ADVERTISEMENT

What's up with Marcus?

Cock-a-Doo

Dec 8, 2009
I love Marcus Lattimore. I think he's one person we can agree on more than any who we are all proud of and respect.
Reading some of his recent social media posts, he seems to really be going through a season of some deep stuff. My guess is no one really knows what is going on with him but I guess this is pretty clear to others who follow him?
My take is he seems to have lost or is losing connection with his previous faith and belief system and is driving head first into the "accept everything as good if you believe in it" and "all truth is subjective" lines of thinking.
I guess this is not anything new really - plenty have gone before him, I just wonder what has created this new path he is on...I certainly dont get the sense that its anything like depression or whatever but I dont know, I guess my personal feelings are just it never seems a person is moving more towards overall health when they go that route although that is the way the world is more accepting of you.
Love the guy, hoping nothing but the best in life for him!

I love Marcus Lattimore. I think he's one person we can agree on more than any who we are all proud of and respect.
Reading some of his recent social media posts, he seems to really be going through a season of some deep stuff. My guess is no one really knows what is going on with him but I guess this is pretty clear to others who follow him?
My take is he seems to have lost or is losing connection with his previous faith and belief system and is driving head first into the "accept everything as good if you believe in it" and "all truth is subjective" lines of thinking.
I guess this is not anything new really - plenty have gone before him, I just wonder what has created this new path he is on...I certainly dont get the sense that its anything like depression or whatever but I dont know, I guess my personal feelings are just it never seems a person is moving more towards overall health when they go that route although that is the way the world is more accepting of you.
Love the guy, hoping nothing but the best in life for him!
It's a secular society we live in, the culture calls it the post Christian age in America. I have no idea what he's going through, but all the qoutes of philosophers over the years are just that-qoutes from flawed human beings. Funny how we are seduced by them. I was at one time. Every day, there is less and less that men say that does not reflect the arrogance of being their own God. That is frightening. I wish him the best and I always thought highly of him. Hope he keeps his Bible nearby.

I don't follow his twitter page or the details of his personal life but maybe I'm missing something. I don't think think he took the job at Carolina for the money-he has plenty. Maybe he wants to try a new career. Why the assumption that he's lost his faith because he's leaving the football program?

Hope he's not dealing with depression. Going abroad to study psychology seems strange.
It does seem odd for a guy who was so publicly involved in sports and has so many opportunities here. On the other hand, we don’t really know him. Maybe this makes sense.

There’s nothing wrong with being non-Christian. To say otherwise is to crap on our Constitution.
I get that the Constitution allows the freedom to choose to follow whatever faith or religion one chooses. I think the concern is that based on some statements that were made, one who has been such a solid, serious Christian might be drifting from some of those principals. For the serious Christian, the same Constitution allows them the right to have concerns and the other book that their faith is based on warns of it all the time and says that every single one of us will answer for what we do with the claims of Christ.

Reactions: pisgah and 92Pony
Looked at his twitter. Yea, seems like he has bought into the ideas of universalism. Truth is truth. There is no such thing as "your truth" and "my truth." It is either truth or it is not truth. Truth does not change, nor are there multiple versions of it. He posts a lot of Eckhart Tolle quotes, the modern day father of universalism, so that tells you where he is getting that from. Lattimore tweeted "Live your truth! And ignore the opinions of people who aren’t living their truth."
"Uninterested in statuses and societies unrealistic expectations. Free of judgement, only acceptance for all. A profound realization of the one thing connects us all." Sorry Marcus. There are some things and some people who should not be accepted and that should be judged.

I don't mind sharing my truth. Most all eastern religions (from whence our new age friends glean "paths", reincarnation, universal salvation and pantheism) sound great to folks who don't want to be reminded that they actually do sin and may feel deep pangs of guilt for their wrongdoings. I guess it's much less stressful to pretend that you were really born "good" and by discovering your own "path" of enlightenment, you remain "good". Diligently and honestly studying those same beliefs, as well as the tenants of each belief system, and especially their origins and originators, forced me to ponder how anyone who deeply studied all religions could dismiss The Bible as an outdated fairytale.

As a therapist, I have noticed how drawn he's been to the effects of childhood trauma that reaches into adulthood. Stuff that Van Der Kolk is writing a lot about. Really, really important stuff. Getting a PhD in Europe is a different process than in the states- a better process in my opinion. That is my guess.

As for the spiritual side of things, we live in a post-christian world. Charles Taylor has done some really important thinking here. At the end of the day, Universalist theology eats itself. If you make a truth claim, you are making a judgment of some kind. Period. It's philosophically impossible to refute, really. So, it can not be true that "everyones truth is true". It would take a lot more time to argue than I have on here.

BUT, I love Marcus. Pray for him all the time!! He is doing really good work.

I figure Marcus is probably doing a little searching right now. While we all feel for Marcus with what happened to him athletically, it also had to have an effect on Marcus. And being involved with USC probably makes it worse. One knows that he meets people every day that remind him of what was, and what could have been. He was a star with a long pro career in the offing. Then in one moment it was gone. Am sure he appreciates being a USC treasure, but has to be a bit depressing to constantly be reminded of how quickly life can turn. Might be a nice alternative to go somewhere that nobody knows who he is. Maybe he just wants to be Marcus and see how that works out.

Looked at his twitter. Yea, seems like he has bought into the ideas of universalism. Truth is truth. There is no such thing as "your truth" and "my truth." It is either truth or it is not truth. Truth does not change, nor are there multiple versions of it. He posts a lot of Eckhart Tolle quotes, the modern day father of universalism, so that tells you where he is getting that from. Lattimore tweeted "Live your truth! And ignore the opinions of people who aren’t living their truth."
"Uninterested in statuses and societies unrealistic expectations. Free of judgement, only acceptance for all. A profound realization of the one thing connects us all." Sorry Marcus. There are some things and some people who should not be accepted and that should be judged.
I'm the opposite of this view. Love Eckhart Tolle; his books have helped me a lot

As a therapist, I have noticed how drawn he's been to the effects of childhood trauma that reaches into adulthood. Stuff that Van Der Kolk is writing a lot about. Really, really important stuff. Getting a PhD in Europe is a different process than in the states- a better process in my opinion. That is my guess.

As for the spiritual side of things, we live in a post-christian world. Charles Taylor has done some really important thinking here. At the end of the day, Universalist theology eats itself. If you make a truth claim, you are making a judgment of some kind. Period. It's philosophically impossible to refute, really. So, it can not be true that "everyones truth is true". It would take a lot more time to argue than I have on here.

Glad you posted that about truth and judgment. That's what stood out to me first reading these quotes posted here. Thought it might be just me. He talks about freedom of judgment and at the same time appears might judgy. Weird stuff.

It sounds like he is going through an existential “crisis,” and he’s pondering a lot of deep questions. This could go many ways, but Marcus is highly intelligent, and I trust that he will figure it all out. Many people have looked to him for guidance. I imagine that weighs heavily on a man eventually.

I have heard him say in interviews that he did not plan to spend the rest of his life around football, and he did not want to coach. I've been told that he plans to become a physical therapist. I stay far away from Twitter so have no idea about all that.

Reactions: tigertomreed
Not to be a knock on Marcus or Connor, but I have to wonder about the wisdom of these hires. They're Gamecock legends and we all love them and they are great ambassadors for the school, but these guys are still in their 20s and still finding their own way in life. You're putting someone without any training/experience in counseling and putting them into a counseling position.

I know it gets us all pumped b/c it creates a link back to our glory days, but I have to wonder about the qualifications.

I get that the Constitution allows the freedom to choose to follow whatever faith or religion one chooses. I think the concern is that based on some statements that were made, one who has been such a solid, serious Christian might be drifting from some of those principals. For the serious Christian, the same Constitution allows them the right to have concerns and the other book that their faith is based on warns of it all the time and says that every single one of us will answer for what we do with the claims of Christ.
umm... didn't Jesus spend 40 days in the wilderness?

What I hear is a guy - who has had expectations heaped upon him since at least 8th grade - pondering a life that he never expected to be living. He's seeking a connection (a truth) to something beyond football and beyond USC - something that is more at the core of his nature as a human being.

And let's be honest about "Evangelical" Christianity; much of it is simply a power play that divides people - which is pretty much the opposite of how Jesus lived. So perhaps ML is trying to find some deeper meaning in his faith... something that is more true than the guilt, shame and righteousness of modern Christian Evangelism.

Or maybe he's just following interests that he's had for a long time, but never pursued.

Funny things can happen when people open their minds and broaden their perspectives through education.

Not to be a knock on Marcus or Connor, but I have to wonder about the wisdom of these hires. They're Gamecock legends and we all love them and they are great ambassadors for the school, but these guys are still in their 20s and still finding their own way in life. You're putting someone without any training/experience in counseling and putting them into a counseling position.

I know it gets us all pumped b/c it creates a link back to our glory days, but I have to wonder about the qualifications.
Oh, shut up already. Marcus and Connor are both outstanding individuals. They are far more qualified to counsel and be around football players than you could ever dream of being.

Your wisdom (or lack thereof) is on clear display every day. Go on back to Tigernet with all that B.S.. Thanks

Reactions: PC31
And let's be honest about "Evangelical" Christianity; much of it is simply a power play that divides people - which is pretty much the opposite of how Jesus lived.

Jesus begs to differ with your statement:

Luke 12:51 - Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other!

Matthew 10:34-35 - Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword. I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.

Last edited:
He could probably use some time away from being "Marcus Lattimore- Gamecock Legend" and try to figure out who is he. He's still young and it's probably more stifling than you think to be received by the world the same way- over and over and over. Even if your received positively all the time; maybe especially if your received positively all the time. Sounds like he longing for anonymity and a chance to grow.

What I hear is a guy - who has had expectations heaped upon him since at least 8th grade - pondering a life that he never expected to be living. He's seeking a connection (a truth) to something beyond football and beyond USC - something that is more at the core of his nature as a human being.

And let's be honest about "Evangelical" Christianity; much of it is simply a power play that divides people - which is pretty much the opposite of how Jesus lived. So perhaps ML is trying to find some deeper meaning in his faith... something that is more true than the guilt, shame and righteousness of modern Christian Evangelism.

Or maybe he's just following interests that he's had for a long time, but never pursued.

Funny things can happen when people open their minds and broaden their perspectives through education.
I mean, we probably share some similar points of view about the evangelical label. It's taken on more of a sociological importance in the way it gets expressed (in a cultural manner) more than anything else. I would probably be accused of holding a lot of similar theological beliefs that are typically called "evangelical", but cringe at the idea of being considered an evangelical. I do not want my life to look at all like most evangelicals' look. But, I still think Jesus made truth claims that either make him a lunatic or make him who he claimed to be. Not much wiggle room there. Can't have both at the same time.

Jesus begs to differ with your statement: Luke 12:51 - Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other!
Cool... pull things out of context and you can make a case for just about anything. In this chapter, Jesus is talking about what people will think of him and what he was doing - which was trying to shine a light on the dominance structure of the Jewish Church (and to a lesser extent, the Roman Empire) which cast people out as un-chosen ones. If you look at his life as a whole, he wanted people to think about their connection to God and their connection to others within the context of their connection to God - because the Jewish church at the time was focused on ritual and material rather than spiritual.

Reactions: GeoCocky
I appreciate everyone keeping things above the belt on this posts....
I do see the common thread that we all want nothing but the best for him...
I do think this idea of "truth" is very interesting.
I personally find it hard to believe how those who buy into a "all truth being relative" worldview dont see how that is a self-defeating mindset but I do know that sometimes we all have to do some soul searching to find our ways...and he seems to be grateful/thankful for the opportunity to do that.
Again, hoping nothing but the best for him!!!

Earlier in my life you would say that person is changing and all is fine. These days you have to wonder about early onset of bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or even CTE. One of my best friends from high school started to question religion as an adult before he was eventually diagnosed with schizophrenia. It was odd. He continues to struggle with it and it's completely unfair for that to happen to such a great person.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
konj-posro-curu.gif

Tolle has also been heavily promoted by Oprah, on both her "SuperSoul 100" list and book list.

I’ve known Marcus Lattimore for a long time he graduated with my son. Him, Nick Jones and Bobby Bentley’s kids all played ball together and hung out at each other’s houses. So I got to know all of them pretty good, and one thing we all knew was that Marcus was special. He was a great kid with a bright football future, and he had it all planned out. First he only thought he was good enough to play at Newberry or Presbyterian but we knew better than that, “but Marcus was humble, and when he got to High School it all exploded! Everything pointed to him being a sure thing, a can’t miss prospect” the kind of player, who could win the Heisman Trophy one day. Then his freshman year at USC he lived up to the hype and everyone saw he was NFL ready. To make a long story short we all know what happened and his NFL career didn’t pan out. Marcus is still disturbed about it, He’s a young man who probably could’ve been the best running back in the league. Getting away from the pressure of being in a country where NFL football is king will probably give him a better perspective on life. At least I hope.

I figure Marcus is probably doing a little searching right now. While we all feel for Marcus with what happened to him athletically, it also had to have an effect on Marcus. And being involved with USC probably makes it worse. One knows that he meets people every day that remind him of what was, and what could have been. He was a star with a long pro career in the offing. Then in one moment it was gone. Am sure he appreciates being a USC treasure, but has to be a bit depressing to constantly be reminded of how quickly life can turn. Might be a nice alternative to go somewhere that nobody knows who he is. Maybe he just wants to be Marcus and see how that works out.

POTY

Cool... pull things out of context and you can make a case for just about anything. In this chapter, Jesus is talking about what people will think of him and what he was doing - which was trying to shine a light on the dominance structure of the Jewish Church (and to a lesser extent, the Roman Empire) which cast people out as un-chosen ones. If you look at his life as a whole, he wanted people to think about their connection to God and their connection to others within the context of their connection to God - because the Jewish church at the time was focused on ritual and material rather than spiritual.
Is that what he was doing? Interested to see where you got that idea.

I'll pray for Marcus, but I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about a person I dont even know. I'll try to be a positive influence and witness to those in my tiny little sphere and pray that somebody in Marcus' sphere will be a positive influence and witness to him. It's a big and messed up world, overwhelmingly so. I dont know how to effect it other than to focus my efforts on my own "house."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT