ADVERTISEMENT

Whats your favorite Golf Courses you have played?

As for courses that have regrettably closed, I'll put in a word about Winyah Bay in Georgetown. It was owned by International Paper but my family were members there back in the 1960s. It was an excellent beach-style course with only nine holes, but it had two distinct sets of tees that made every hole play differently the second time around. Later, they added nine more holes to make it a par-70 18-hole course and it was nice and it was fun - and pretty. Several years back, it sadly closed to become a housing development which has barely managed to launch.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Without starting another thread, what are some courses you used to play that are no longer open? I miss Sandy Point near McBee, adjacent to Lake Robinson. It was a fun country golf course. I also had some pleasant days at Pineland Plantation, later known as Sumter National, where US 378 crosses I-95. It was a nice little remote track as well. I hated to lose those courses.
Wellman Club in Johnsonville was very good!

Indeed. My only eagle came on #6. Would've been #15 when you played there. Hoping someone has some money to put into it. They just need to get the greens under control. Everything else is ok.
It's hard to make a living these days owning and running a golf course. But it can be done. Word spreads quickly about conditions so if you let your reputation slip it is hard to get it back. I think the men that own Northwoods (The Spur) have done well because it is close to town and they stay on top of everything.

I have more fun playing in the mountains than I do anywhere else. Especally in the summer. Favorite is Saphire Mountain In western NC. Used to be called Holly Forest. Par 71 because it has five par 3s. Carved pretty well into the mountains. Each hole is unique imo. Many tees are elevated for a heck of a view. One par 3 has you overlooking an island green in a pond. Another has you hitting from one ridge to another with a large rock on the left edge of the green. A par 4 has you teeing up to hit down in a valley and then dog leg hard left to an elevated green with a waterfall running down beside it. (I have a painting of that one in my home). That's just to name a few holes.
Not to mention the temperature is great in the summer. Problem is you have to have a little luck as to when you go. Too much of a rainy season and they cant maintain it all that well. But if the conditions are right, that course is tops in my book... and I've played quite a few good courses. Almost forgot, clubhouse is also a brewery, cant go wrong there.

Try Olde Beau in Roaring Gap, North Carolina...

Stunning.. (or at least it use to be when I was playing)

Got my only eagle at Oristo down at Edisto. Don't even know if the course is there anymore. If I recall correctly, the front 9 and back 9 were totally different. There were some picturesque holes on the back side. Thinking about it makes me want to go back and play it again if it still exists.
It was revamped and is open again. They changed the name to "The Plantation Course at Edisto". Lots of new holes. Personally, I liked the old Oristo better.

Reactions: uscedge21
Without starting another thread, what are some courses you used to play that are no longer open? I miss Sandy Point near McBee, adjacent to Lake Robinson. It was a fun country golf course. I also had some pleasant days at Pineland Plantation, later known as Sumter National, where US 378 crosses I-95. It was a nice little remote track as well. I hated to lose those courses.
Used to be a course on Cat Island near Beaufort call The Sanctuary I'd hit when I'd go down to play Fripp Island. Nice when I played it last. Sorry to see it go.

Reactions: king ward
As for courses that have regrettably closed, I'll put in a word about Winyah Bay in Georgetown. It was owned by International Paper but my family were members there back in the 1960s. It was an excellent beach-style course with only nine holes, but it had two distinct sets of tees that made every hole play differently the second time around. Later, they added nine more holes to make it a par-70 18-hole course and it was nice and it was fun - and pretty. Several years back, it sadly closed to become a housing development which has barely managed to launch.
Are you talking about the course on South Island Road or the one that used to be on N. Frasier?

Did you ever play at Wedgefield?

I played Pineland Country Club a couple of times many years ago and loved the layout through the pine forest. After it closed I would look for the entrance whenever I drove by. Eventually, it was swallowed up by the forest.

Did you ever play Persimmon Hill near Saluda?

Are you talking about the course on South Island Road or the one that used to be on N. Frasier?

I played Pineland Country Club a couple of times many years ago and loved the layout through the pine forest. After it closed I would look for the entrance whenever I drove by. Eventually, it was swallowed up by the forest.

Did they close Persimmon hill?

Actually I was talking about the one on South Island Road. But I also played the Georgetown County County Club on N. Frazier a few times. It was OK and it was convenient. It was near our house in Kensington. Yes, I have played Wedgefield a couple of times but not since it has been under the current ownership. I wish them the best. I remember it as a nice layout with serious drainage issues (Wetfield).

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Actually I was talking about the one on South Island Road. But I also played the Georgetown County County Club on N. Frazier a few times. It was OK and it was convenient. It was near our house in Kensington. Yes, I have played Wedgefield a couple of times but not since it has been under the current ownership. I wish them the best. I remember it as a nice layout with serious drainage issues (Wetfield).

The fairways are too flat to drain well - especially the front side. The back is better until you get to 16. All in all the course lacks any really spectacular holes. Most are just straight holes winding through a residential area.

Yeah Old Head just unbelievably. Played 2 rounds in 2001 only been open for 4 years. First perfect clear sunny day next day heavy mist light rain, like playing two different courses. Tees on some holes on 300 feet cliff edge and many fairway shots hitting over cliff drop to greens/fairways.

Played both Ballybunion, Lahinch, Waterville and Tralee(not a fan) on this trip and all rated higher then OH.
IMO not even close to Old Head.
I went on the “same “ trip as you 2015. Old Head was amazing. We went north loop last year. County Down and Port Rush stood out. I am a sucker for anything Irish.

Reactions: vpUSC and king ward
I forgot to mention crickentree?i think I misspelled it.i liked it also.played it 2-3 times.i liked it because you had to hit golf shots not just bomb driver.

Oh no ... sorry. That was out of context. I was just asking if he had played there. AFAIK it is still open.
It’s still open but there cart shed burnt down either late last year or early this year.im sure they got it fixed or atleast new carts.one of the sr golfers I play with played there not long ago.

This is off topic but as I was replying to a comment my son called me up and asked me where I was.i said the hospital,I was trying to pass a stone.he said “since you isn’t doing nothing I need help with my computer”.i told him idk and he will have to wait till I get home..didn’t asked me how I was doing.lol..kids these days.

Has Anyone played courses on the RTJ Golf Trail? Any in particular they liked? Always wanted play some of these. Going to try and plan a trip to do this.

I forgot to mention crickentree?i think I misspelled it.i liked it also.played it 2-3 times.i liked it because you had to hit golf shots not just bomb driver.
I like that.
That's one reason I like mountain courses. You want to hit it the middle of the fairway, you need to hug one side or the other and let it feed there most times. I'll usually leave the driver in the bag. That said, the ball does travel farther up in that thin air... so theres that.

Anyone played Cleghorn Plantation, near Forrest City, N.C? Very pretty place, and challenging, in that all the characteristics of mountain golf are in evidence on this foothills course. Reading putts there will drive you nuts.

It seems like the courses in Scotland get the publicity, but Ireland seems like it would have better golf courses. Just wondering if anybody has played in both places and what you thought.

The fairways are too flat to drain well - especially the front side. The back is better until you get to 16. All in all the course lacks any really spectacular holes. Most are just straight holes winding through a residential area.
How is business there now? Are they going to make it?

Lake City has good greens but the roots 2 fee t off the fairway is too much... I have probably played worse. Who is worse than Lake City in your mind.
kingstree. Dillon. Couple of Florence courses. Bishopville. Lamar. Andrews. Darlington and Lake City tie right now. Lake city actually is is very good shape now. Lots of grass , greens nice except small and as always very tight. I hope the county reopens Old Wellman. A very good course Lake City has grown a lot of grass the past 3 months and is very good at present.

I used to play Traces in Florence quite often and found it a pleasant experience. Is it still a nice course? What about Fox Creek between Bishopville and Hartsville?

I grew up in MB area so played a ton there. I loved Caledonia because it was a beautiful course. Blackmore was fun and I did my best on that course. Barefoot courses were fun as well. I would have to say my absolute least favorite course I have ever played has to be here in midlands area. It is Mid Carolina on way to Newberry. The course is ok but I have had 3 different times playing there and run into the rudest people ever on a golf course. Several nice people but those few times were enough to tell me I dont enjoy going there at all.
My favorite hole i have played is Waterloo at the Dunes Club. Super hard but fun. I birdied it the first time I played it by luck but never did much better than double bogie after that.
Never had a problem with anyone at Mid- Carolina. Always enjoyed the course. I'm sorry you ran into a problem.

kingstree. Dillon. Couple of Florence courses. Bishopville. Lamar. Andrews. Darlington and Lake City tie right now. Lake city actually is is very good shape now. Lots of grass , greens nice except small and as always very tight. I hope the county reopens Old Wellman. A very good course Lake City has grown a lot of grass the past 3 months and is very good at present.
Tom Kites group bought Wellman. He wants to make it a municipal course and ran into snags. It's all grown out now. Wellman used to be one of the best courses in the Pee Dee..

grande dunes the dunes surf club ocean course wild dunes kenmure [nc] tidewater cliffs [glassy] cliffs [valley] and one fairly local that i like is woodfin ridge

My favorite course is Harbourtown, by far. Ive been going to the Heritage tournament since the late 80's.
My favorite place to play is Charleston municipal, the Muni. I can go there alone and its pretty much guaranteed I'll run into someone I know. They hired the former greenskeeper from the Country Club of Charleston A few years agoand he immediately improved the greens. Its a very laid back atmosphere and most golfers are there to have fun so they're not super serious. They have the coldest miller lites in town and Ms. Dolly is pretty good on the grill. I used to play there 2 or 3 times a week but don't play as much now. The course is currently closed for much needed renovations and I cant wait to get out there and play it again when it reopens.

Another one that’s closed that I used to play is bogeyville headed toward Aiken on No1.

ADVERTISEMENT