan here, I think the handshake thing is being blown way out of proportion here! Were UK players without blame? I have no way of knowing but it wouldn't surprise me to find out they were! Sportsmanship just isn't as important to athletes as it was 20-30 years ago. Not as important to most fans either.
Mostly though what I want to say is that it was my first trip to Columbia for a game and I was treated very very nice and respectfully by 90% of the Gamecock fans that I interacted with.I couldn't hear chants from the student section but the USC fans near me were nice as could be. Someday when "Champ leaves I will be cheering for the Gamecocks anytime they aren't playing my Wildcats! And I admit most of my bad feelings about Boom were brought on by his actions and attitude when he was a Gator.
So,, to the Gamecock fans,, thank you sincerely for the Southern hospitality you showed me and my wife at the game!

That plus bentleys flop embarrassed me way more than any of the goons on FGF ever could.

Nope he's a homer. He doesn't like Stoops but he loves Kentucky. Wrote:THE WINNING TRADITION,THE HISTORY OF KENTUCKY BASKETBALL, published by the University of Kentucky Press. In the book he explains why Kentucky's 1997 team was so much better than S.C. even though they lost both times they played us, the last time on Kentucky's senior day. The article about S.C. not belonging in the S.E.C. was primarily about S.C.'s football program. I believe it appeared in the Courier Journal. He likewise gushes about Kentucky's legendary status in that article.

My memory of Billy Reed’s coverage of UK goes far back, to the 70s. I remember him, and his articles well. Painful they were. Some UK fans even pied him - or was that Dave Kindred? I thought that they both were, but maybe it was just Dave. They never seemed to miss a chance to take a swipe at Kentucky. It continued after they left the Kentucky papers. In the following excerpt, written by Jeff Rozen in 2015, Billy Reed is called, “loathsome,” for his coverage of Kentucky. The topic of the excerpt is how Billy Reed covered Denny Crum, of UL, at UK’s expense. “Captivated by his energy, the state’s media fell almost immediately into his corner. Crum and the Cardinal brain-trust shrewdly played the role cast for them by such self-serving pundits as the loathsome Billy Reed. They were now the exciting, fresh Cardinals- Everyman’s team. Pitted against them was Kentucky, the snobs of the college basketball world. And so was born a ridiculous morality play of sorts, with UK as the villain and U of L as the virtuous herald of a new age in the state’s basketball fortunes.”

I thank you for your post. I now realize that UK was not the only victim of his ire. Very sorry that USC was. What he said was wrong. I have never heard anyone in Kentucky, fan or journalist, say that USC does not belong in the SEC. Why he said it is beyond me, but it definitely wasn’t because he was a Kentucky fan.

There are reasons, unfortunately, for you to dislike us, especially many of our overzealous fans, but what Billy Reed said is on him, not us.

Best wishes.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
My memory of Billy Reed’s coverage of UK goes far back, to the 70s. I remember him, and his articles well. Painful they were. Some UK fans even pied him - or was that Dave Kindred? I thought that they both were, but maybe it was just Dave. They never seemed to miss a chance to take a swipe at Kentucky. It continued after they left the Kentucky papers. In the following excerpt, written by Jeff Rozen in 2015, Billy Reed is called, “loathsome,” for his coverage of Kentucky. The topic of the excerpt is how Billy Reed covered Denny Crum, of UL, at UK’s expense. “Captivated by his energy, the state’s media fell almost immediately into his corner. Crum and the Cardinal brain-trust shrewdly played the role cast for them by such self-serving pundits as the loathsome Billy Reed. They were now the exciting, fresh Cardinals- Everyman’s team. Pitted against them was Kentucky, the snobs of the college basketball world. And so was born a ridiculous morality play of sorts, with UK as the villain and U of L as the virtuous herald of a new age in the state’s basketball fortunes.”

I thank you for your post. I now realize that UK was not the only victim of his ire. Very sorry that USC was. What he said was wrong. I have never heard anyone in Kentucky, fan or journalist, say that USC does not belong in the SEC. Why he said it is beyond me, but it definitely wasn’t because he was a Kentucky fan.

There are reasons, unfortunately, for you to dislike us, especially many of our overzealous fans, but what Billy Reed said is on him, not us.

Best wishes.

You are a reasonable man, likewise EKCAT4YRS. May your tribe increase.

At the time of the Reed article, what, 1997 or 1998, the UK internet community as it then existed blew up on him, again, for the foolish vile he had published against an SEC member, and for the crap he'd been launching at Kentucky.

It was at this time that his long-term struggle with alcohol was first publicly discussed, and the ensuing DUI's, left him writing (the last I heard) for a real Podunk paper in Western Kentucky.

The most widely held opinion of Reed's column then among UK fans was that he was trying to stir a hornets nest to have it sting Kentucky, and/or that the alcohol had poisoned his mind.

At the time of the Reed article, what, 1997 or 1998, the UK internet community as it then existed blew up on him, again, for the foolish vile he had published against an SEC member, and for the crap he'd been launching at Kentucky.

It was at this time that his long-term struggle with alcohol was first publicly discussed, and the ensuing DUI's, left him writing (the last I heard) for a real Podunk paper in Western Kentucky.

The most widely held opinion of Reed's column then among UK fans was that he was trying to stir a hornets nest to have it sting Kentucky, and/or that the alcohol had poisoned his mind.

Hack, I went back and dug a little deeper into Billy Reed and it appears that he has indeed burned a lot of bridges in Kentucky. I appreciate the Kentucky fan base a lot more for their lack of tolerance for Billy Reed.
I'll have to come up with a new excuse to dislike you guys. You, EKCAT, and Wildcat 2075 make it a lot harder though.

Hoping that someone suffers a FATAL injury because of trash talking means you are too damn sensitive. I don't care what he said, its not that serious!!!!
Do you really believe that I meant actual decapitation? You shouldn't take everything so literally. I'd never wish for someone's injury or death, maybe a little pain, but definitely not the former two.

He already addressed it. Basically said, I don't care about what another team/player does/says, shake their hand. I thought he handled it well.
He actually handled it with class. Can't really say the same for the opposing coach. You would have thought winners and losers of the game would have been reversed.

Reactions: anon_n4c0cp5zhdxn7
We were playing UK, for crying out loud! Simple explanation, really....

giphy.gif

Just about every team in the P5 talks a lot. It's not exclusive.
...YOU ARE FULL OF CRAP.

At this point, they're just doing what everyone else does. They just happened to play poorly last night.
... YOU ARE FULL OF CRAP.

Your are full of crap and if you didn't post over 41K times people would not know how truly stupid you are, Mr Monitor.

The best monitors keep their opinions (even the REALLY STUPID ones) to themselves.

...YOU ARE FULL OF CRAP.

... YOU ARE FULL OF CRAP.

Your are full of crap and if you didn't post over 41K times people would not know how truly stupid you are, Mr Monitor.

The best monitors keep their opinions (even the REALLY STUPID ones) to themselves.
And an intelligent poster would know better than to insult a forum moderator. When you get banned, don't act surprised. LMAO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT