ADVERTISEMENT

Whats your favorite Golf Courses you have played?

Cuscowilla in Putnam County, GA which is on Lake Oconee, like putting on hardwood floors

I played Patriots a couple of weeks ago when I was in town. I was really shocked and disappointed in the conditions. It was much better 30 years ago. The harbor views are all it has going for it now. Did you break 100 on the Ocean Course? I'm guessing not.....
It’s too bad about Patriots Point. Once shot an 87 there. My best on the Ocean Course was a 101. Double bogeyed 18 :mad:

Reactions: uscedge21
I grew up in MB area so played a ton there. I loved Caledonia because it was a beautiful course. Blackmore was fun and I did my best on that course. Barefoot courses were fun as well. I would have to say my absolute least favorite course I have ever played has to be here in midlands area. It is Mid Carolina on way to Newberry. The course is ok but I have had 3 different times playing there and run into the rudest people ever on a golf course. Several nice people but those few times were enough to tell me I dont enjoy going there at all.
My favorite hole i have played is Waterloo at the Dunes Club. Super hard but fun. I birdied it the first time I played it by luck but never did much better than double bogie after that.
Hate you feel that way and there are some bad apples there as is on any course. I have been a member there since 81. My member number is 728. Get them to point me out and I'll buy you a cocktail from the bar and try to calm your thoughts about the membership. Most of the folks are really nice, men and women.

I’ve been lucky to play a few good ones:
1) Pine Valley
2) Pebble Beach
3) Muirfield Village
4) Cabo Del Sol (Ocean)
5) Ocean Course (Kiawah)
6) Pasatiempo
7) Sage Valley
8) TPC Sawgrass
9) Atlanta Athletic Club (played today)
10) Erin Hills
11) Tobacco Road
12) Eastlake
13) Harbor Town
14) Torrey Pines South
15) Canterbury
16) Spyglass Hill
17) TPC Scottsdale
18) Spanish Bay
19) Atlanta Country Club
20) Kapalua Plantation Course

As separate notes:
1) I purposely didn’t rank the Streamsong courses, but they are all awesome. You need to plan a vacation there...
2) I’m going to Bandon Dunes this weekend and I’m totally stoked about that.
3) Sadly, I had to cancel a trip to Scotland and Ireland for this year. The list of courses was incredible, so hopefully next year will work out.

I played Augusta National 40 years ago and it is still top of my list. But if I had to play only one more round it would be Pebble Beach. Been lucky to play there 5 times and it is breathtaking and fun. Here’s my list:

1. Augusta National
2. Pebble Beach
3. Cypress Point (the hardest place to get a on)
4. Ocean Course Kiawah
5. Old Course St Andrews
6. Muirfield in Scotland
7. Lahinch in Ireland
8. Shinnecock
9. Peachtree Golf Club Atlanta (sister course to Augusta)
10. Ballybunion
11. Royal Dornoch Scotland
12. East Lake Atlanta (Bobby Jones history)

Never was a fan of Pinehurst No.2. I wish was the golfer i once was. Age is the great equalizer.

I played Patriots a couple of weeks ago when I was in town. I was really shocked and disappointed in the conditions. It was much better 30 years ago. The harbor views are all it has going for it now. Did you break 100 on the Ocean Course? I'm guessing not.....
It’s too bad about Patriots Point. Once shot an 87 there. My best on the Ocean Course was a 101. Double bogeyed 18 :mad:

#17 at Patriots Point is something else. I've hit anthing from SW to 3 iron there, depending upon the wind.

Coopers creek was the best. Not just the course but the people. As a member you always knew there was a group playing almost everyday. We would play a Saturday and a Sunday until we could not see. I miss it
There is a few cooper creek guys playing at Indian trail in Batesburg now.

Hate you feel that way and there are some bad apples there as is on any course. I have been a member there since 81. My member number is 728. Get them to point me out and I'll buy you a cocktail from the bar and try to calm your thoughts about the membership. Most of the folks are really nice, men and women.
Thanks, I do know several members that are nice, very nice actually, but a few have been less than welcoming. Even to the point of fussing at some younger golfers involved in the local Hoottie summer golf series about being in their way while those younger golfers were in the middle of a tournament. Younger ones were doing nothing wrong or disrespectful but playing a round of golf and not slow by any means. As a matter of fact my daughter was in the last group and was group fussed at by other women for not playing fast enough. My daughter was actually shooting a round in mid to low 80's so it was not for bad play but rather a large group of young people playing slowing all down. The young people had to walk as well and not on carts.
Thanks for the offer and maybe I will take you up on it. I know there are alot of good people there, I just seem to have been there at times of the not so good.

Since the thread is about your favorite course then I will say my home course, Cateechee in Hartwell. In Myrtle we love to play Arcadian Shores, It is a solid old course and they treat you right. We loved Heritage but the POP has gotten horrible. Played Ocean Course, no thanks, out of my league.
I played Arcadian Shores alot as I worked summers at Sands Ocean Club in College and played on the way home after work there. I loved the fun of trying to play form the "Tiger" tees they had there a while back. Not sure if they still have those or not.

I grew up in MB area so played a ton there. I loved Caledonia because it was a beautiful course. Blackmore was fun and I did my best on that course. Barefoot courses were fun as well. I would have to say my absolute least favorite course I have ever played has to be here in midlands area. It is Mid Carolina on way to Newberry. The course is ok but I have had 3 different times playing there and run into the rudest people ever on a golf course. Several nice people but those few times were enough to tell me I dont enjoy going there at all.
My favorite hole i have played is Waterloo at the Dunes Club. Super hard but fun. I birdied it the first time I played it by luck but never did much better than double bogie after that.
I grew up in NMB - The Surf Club and The Dunes Club were the two most private golf clubs in the area

My 5..

Secession in Beaufort
Oxmoor Valley in Birmingham
Torry Pines in San Diego
Palmetto in Aiken
Gordon Lakes at Ft Gordon in Augusta where I first started playing as a child

I played Augusta National 40 years ago and it is still top of my list. But if I had to play only one more round it would be Pebble Beach. Been lucky to play there 5 times and it is breathtaking and fun. Here’s my list:

1. Augusta National
2. Pebble Beach
3. Cypress Point (the hardest place to get a on)
4. Ocean Course Kiawah
5. Old Course St Andrews
6. Muirfield in Scotland
7. Lahinch in Ireland
8. Shinnecock
9. Peachtree Golf Club Atlanta (sister course to Augusta)
10. Ballybunion
11. Royal Dornoch Scotland
12. East Lake Atlanta (Bobby Jones history)

Never was a fan of Pinehurst No.2. I wish was the golfer i once was. Age is the great equalizer.
That’s quite the list. I live in Atlanta but have yet to get on Peachtree, and would love to. I was invited to Cypress this month or next, but I’m not sure whether I will make it. Jealous of your list. I’ve played PB 4 times, and I tend to agree with you, but if I could play Augusta, I’d pick that in a heartbeat over PB. Also - Pine Valley I’d choose over Pebble. Most difficult but ingenious course I’ve ever played.

Unlike some of you rich people, I have to go for value. I think some of the Robert Trent Jones courses in Alabama are great for the price. One called The Judge is memorable.

Reactions: king ward
Unlike some of you rich people, I have to go for value. I think some of the Robert Trent Jones courses in Alabama are great for the price. One called The Judge is memorable.
Pinetuck in Rock Hill..
You rich folk make me sick!!
giphy.gif

Last edited:
That’s quite the list. I live in Atlanta but have yet to get on Peachtree, and would love to. I was invited to Cypress this month or next, but I’m not sure whether I will make it. Jealous of your list. I’ve played PB 4 times, and I tend to agree with you, but if I could play Augusta, I’d pick that in a heartbeat over PB. Also - Pine Valley I’d choose over Pebble. Most difficult but ingenious course I’ve ever played.
I don't know why anyone above a single-digit handicap would even attempt Pine Valley. It is built to crumple the golfer, and for me, golf needs to have fun potential.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I’ve been lucky to play a few good ones:
1) Pine Valley
2) Pebble Beach
3) Muirfield Village
4) Cabo Del Sol (Ocean)
5) Ocean Course (Kiawah)
6) Pasatiempo
7) Sage Valley
8) TPC Sawgrass
9) Atlanta Athletic Club (played today)
10) Erin Hills
11) Tobacco Road
12) Eastlake
13) Harbor Town
14) Torrey Pines South
15) Canterbury
16) Spyglass Hill
17) TPC Scottsdale
18) Spanish Bay
19) Atlanta Country Club
20) Kapalua Plantation Course

As separate notes:
1) I purposely didn’t rank the Streamsong courses, but they are all awesome. You need to plan a vacation there...
2) I’m going to Bandon Dunes this weekend and I’m totally stoked about that.
3) Sadly, I had to cancel a trip to Scotland and Ireland for this year. The list of courses was incredible, so hopefully next year will work out.
I've been to Bandon a couple of times. Great golf experience! Although I felt the courses didn't live up to the hype. Certainly good but not outstanding- I also felt there were many ridiculous greens. Would be interested in your summary when you get back.

Also my old man used to go to Pinehearst regularly, but quit going because everyone was so douchey. LOL

Bethpage Black for me. I grew up on Long Island and played it a ton of times in the 80's. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the stories with people waiting on lines real early in the morning to get a chance to play well they are all true. People would start around 12:00 midnight and camp out in their car to try and be first in line to play. Keep in mind there were 5 different courses at Bethpage not just the black course and they were all considerably easier to play than the black course. My buddies and I were not as crazy as the people getting there at 12:00 as we would get there about 4:30-5:00. The reason we could do that is that nobody wanted to play the black it was that hard so we were able to still get off pretty early in the morning.

Tennessee National is a good course, enjoyed my round there. The Resort Course at La Catera in San Antonio is a fun course, former home the Texas Open.

Pebble Beach
Spyglass
Spanish Bay
Olde Beau
Quail Hollow
Caledonia
Litchfield
Pawley's Plantation
Sea Gull (gone now?)
Glen Dornoch
Houndslake
Tidewater

Hard to say. For me it's Pebble Beach, the Cliffs or the Whitmire, SC 9 hole masterpiece.

I don't know why anyone above a single-digit handicap would even attempt Pine Valley. It is built to crumple the golfer, and for me, golf needs to have fun potential.
Fair - but it might be the hardest course in the world to get on, so when you get an invite, you play. That’s said, I am not a single digit. I played to a 15 when I played it and shot 102. Did I mention that I’m not a great bunker player? Every shot on that course was stressful...

Pebble Beach
Spyglass
Spanish Bay
Olde Beau
Quail Hollow
Caledonia
Litchfield
Pawley's Plantation
Sea Gull (gone now?)
Glen Dornoch
Houndslake
Tidewater
Isnt Glen Dornoch closed now? Been a while since I have been to that area. It was a good course also.

For me
Pebble Beach
Royal County Down
Old Head Golf Links (Kinsale Ireland)
Turnberry-Aisla
Ocean Course
Kingsbarn Golf Links (St Andrew)
Portrush & Portstwart
Old Course
Torrey Pines
Cassique

Few gems
World Woods both courses
(near Tampa/Orlando...kind of. Great in l997 after being open in 1995. But being somewhat of out of the way designation courses question if it has maintained. )
Cleghorn Golf & Sports Club (NC mountain)
Camden Country Club (classic Ross)
Fripp Inland Oceans Point

Least
Coldstream CC (has to be the worst course to learn how play with all homes and FENCES)

Last edited:
Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Since so many people here play golf , has anybody tried to get a game together,playing random courses?Or do you think we wouldn’t get along?lol..it might be fun to have 4-12 players so up for a rd to socialize.maybe put up $5-10 in a hat to give to a winning group.Maybe a once a month sorta thing.

Since so many people here play golf , has anybody tried to get a game together,playing random courses?Or do you think we wouldn’t get along?lol..it might be fun to have 4-12 players so up for a rd to socialize.maybe put up $5-10 in a hat to give to a winning group.Maybe a once a month sorta thing.
im in

Nothing wrong with these courses except hidden valley.but for around a $10 rd,it’s very playable.i haven’t been to the others in a while,they go down hill?
Hidden valley always has decent greens. But literally everything else is in terrible shape. It looks like they've attempted to eliminate some of their water/flooding issue but a couple of holes are unplayable. Charwood went way down hill for a number of years. Rock's wife took over and tried to run it into the ground after their divorce. I hear she's gone and Rock is back. Haven't been out there in a couple of years. Oak hills used to be in great shape year round. They lost their greens 3 years ago and haven't recovered. I love linrick. A hidden gem imo.

I have played Harbor Town and the Ocean Course at Kiawah. The Dunes Club in MB was great but when I was playing a lot of golf we would go to Aiken, SC several good courses there and Persimmon Hill in Saluda is very good. We loved any old Donald Ross designed courses. Camden CC is outstanding!

Reactions: thisisnextyr
I have played Harbor Town and the Ocean Course at Kiawah. The Dunes Club in MB was great but when I was playing a lot of golf we would go to Aiken, SC several good courses there and Persimmon Hill in Saluda is very good. We loved any old Donald Ross designed courses. Camden CC is outstanding!
Persimmon hill. Nice course. Home of the longest hole in SC. #18 630 yard par 5.

For me
Pebble Beach
Royal County Down
Old Head Golf Links (Kinsale Ireland)
Turnberry-Aisla
Ocean Course
Kingsbarn Golf Links (St Andrew)
Portrush & Portstwart
Old Course
Torrey Pines
Cassique

Few gems
World Woods both courses
(near Tampa/Orlando...kind of. Great in l997 after being open in 1995. But being somewhat of out of the way designation courses question if it has maintained. )
Cleghorn Golf & Sports Club (NC mountain)
Camden Country Club (classic Ross)
Fripp Inland Oceans Point

Least
Coldstream CC (has to be the worst course to learn how play with all homes and FENCES)
I’m playing a few of those next year when in Scotland/Ireland, but one that I’m not playing is Old Head, and I’ve heard it’s spectacular.

My very first membership was the Oak Hills/Coldstream combo. I was probably a 25 at the time and scared to death every time I played Coldstream.

Hidden valley always has decent greens. But literally everything else is in terrible shape. It looks like they've attempted to eliminate some of their water/flooding issue but a couple of holes are unplayable. Charwood went way down hill for a number of years. Rock's wife took over and tried to run it into the ground after their divorce. I hear she's gone and Rock is back. Haven't been out there in a couple of years. Oak hills used to be in great shape year round. They lost their greens 3 years ago and haven't recovered. I love linrick. A hidden gem imo.

I haven’t played Charwood in forever but a large part of that is it got to the point where the fairways were like hitting in the desert. I suck at golf so it shouldn’t have bothered me as much as it did. Dirt cheap back then though.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT