ADVERTISEMENT

What's up with Marcus?

Most likely that.
Many of us have been there..young, idealistic, taken by popular music lyrics (Universalist Jackson Browne for me, apparently Lauren Hill? for ML), idolizing TV stars (Woodward and Bernstein for me..yikes!!!!, Anthony Bourdain? For ML). I have always followed ML on Twitter, guessing based on what he put out there.

Whatever trauma, alot or none, whatever our status, young Christians in a college environment (and elsewhere) have struggled. It used to be that most of us would return to the fold. But now, the entertainment/media and music industries have declared war on Christianity, and adopted a political and victimization narrative defined to gut America of the faith. They are winning. It's sad.

Good luck Connor, college ain't the same place you were before. Hopefully you are more resilient than many of us at a young age.

Last edited:
Just shootin' straight man.

"Shaw will run the Beyond Football program at South Carolina, which focuses on career development, mental health, financial literacy and life skills."

https://247sports.com/college/south...amecocks-connor-shaw-plans-new-job-142290931/

In my personal opinion, you need a true professional to oversee a program that encompasses such broad categories, particularly something as serious as mental health. Neither Marcus nor Connor have any qualifications to be dealing with mental health issues.

Now, it may be entirely possible that Lattimore and Shaw are more or less figureheads.

We have a large support staff on hand, including access to mental health professionals. Marcus/Connor were/are just pieces of the puzzle. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, they’re not going to be doing one on one crisis therapy.

Reactions: PC31
God himself said there is something wrong with it. Any belief other than Christianity is wrong. I’ll side with God over US constitution.

Shame you can’t tell that to the millions of people killed over hundreds of years in the name of Christianity.

Or the thousands and thousands of young boys whose molestation was sanctioned and covered up by the Catholic Church.

I still consider myself a Christian. But....have to admit, my faith has been terribly shaken by traumatic events involving my family and a devout Christian.

It’s incredibly short sighted to not question one’s faith, and religion as a whole.

Maybe Marcus’s faith has been tested by what experiences players have discussed with him? Perfectly understandable.

Reactions: HI Cock
Shame you can’t tell that to the millions of people killed over hundreds of years in the name of Christianity.

Or the thousands and thousands of young boys whose molestation was sanctioned and covered up by the Catholic Church.

I still consider myself a Christian. But....have to admit, my faith has been terribly shaken by traumatic events involving my family and a devout Christian.

It’s incredibly short sighted to not question one’s faith, and religion as a whole.

Maybe Marcus’s faith has been tested by what experiences players have discussed with him? Perfectly understandable.

There are many who call themselves Christian, and who wouldnt know a true Christian if they punched them (in righteous indignation of course) upside the head! One should really understand what it is they believe and why they believe that, rather than just sign up under the label. As to having your faith shaken by the actions of another "Christian", part of me understands but part of me wants to ask what it is you have put your faith and trust in? You will be disappointed every time if you put your faith and trust in human beings.

Reactions: midline and Brace1
There are many who call themselves Christian, and who wouldnt know a true Christian if they punched them (in righteous indignation of course) upside the head! One should really understand what it is they believe and why they believe that, rather than just sign up under the label. As to having your faith shaken by the actions of another "Christian", part of me understands but part of me wants to ask what it is you have put your faith and trust in? You will be disappointed every time if you put your faith and trust in human beings.
The last sentence is the most accurate statement ever written on FGF. It is humans who have too often hijacked the Christian faith. That's why we Christians place our faith in God, not the title, not the people representing it, not those who profit from it.

Many of us have been there..young, idealistic, taken by popular music lyrics (Universalist Jackson Browne for me, apparently Lauren Hill? for ML), idolizing TV stars (Woodward and Bernstein for me..yikes!!!!, Anthony Bourdain? For ML). I have always followed ML on Twitter, guessing based on what he put out there.

Whatever trauma, alot or none, whatever our status, young Christians in a college environment (and elsewhere) have struggled. It used to be that most of us would return to the fold. But now, the entertainment/media and music industries have declared war on Christianity, and adopted a political and victimization narrative defined to gut America of the faith. They are winning. It's sad.

Good luck Connor, college ain't the same place you were before. Hopefully you are more resilient than many of us at a young age.
I'm not Christian, so please don't include me in "us". Thanks.

Jesus begs to differ with your statement:

Luke 12:51 - Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other!

Matthew 10:34-35 - Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword. I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
I agree. Jesus was very tolerant of all religions.

I'm not Christian, so please don't include me in "us". Thanks.
I tend to use "many" to try to account for such considerations and exceptions. I believe it's right there in the post. Yep, it says " many of us." But, as I seconded later, if you place your trust in people and not God, as was stated by another poster, you will be let down. Sorry I let you down.

In Judaism, I believe if you weren't a part, then you perished. Jesus said just because you don't know the truth doesn't mean you perish. I might be wrong, but didn't he say the holy spirit is in all of us?

In Judaism, I believe if you weren't a part, then you perished. Jesus said just because you don't know the truth doesn't mean you perish. I might be wrong, but didn't he say the holy spirit is in all of us?
I don't think Jesus said the holy spirit is in all of us. What he said was he is the only way to the Father and without him we all will perish.

And other non-Christian religions as well, i.e., religion in general.
With the exception of perhaps Dawkins or Hitchens, I have never heard attacks from the media or the establishment on any other religion except for Christianity. Its Christianity that they all consider public enemy #1 because it is so radically different and teaches in absolutes, as well as that there is only one way to Heaven and reconciliation with the Creator.

With the exception of perhaps Dawkins or Hitchens, I have never heard attacks from the media or the establishment on any other religion except for Christianity. Its Christianity that they all consider public enemy #1 because it is so radically different and teaches in absolutes, as well as that there is only one way to Heaven and reconciliation with the Creator.
Sounds like Islam to me.

Sounds like Islam to me.
Really? You think Islam and Christianity sound the same? Islam has no concept of a loving God at all. In fact, most of the time, Allah is considered a pretty harsh and distant god. In Islam, you do all the things you are supposed to do and hope that Allah accepts you into eternity. Allah would never even consider sending anyone to die as a sacrifice for sins for us peasant humans. Jesus is considered a prophet but not the Son of God. However, it probably is the only other religion that teaches just one way - and that being through Allah. Christianity believes in the Trinity – Muslims don’t. Christians believe Jesus is God’s one and only Son – Muslims don’t. Christians believe that salvation is by grace alone through faith in Jesus Christ – Muslims don’t.
Christianity teaches that God looked down in love towards his fallen creation, but also in anger and righteous indignation over our sin - that He is ultimately and purely holy and righteous and is offended by our sin. Despite that, He loved us and realized that the only way that he could blot out that sin nature was to send his Son as a sacrifice. He knew that it would be impossible for us to do anything ourselves. At the crucifixion, God literally turned his back on his son Jesus while on the cross. Jesus took our penalty for our sin, allowing God the Father to pardon us, forgive us and accept us as his own. It teaches that the ONLY way that one can enter heaven is through placing his trust in that sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross for us - that we can do nothing on our own.
Quite a large gap in the two if you ask me.......

This is sort of veering down into a religious debate which i think we should just nip in the bud...not really the point. I think there have been some good insights. We all sort of go through this - i think for me it was after working a "career job" for 2 years it just hit me one day like "Oh my goodness, I'm stuck in this life already and never got a chance to get out and roam around and find out what I really liked vs. just staying here in the south"
Its just one of those things - clearly, everyone here has nothing but love for ML....this here I think maybe sums all this up the best - quick and to the point:
Marcus could simply wanting to see who Marcus really is and not what people expect him to be. He's still a young guy with much to understand.

Last edited:
......... . However, it [Islam] probably is the only other religion that teaches just one way - and that being through Allah........

I agree with you regarding the theological details and the differences between Christianity and Islam. However, I was merely highlighting that notwithstanding those details, each strongly preaches that theirs is the only way, and it is that, and that alone, which I was trying to point out.

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
I figure Marcus is probably doing a little searching right now. While we all feel for Marcus with what happened to him athletically, it also had to have an effect on Marcus. And being involved with USC probably makes it worse. One knows that he meets people every day that remind him of what was, and what could have been. He was a star with a long pro career in the offing. Then in one moment it was gone. Am sure he appreciates being a USC treasure, but has to be a bit depressing to constantly be reminded of how quickly life can turn. Might be a nice alternative to go somewhere that nobody knows who he is. Maybe he just wants to be Marcus and see how that works out.
This is right on target! Good stuff

Reactions: atl-cock
I don't think Jesus said the holy spirit is in all of us. What he said was he is the only way to the Father and without him we all will perish.
You mean what people said he said. Jesus didn't write anything.

As a therapist, I have noticed how drawn he's been to the effects of childhood trauma that reaches into adulthood. Stuff that Van Der Kolk is writing a lot about. Really, really important stuff. Getting a PhD in Europe is a different process than in the states- a better process in my opinion. That is my guess.

As for the spiritual side of things, we live in a post-christian world. Charles Taylor has done some really important thinking here. At the end of the day, Universalist theology eats itself. If you make a truth claim, you are making a judgment of some kind. Period. It's philosophically impossible to refute, really. So, it can not be true that "everyones truth is true". It would take a lot more time to argue than I have on here.

BUT, I love Marcus. Pray for him all the time!! He is doing really good work.

Charles Taylor's work, specifically 'A Secular Age', is really great stuff. A bit of a hard read, but worth the time. As I was working my way through seminary, I read it as an outside interest (not for a class or paper). It really helped me understand where we are in America today. Thanks for mentioning it.

Probably time to lock this thead.
Ah, I assume San Francisco - used to be my favorite city. Now, it's a cesspool. Perhaps the approach that wants to shut up everybody when they don't agree with you is what's led to the current situation. Maybe, you guys should let free speech and alternative views flourish instead of "locking" them down. Just a helpful thought.

You mean what people said he said. Jesus didn't write anything.
Numerous authors of the biblical texts were there as eyewitnesses and wrote down verbatim as to what he said. Any trial today that had the same amount of eyewitnesses to the events would be a slam dunk case. We have almost nothing left of Plato and other philosophers' writings, yet their existence and teachings are never challenged but somehow, there cannot be any validity to the biblical texts, of which we have thousands of original remaining texts. Suddenly in their case, there have to be multiple mistakes made by the authors, and they must be filled with lies and hearsay, according to the skeptics.

Reactions: 92Pony
As to having your faith shaken by the actions of another "Christian", part of me understands but part of me wants to ask what it is you have put your faith and trust in? You will be disappointed every time if you put your faith and trust in human beings.

I learned a long time ago about putting faith and trust in human beings.

As for Christian faith? Again, look at all of the people killed over the past several hundred years by Christians, in the name of Christianity.

Look at the thousands and thousands of children molested and having their lives ruined by representatives of the Catholic Church... which has sanctioned and covered up the abuse at all levels.

As someone who has seen firsthand the damage wrought to an innocent child by a bible thumping, fire and brimstone preaching “Christian”, it’s understandable to have one’s faith shaken. It’s hard to maintain faith in a kind and loving God when innocent children are forever changed by the actions of those using him and faith in him as a cover.

Aaron Rodgers right now is under fire from Christians for stating his beliefs have changed. Maybe Marcus has had his faith changed the same way... I’m not going to criticize him for it because I totally get it.

I always wondered what the deal was between he and his family, that's been going on for awhile.

It's culturally "in" to publically question God because, as you know, we humans are going to solve it all. Right, sort of like the humans on the Packers successfully figured it out last week.

Numerous authors of the biblical texts were there as eyewitnesses and wrote down verbatim as to what he said. Any trial today that had the same amount of eyewitnesses to the events would be a slam dunk case. We have almost nothing left of Plato and other philosophers' writings, yet their existence and teachings are never challenged but somehow, there cannot be any validity to the biblical texts, of which we have thousands of original remaining texts. Suddenly in their case, there have to be multiple mistakes made by the authors, and they must be filled with lies and hearsay, according to the skeptics.
?

For what it's worth, I didn't say anything about the invalidity of the Bible. Just trying to stick to the facts. None of the New Testament was written by an eyewitness, and none of it was written until about a generation later. I just don't assume that it is a verbatim account of what happened (especially since they were speaking Aramaic that was then written in Greek and translated to English - not to mention the differing accounts of certain events in the Gospels). Doesn't mean it didn't happen or that there's nothing to learn from it. I try to look at the big picture rather than focus on taking things literally.

You know. Back in 2010....we were just starting to rebuild from the Great Recession. Being a small business person. It seemed as if the world had been turned upside down. What worked before, no longer worked. We had find ways to do things differently.

Marcus, Alshon, and many more picked a lot of us up, and put smiles on our face. Made it easier in a way to go back to work on Monday and grind.

So for all that. I hope Marcus gets whatever he’s going after. And if there’s a way that I could help him, then I’d really like the opportunity to do so. He doesn’t know what he did for me, but I owe him for him being good to me. .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT