ADVERTISEMENT

Whats your favorite Golf Courses you have played?

Fair - but it might be the hardest course in the world to get on, so when you get an invite, you play. That’s said, I am not a single digit. I played to a 15 when I played it and shot 102. Did I mention that I’m not a great bunker player? Every shot on that course was stressful...
If given the choice between playing a very good resort course, such as Pinehurst #2 - or even a premier public course such as Torrey Pines - and playing Pine Valley, I'll choose one of the former two every time. I appreciate excellence, but I'm not volunteering even a day of my time to being pummeled, beyond the punishment my game already often imposes.

Hidden valley always has decent greens. But literally everything else is in terrible shape. It looks like they've attempted to eliminate some of their water/flooding issue but a couple of holes are unplayable. Charwood went way down hill for a number of years. Rock's wife took over and tried to run it into the ground after their divorce. I hear she's gone and Rock is back. Haven't been out there in a couple of years. Oak hills used to be in great shape year round. They lost their greens 3 years ago and haven't recovered. I love linrick. A hidden gem imo.
Last time I was at hidden valley the guy told me on that par 5 that’s downhill dogleg to the right up hill,(it’s always sandy)it was going to cost around $50,000(might be higher,can’t remember)to put in irrigation and for grass.last I heard charwood was in good shape.Ill have to ask my friend at work,he lives right next to it and plays there.was thinking about going Sunday around 5,it’s only $15.

For me
Pebble Beach
Few gems
World Woods both courses

Least
Coldstream CC (has to be the worst course to learn how play with all homes and FENCES)

It's said:
If you can play at Coldstream, you can play anywhere...

It would teach you how to place the ball in the right spots to make good scores. Hit it in the wrong spots and well, you're screwed...

A friend of mine joined me for a member/guest one year and after the 4th hole, he said to me: This is like playing in a hallway or closet... My only thought was - we're done...

If given the choice between playing a very good resort course, such as Pinehurst #2 - or even a premier public course such as Torrey Pines - and playing Pine Valley, I'll choose one of the former two every time. I appreciate excellence, but I'm not volunteering even a day of my time to being pummeled, beyond the punishment my game already often imposes.
I like playing courses that are exclusive. It’s an experience more than anything. Heck, if I wanted to play easy golf, I’d go to the local muni and play the front tees. The brilliance of PV is a site to see, and the stories from the caddies are priceless. Almost all of the exclusive courses will pummel you. I was ready to quit Sawgrass after 9 holes. I’m fairly certain I hit every bunker at PGA West. It’s all a part of the experience...

I am terrible at golf, but still play a little with friends. I have never played anywhere exceedingly fancy but have always enjoyed the Surf Club at North Myrtle Beach as well as Pine Lakes Country Club in Myrtle Beach. Both old style.

I like playing courses that are exclusive. It’s an experience more than anything. Heck, if I wanted to play easy golf, I’d go to the local muni and play the front tees. The brilliance of PV is a site to see, and the stories from the caddies are priceless. Almost all of the exclusive courses will pummel you. I was ready to quit Sawgrass after 9 holes. I’m fairly certain I hit every bunker at PGA West. It’s all a part of the experience...
I don't do masochism very well, and masochism to me seems incongruent with recreation. Those who are stimulated by debasement are welcome to it.

I will go a different direction here, but one of my favorites growing up was Peach Valley and Lan-Yair here in the Upstate. The Valley was definitely not the most scenic but great memories growing up and playing there with friends and my Dad. Rounds were $2 during the week and jumped to $3.50 on the weekend! Would love to be able play another round with my Dad

I’m playing a few of those next year when in Scotland/Ireland, but one that I’m not playing is Old Head, and I’ve heard it’s spectacular.

My very first membership was the Oak Hills/Coldstream combo. I was probably a 25 at the time and scared to death every time I played Coldstream.

Yeah Old Head just unbelievably. Played 2 rounds in 2001 only been open for 4 years. First perfect clear sunny day next day heavy mist light rain, like playing two different courses. Tees on some holes on 300 feet cliff edge and many fairway shots hitting over cliff drop to greens/fairways.

Played both Ballybunion, Lahinch, Waterville and Tralee(not a fan) on this trip and all rated higher then OH.
IMO not even close to Old Head.

Reactions: thisisnextyr
It's said:
If you can play at Coldstream, you can play anywhere...

It would teach you how to place the ball in the right spots to make good scores. Hit it in the wrong spots and well, you're screwed...

A friend of mine joined me for a member/guest one year and after the 4th hole, he said to me: This is like playing in a hallway or closet... My only thought was - we're done...

Coldstream was first course I was learning to play as an 15-18 old and not putting much effort into it because of playing others HS sports. As member played it probably 15 over though years and hated it. If not for my Beaufort USC roommates into golf my Sophomore year probably would never picked up a golf club again.

Last time I was at hidden valley the guy told me on that par 5 that’s downhill dogleg to the right up hill,(it’s always sandy)it was going to cost around $50,000(might be higher,can’t remember)to put in irrigation and for grass.last I heard charwood was in good shape.Ill have to ask my friend at work,he lives right next to it and plays there.was thinking about going Sunday around 5,it’s only $15.
That hole is unplayable. Doesn't matter how nice of a drive you hit, there's a 30% chance you lose your ball. No joke, hammered one down the middle last time there. Never found the ball.

That hole is unplayable. Doesn't matter how nice of a drive you hit, there's a 30% chance you lose your ball. No joke, hammered one down the middle last time there. Never found the ball.
That hole hasn’t changed in 20 years.it might be the worst hole I’ve ever played.

Hidden valley always has decent greens. But literally everything else is in terrible shape. It looks like they've attempted to eliminate some of their water/flooding issue but a couple of holes are unplayable. Charwood went way down hill for a number of years. Rock's wife took over and tried to run it into the ground after their divorce. I hear she's gone and Rock is back. Haven't been out there in a couple of years. Oak hills used to be in great shape year round. They lost their greens 3 years ago and haven't recovered. I love linrick. A hidden gem imo.

Hidden Valley is a mess right now. He's got crabgrass on several greens and about half the fairways. He is losing the road that connects 1 and 2 and 8 and 9 because of a washout. #7 on the front is ridiculous. If you remember, it is a par 5 dog leg right that goes down the hill and then back up. The fairway has rivers of sand across it. #16 on the back has similar problems - but not quite as bad. If he can't manage the water runoff and the crabgrass the course will end up closing in a few years like Sedgewood. I love the layout though - especially the back 9. From the green on #14 you can see a long way.

We also play Charwood, Northwoods and Linrick several times a year and I like those layouts too. The greens at Charwood are kept up and are really fast. The key is to get out early and beat the crowd. Northwoods is always busy like Linrick, and I can't stand to wait on every single shot. I have not played Oak Hills in a few years but if their greens are bad I won't bother. That leaves us with Indian River or going to Camden, Batesburg, Sumter or St. Matthews. Occasionally we go down to Santee and play Lake Marion or Santee National - have not done that in a few years.

I suppose I could join a Country Club. We pay about $1200-1500 a year to play golf. If I could find a club that we could join for that amount I'd probably do it. But I'm like Groucho Marx, why would I want to join a club that would have me as a member?

Reactions: Lou219
Oak Hill Rochester NY

At the top of bucket list with much needed help to get on

Augusta National.... the crown jewel nothing is close

... Occasionally we go down to Santee and play Lake Marion or Santee National - have not done that in a few years...
This summer, I have made a number of trips to the Santee area. I sometimes take some people with me and we meet up with my brother, who lives in Johns Island. This spring and summer, we have played Santee National, Lake Marion, and Wyboo Golf Club and have enjoyed them all. I will make at least one more trip down there this year, God willing.

if Lake City is the worst course you have played you haven’t played much around the Pee Dee
Lake City has good greens but the roots 2 fee t off the fairway is too much... I have probably played worse. Who is worse than Lake City in your mind.

I have more fun playing in the mountains than I do anywhere else. Especally in the summer. Favorite is Saphire Mountain In western NC. Used to be called Holly Forest. Par 71 because it has five par 3s. Carved pretty well into the mountains. Each hole is unique imo. Many tees are elevated for a heck of a view. One par 3 has you overlooking an island green in a pond. Another has you hitting from one ridge to another with a large rock on the left edge of the green. A par 4 has you teeing up to hit down in a valley and then dog leg hard left to an elevated green with a waterfall running down beside it. (I have a painting of that one in my home). That's just to name a few holes.
Not to mention the temperature is great in the summer. Problem is you have to have a little luck as to when you go. Too much of a rainy season and they cant maintain it all that well. But if the conditions are right, that course is tops in my book... and I've played quite a few good courses. Almost forgot, clubhouse is also a brewery, cant go wrong there.

This summer, I have made a number of trips to the Santee area. I sometimes take some people with me and we meet up with my brother, who lives in Johns Island. This spring and summer, we have played Santee National, Lake Marion, and Wyboo Golf Club and have enjoyed them all. I will make at least one more trip down there this year, God willing.
I like Wyboo. Played there a few weeks ago for the first time.

I like Wyboo. Played there a few weeks ago for the first time.
I played it earlier in the summer but too soon after they had areated the greens. Fairways were as good as you would want. We got rained out on our return week before last. We will be going back with our rainchecks as soon as the weather gets less unstable.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Hidden Valley is a mess right now. He's got crabgrass on several greens and about half the fairways. He is losing the road that connects 1 and 2 and 8 and 9 because of a washout. #7 on the front is ridiculous. If you remember, it is a par 5 dog leg right that goes down the hill and then back up. The fairway has rivers of sand across it. #16 on the back has similar problems - but not quite as bad. If he can't manage the water runoff and the crabgrass the course will end up closing in a few years like Sedgewood. I love the layout though - especially the back 9. From the green on #14 you can see a long way.

We also play Charwood, Northwoods and Linrick several times a year and I like those layouts too. The greens at Charwood are kept up and are really fast. The key is to get out early and beat the crowd. Northwoods is always busy like Linrick, and I can't stand to wait on every single shot. I have not played Oak Hills in a few years but if their greens are bad I won't bother. That leaves us with Indian River or going to Camden, Batesburg, Sumter or St. Matthews. Occasionally we go down to Santee and play Lake Marion or Santee National - have not done that in a few years.

I suppose I could join a Country Club. We pay about $1200-1500 a year to play golf. If I could find a club that we could join for that amount I'd probably do it. But I'm like Groucho Marx, why would I want to join a club that would have me as a member?
Played Indian river last week. Greens are horrible and have been for a while. They reversed the lay out, the back 9 is now the front 9. #5 green is gone. They have a makeshift green 30 yards in front of the actual green. Same thing on #16. You literally putt on the fairway. Its actually a better roll than their greens. They also cut all of the trees down on the front 9. Think I heard they did that to raise money for new carts. I could see this one closing real soon.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Grew up in Eau Claire,played Willow Lakes with dad and brother.I didn’t know what a good course was then.
Played East Lake in Atlanta in June.Truly a bucket list for me.
TPC Scottsdale
Bay Point -Panama City
Hombre-Panama City Both wel worth playing if ever there.

Lol I used to sneak out at night and fish at Baypoint in PCB . I’ve caught some monsters out there . Will probably do it again !! Haha. Very nice course .

Very enjoyable thread! No political bs! Hope it stays this way.

I played Timberlake shortly after it opened in '88. It was the first time I ever played on bent grass greens. Thought it was a nice layout. Would like to play again if it is in good shape.

Very enjoyable thread! No political bs! Hope it stays this way.

I played Timberlake shortly after it opened in '88. It was the first time I ever played on bent grass greens. Thought it was a nice layout. Would like to play again if it is in good shape.
I haven't played Timberlake in a long time. We used to enjoy going over there. I've seen them through three clubhouses. Mid-Carolina used to be a favorite of mine. Really well conditioned and old school. No artifice. But again, I've not been there for several years.

Without starting another thread, what are some courses you used to play that are no longer open? I miss Sandy Point near McBee, adjacent to Lake Robinson. It was a fun country golf course. I also had some pleasant days at Pineland Plantation, later known as Sumter National, where US 378 crosses I-95. It was a nice little remote track as well. I hated to lose those courses.

Played Indian river last week. Greens are horrible and have been for a while. They reversed the lay out, the back 9 is now the front 9. #5 green is gone. They have a makeshift green 30 yards in front of the actual green. Same thing on #16. You literally putt on the fairway. Its actually a better roll than their greens. They also cut all of the trees down on the front 9. Think I heard they did that to raise money for new carts. I could see this one closing real soon.
I hate to hear that. Our work group played it two or three times back in the 1990s and I remember a nice layout with big, undulating greens. We enjoyed it. Sorry to learn it has fallen on hard times.

I have friends in Charleston and 2 of us from Columbia used to meet the 2 Charleston friends at Lake Marion every Saturday. We stopped in 2016 because one of the guys developed back problems and had to stop playing.

I played there a lot back in the 90s when they had Bermuda greens. No. 6 was where I had my second hole-in-one. They rebuilt their greens sometime in the early 2000s and changed to bent grass - or some form of Bermuda that made the greens harder and faster.

I've developed sacroiliitis on the right which has gotten worse recently. I have an appointment with an orthopedist this Thursday. Hopefully I just need a steroid injection to reduce the inflammation. Maybe just some exercises. It is not painful enough to make me stop playing golf - yet.

I have friends in Charleston and 2 of us from Columbia used to meet the 2 Charleston friends at Lake Marion every Saturday. We stopped in 2016 because one of the guys developed back problems and had to stop playing.

I played there a lot back in the 90s when they had Bermuda greens. No. 6 was where I had my second hole-in-one. They rebuilt their greens sometime in the early 2000s and changed to bent grass - or some form of Bermuda that made the greens harder and faster.

I've developed sacroiliitis on the right which has gotten worse recently. I have an appointment with an orthopedist this Thursday. Hopefully I just need a steroid injection to reduce the inflammation. Maybe just some exercises. It is not painful enough to make me stop playing golf - yet.
All older golfers play through something. Sometimes more than one something.

I hate to hear that. Our work group played it two or three times back in the 1990s and I remember a nice layout with big, undulating greens. We enjoyed it. Sorry to learn it has fallen on hard times.
Indeed. My only eagle came on #6. Would've been #15 when you played there. Hoping someone has some money to put into it. They just need to get the greens under control. Everything else is ok.

Reactions: king ward
Indeed. My only eagle came on #6. Would've been #15 when you played there. Hoping someone has some money to put into it. They just need to get the greens under control. Everything else is ok.
Got my only eagle at Oristo down at Edisto. Don't even know if the course is there anymore. If I recall correctly, the front 9 and back 9 were totally different. There were some picturesque holes on the back side. Thinking about it makes me want to go back and play it again if it still exists.

I guess they haven’t recovered from the bad winter a couple years ago.charwood and a few others went thru the same thing.charwood got there’s back from what I hear.i signed up to get emails from charwood and this past winter when it got below freezing,they covered their greens or just had the course closed for the day.

Without starting another thread, what are some courses you used to play that are no longer open? I miss Sandy Point near McBee, adjacent to Lake Robinson. It was a fun country golf course. I also had some pleasant days at Pineland Plantation, later known as Sumter National, where US 378 crosses I-95. It was a nice little remote track as well. I hated to lose those courses.
There is only 3 that I’ve played and is shut down,coldstream(by the dam) coopers creak and sedgewood(my friend called it sedgeweed),now that course was unique to say the least.

I guess they haven’t recovered from the bad winter a couple years ago.charwood and a few others went thru the same thing.charwood got there’s back from what I hear.i signed up to get emails from charwood and this past winter when it got below freezing,they covered their greens or just had the course closed for the day.
Several of the newest hybrid Bermuda turf-grass strains used for greens demand coverage when cold temperatures set in. In Lancaster, we have been closed for several days at a time due to this. Courses neglect this at their peril.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT