ADVERTISEMENT

What's the peach crop like there this year?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
How's the peach crop down there this year? It looks like this will be the first year in a while that I'll go the whole summer without any SC peaches. It has happened in most years recently that I was down in SC for peach season or some family from down that way was traveling up here and they were able to buy me some. Doesn't look to be the case this year. I looked into delivery. The only place I can find online that does deliver is McBee Farms in Mcleod. Anyone know anything about this farm? A box of 14 is $48.

There's a bigger company called The Peach Truck that ships peaches, but they are from farms throughout the south. Granted, ANY southern peach will be 1000x better than what I can get in the grocery stores up here, but I'm a peach snob and prefer to stick to SC peaches.

Reactions: F-86F and atl-cock
How's the peach crop down there this year? It looks like this will be the first year in a while that I'll go the whole summer without any SC peaches. It has happened in most years recently that I was down in SC for peach season or some family from down that way was traveling up here and they were able to buy me some. Doesn't look to be the case this year. I looked into delivery. The only place I can find online that does deliver is McBee Farms in Mcleod. Anyone know anything about this farm? A box of 14 is $48.

There's a bigger company called The Peach Truck that ships peaches, but they are from farms throughout the south. Granted, ANY southern peach will be 1000x better than what I can get in the grocery stores up here, but I'm a peach snob and prefer to stick to SC peaches.
Fuzzy

I don't know what the crop is looking like this year - haven't heard anything. I know we had a decent late freeze, and in the early spring we had some hail storms (both having the ability to effect the crop).

Depending on how serious you are about getting peaches, and them being SC peaches....... Wait; where are you located?
Something you could do, is to contact one of the packing sheds around here, and ask if they ship any to your area, and if so, to whom they ship in your area (chain grocery, small grocery, roadside stand, etc). In HS, I worked in a local packing shed, and we were constantly loading trucks - from smaller trucks, to full-load 18-wheelers - sending peaches to who-knows-where.
A quick Google search came up with Watsonia and Titan Farms which are in the Ridge SPring / Monetta area.

Last edited:
Reactions: CheTig

McLeod is in McBee, SC. Those are my favorite peaches in the state. Probably biased because I’m originally from the Pee Dee, but they’re good peaches.

I don't know what the crop is looking like this year - haven't heard anything. I know we had a decent late freeze, and in the early spring we had some hail storms (both having the ability to effect the crop).

Depending on how serious you are about getting peaches, and them being SC peaches....... Wait; where are you located?
Something you could do, is to contact one of the packing sheds around here, and ask if they ship any to your area, and if so, to whom they ship in your area (chain grovery, small grocery, roadside stand, etc). In HS, I worked in a local packing shed, and we were constantly loading trucks - from smaller trucks, to full-load 18-wheelers - sending peaches to who-knows-where.
A quick Google search came up with Watsonia and Titan Farms which are in the Ridge SPring / Monetta area.

Thanks, I'm in Maryland. I will check into those.

I have a red haven tree that will have a bumper crop in the capital city. No impact by the late frost.

My tree is so loaded that I lost some braches after the most recent rain. Branches couldn't hold the weight of the peaches.

I have a red haven tree that will have a bumper crop in the capital city. No impact by the late frost.

My tree is so loaded that I lost some braches after the most recent rain. Branches couldn't hold the weight of the peaches.

Your own peach tree? Dang.

Something you could do, is to contact one of the packing sheds around here, and ask if they ship any to your area, and if so, to whom they ship in your area (chain grocery, small grocery, roadside stand, etc). In HS, I worked in a local packing shed, and we were constantly loading trucks - from smaller trucks, to full-load 18-wheelers - sending peaches to who-knows-where.
That late freeze got my peach trees somethin’ awful. ☹️

I don't have peach trees but I have plums, figs, blueberries, and pears. All of them have bumper crops except the plum tree which my brother pruned too much. I need to pick blueberries today but I'm waiting until it get a little later when it will not be as hot. It's stifling here today with NO wind or clouds.

Reactions: 92Pony
According to the peach farmers I know there are only 2 scenarios for the peach crop:
  1. There is a late frost or some other blight that wipes out the peaches and they have no crop to sell and they are going to go broke.
  2. There is a huge bumper crop of peaches which causes an over supply of peaches and prices drop so much they are going to go broke.
After all these years of going broke, I don't see how they continue to live a upscale lifestyle, live in big expensive homes, and buy expensive cars for their wives and kids to drive. It's a real head scratcher.

According to the peach farmers I know there are only 2 scenarios for the peach crop:
  1. There is a late frost or some other blight that wipes out the peaches and they have no crop to sell and they are going to go broke.
  2. There is a huge bumper crop of peaches which causes an over supply of peaches and prices drop so much they are going to go broke.
After all these years of going broke, I don't see how they continue to live a upscale lifestyle, live in big expensive homes, and buy expensive cars for their wives and kids to drive. It's a real head scratcher.
We as taxpayers pick up any deltas. My kin folks were paid many years to not grow crops to avoid oversatuation of the market.

I bought a vacation rental in windy hill and come to find out the previous owner planted a peach tree. Didn't think to much of it 3 years ago, but this year it actually started to sprout. Don't know if it will yield anything but pretty cool none the less.

On the left (if you couldn't tell) Anyone know what kind it is? It had a tag on it years ago but don't have it anymore.

85fd6cb4.f10.jpg

I bought a vacation rental in windy hill and come to find out the previous owner planted a peach tree. Didn't think to much of it 3 years ago, but this year it actually started to sprout. Don't know if it will yield anything but pretty cool none the less.

On the left (if you couldn't tell) Anyone know what kind it is? It had a tag on it years ago but don't have it anymore.

85fd6cb4.f10.jpg
Looks like an aqua colored chair. If the one on the right has a tag, they are probably the same variety.

85fd6cb4.f10.jpg
If it's not a cross pollinating variety, you won't get any fruit. Better plant another another one to be sure. I used to have several, but all but one died, and now I get nothing from it.

If it's not a cross pollinating variety, you won't get any fruit. Better plant another another one to be sure. I used to have several, but all but one died, and now I get nothing from it.
How do I tell?

A Long Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against the Wall​

ice
1 part vodka
1 part sloe gin
1 part Southern Comfort
1 delicious peach
1 part Galliano

My tree is so loaded that I lost some branches after the most recent rain. Branches couldn't hold the weight of the peaches.
We considered planting a peach and an apple tree in our Atlanta back yard when we moved in 25 years ago, but since we're on septic, we were (still are) concerned about the effect such trees would have on the septic field.

We considered planting a peach and an apple tree in our Atlanta back yard when we moved in 25 years ago, but since we're on septic, we were (still are) concerned about the effect such trees would have on the septic field.
Odds are even if you did plant them, they may not have produced fruit. My Dad planted an apple tree in the drain field of their septic system years and years ago (30ish). The tree grew well, was always very green, but made no fruit. He said in hindsight, he felt like the tree got way too much nitrogen due to its location; always spending energy making leaves instead of fruit. Dad knew a good bit about plants and trees but had terrible luck with them. 😞 (What, if any, effect the roots had on the drain field, we don’t know. The tree is now gone, but the drain field did have to be redone a few years back - after 45yrs of service.)

Reactions: atl-cock
Odds are even if you did plant them, they may not have produced fruit. My Dad planted an apple tree in the drain field of their septic system years and years ago (30ish). The tree grew well, was always very green, but made no fruit. He said in hindsight, he felt like the tree got way too much nitrogen due to its location; always spending energy making leaves instead of fruit. Dad knew a good bit about plants and trees but had terrible luck with them. 😞 (What, if any, effect the roots had on the drain field, we don’t know. The tree is now gone, but the drain field did have to be redone a few years back - after 45yrs of service.)
I have always had a green thumb and plants have been a life long hobby. I have several peach trees, a pear tree, several fig trees, at least 10 blueberry bushes and a bunch of citrus trees (kumquat, meyers lemon, variegated pink lemon etc) and an olive tree. I have never had an issue with trees producing. Need to make sure you buy the right variety and put them in the right location. My pear tree needs a cross pollinator but there are others in the neighborhood so it's not an issue. Most blueberries don't need a cross pollinators but you get better production if you have multiple varieties.

My biggest issues are squirrels with peaches and pears. Birds with blueberries and figs. Nothing messes with my citrus.

Where are you located?

Reason I ask is I have good friends in the peach business and would be glad to see what I could do for you. The best peaches in sc are grown on the ridge. Lots of varieties can not be grown in the upstate that can be grown on the ridge due to timing of frost. Everyone this year that I know of has a bumper crop and are struggling to sale everything. I have spent the better part of half my life in the peach business.

Step one: fill glass half full with ice cubes

Step two: cover ice with Peach Crown

Step three: enjoy

Reactions: lilburncock

Can’t make a decent daiquiri until August.

Reason I ask is I have good friends in the peach business and would be glad to see what I could do for you. The best peaches in sc are grown on the ridge. Lots of varieties can not be grown in the upstate that can be grown on the ridge due to timing of frost. Everyone this year that I know of has a bumper crop and are struggling to sale everything. I have spent the better part of half my life in the peach business.
Where is “the ridge”? Thanks

I have always had a green thumb and plants have been a life long hobby. I have several peach trees, a pear tree, several fig trees, at least 10 blueberry bushes and a bunch of citrus trees (kumquat, meyers lemon, variegated pink lemon etc) and an olive tree. I have never had an issue with trees producing. Need to make sure you buy the right variety and put them in the right location. My pear tree needs a cross pollinator but there are others in the neighborhood so it's not an issue. Most blueberries don't need a cross pollinators but you get better production if you have multiple varieties.

My biggest issues are squirrels with peaches and pears. Birds with blueberries and figs. Nothing messes with my citrus.
You got to use those mesh screens and cover the blueberries and figs. That's the only way my dad could get any fruit before the dang birds stole everything. Just make sure you build a little system to keep it off the tree/bushes. Because the birds will just pick through it if it's touching the bushes/fruit.

McLeod Farms in McBee, S.C. Very reputable. They also run a stand in Lancaster several days a week during the summer.

Where is “the ridge”? Thanks
Poster already stated it ridge spring, monetta, parts of Johnston and Trenton. It’s a ridge that was created by the Savannah River glacier retreating during the end of the last ice age. More peaches are grown in the three counties that compose it, than in the whole state of Georgia. It is where a large percentage of people he east coast peaches come from. 3 of the peach growers in that area are in the top 10 largest stone fruit companies in the USA. Titan peaches is the largest followed by big smile and Dixie belle.

McLeod is in McBee, SC. Those are my favorite peaches in the state. Probably biased because I’m originally from the Pee Dee, but they’re good peaches.
Worked there for 4 summers. The late season Mac’s Pride peach was the best ones I have had in my life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT