ADVERTISEMENT

Whats your favorite Golf Courses you have played?

Another one that’s closed that I used to play is bogeyville headed toward Aiken on No1.
Lol. Wow. Haven't heard this name in over 20 years. Had some good times there during my college years. I wonder what happened to it, do you know if its still open? It was never anything to write home about but I would pay to play just for the memories.

My top 5 in SC:
Caledonia
Chanticleer
Sage Valley (best experience)
Ocean Course
Ocean Winds-Seabrook/Dunes Club (both more fun than Harbour Town)

Out of State
Torrey Pines
Pinehurst #2
Bay Hill (many great times)
Garden City. (best experience)
Shadow Creek

Ireland trip for Labor Day week cancelled sadly.

Great thread!

Reactions: king ward
Nothing wrong with these courses except hidden valley.but for around a $10 rd,it’s very playable.i haven’t been to the others in a while,they go down hill?
Any body that has Charweed on their top courses they have played needs to get out more. We use to play there because it was close but once they added the crap called waste areas we were done.

It's hard to make a living these days owning and running a golf course. But it can be done. Word spreads quickly about conditions so if you let your reputation slip it is hard to get it back. I think the men that own Northwoods (The Spur) have done well because it is close to town and they stay on top of everything.
They did a good job last year but the time or two I was there this year it had started heading down hill again.

Any body that has Charweed on their top courses they have played needs to get out more. We use to play there because it was close but once they added the crap called waste areas we were done.
If you ask me it went downhill once they changed that par 4 into a par 3 and closed half the white course down.I liked that dogleg left hole,it made you play a golf shot.

Lol. Wow. Haven't heard this name in over 20 years. Had some good times there during my college years. I wonder what happened to it, do you know if its still open? It was never anything to write home about but I would pay to play just for the memories.
It’s been closed for close to 5 years now if not longer.Funny story is that me and my friend wanted to go play there but haven’t been in a while.so I tried and he tried to call them and all we got was the sound like you was connecting to dial up internet.so we decided to go down there and it was overgrown.had a for sale sign out by the road.that was a wasted trip.a lot of the sr guys I play with played there before moving to play at indian trail.so has the ones from coopers creek.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Early to mid 2000's this was a great course from tee to green. Won course of the year in 2002. Probably peaked around 2007. But still a nice track, especially if they improved their greens recently.

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Bull's Bay. I've never played there but I hear its phenomenal. I don’t rhink I know anyone who can afford to be a member there. Same with the River course at Kiawah.

My favorite course is Harbourtown, by far. Ive been going to the Heritage tournament since the late 80's.
My favorite place to play is Charleston municipal, the Muni. I can go there alone and its pretty much guaranteed I'll run into someone I know. They hired the former greenskeeper from the Country Club of Charleston A few years ago and he immediately improved the greens. Its a very laid back atmosphere and most golfers are there to have fun so they're not super serious. They have the coldest miller lites in town and Ms. Dolly is pretty good on the grill. I used to play there 2 or 3 times a week but don't play as much now. The course is currently closed for much needed renovations and I cant wait to get out there and play it again when it reopens.
My brother plays the muni with some senior friends of his. Since it has been down, they've made quite a few trips to Santee. I eagerly await the opportunity to play the muni with him.

Early to mid 2000's this was a great course from tee to green. Won course of the year in 2002. Probably peaked around 2007. But still a nice track, especially if they improved their greens recently.
I must have missed those years. I played on it growing up but then moved to Coopers Creek and Lexington. Once we had kids I stopped cold for five years. Now that my son is getting competitive Charwood just did not meet our needs anymore.

It seems like the courses in Scotland get the publicity, but Ireland seems like it would have better golf courses. Just wondering if anybody has played in both places and what you thought.

The courses in both places are very similar. Scotland has the history plus The Open Championship memories. The biggest difference is I have more fun with the Irish folks in the bars at night than I do with the Scots folks. I have a better time overall in Ireland. I remember playing Lahinch one morning at 7:45am tee time and it was windy and raining and cold. It was first week of June. My caddie on the first tee was drinking whisky from a flask. I thought that was hard core. After 3 holes, we were both drinking from his flask. Haha.

I don't think I've seen Long Bay mentioned. Jack Nicklaus signature course. It was in great shape last time I was there, and always has been. A lot of waste areas and bunkers. You need to hit'em straight off the tee. They have an island green on their feature hole. Water on 10 of the 18 holes.

A couple more to the list

The John Daly cause wicked stick in Myrtle beach . Great course but I believe it is now closed

And Glen Abby in Oakville Ontario Canada

A couple more to the list

The John Daly cause wicked stick in Myrtle beach . Great course but I believe it is now closed

And Glen Abby in Oakville Ontario Canada
Wicked Stick was a fun one. The netting was strange but necessary. Was a challenging course.

Last thing I heard was that the county didn't want to sink any money in so he was looking at other options...
I hope he can find a way. I remember when it was a real country club, complete with tennis facilities - including a tennis pro and pro shop, a pool, and nice banquet space. Of course, all that was in addition to a very fine golf course. 18th hole was a par-three. You don't see that every day.

I hope he can find a way. I remember when it was a real country club, complete with tennis facilities - including a tennis pro and pro shop, a pool, and nice banquet space. Of course, all that was in addition to a very fine golf course. 18th hole was a par-three. You don't see that every day.
With Indian River changing around, the old #9 par 3 is now the 18th hole.

Yes it was beautiful. My brother lives on what was #8 his father in law lives on #9 tee box, my mother lives on 15... When Me. Jack Wellman owned it the course was gorgeous. He put the money that is required to keep it nice. When he sold it the people who bought it neglected the shit out of it and refused to reinvest in it. The Nike tour stopped having their event there and the owners basically ran off the big money members with their shitty management

Yes it was beautiful. My brother lives on what was #8 his father in law lives on #9 tee box, my mother lives on 15... When Me. Jack Wellman owned it the course was gorgeous. He put the money that is required to keep it nice. When he sold it the people who bought it neglected the shit out of it and refused to reinvest in it. The Nike tour stopped having their event there and the owners basically ran off the big money members with their shitty management
Is there still a Wellman Industries in Johnsonville? Was their decline the beginning of the end?

Is there still a Wellman Industries in Johnsonville? Was their decline the beginning of the end?
Yes. They sold out to a Chinese company years ago. They sold the golf course and the rest is history.

The par 3s there isn’t easy imo.can rack up a double bogey on any of them.
I've scored well on the 3's out there, right in my wheel house for distance. Its those tricky, drivable in 2, par 5's. Baiting you into a bad decision.

I don't think I've seen Long Bay mentioned. Jack Nicklaus signature course. It was in great shape last time I was there, and always has been. A lot of waste areas and bunkers. You need to hit'em straight off the tee. They have an island green on their feature hole. Water on 10 of the 18 holes.
One thing about Nicklaus courses, you won't roll it around. He was a high-ball, all-carry player and his courses demand that. He's a great designer, but less than outstanding ball-strikers won't stand a chance of scoring well.

One thing about Nicklaus courses, you won't roll it around. He was a high-ball, all-carry player and his courses demand that. He's a great designer, but less than outstanding ball-strikers won't stand a chance of scoring well.
Had the honor of watching the golden bear play 4 holes at Augusta. Early 90's. Tee shots a mile high.

I had a set of golden bear irons. Still have the wedges.

They did a good job last year but the time or two I was there this year it had started heading down hill again.
Too much rain. They've had to let the greens grow a bit which makes them slow. The practice area and a few greens have some bare spots that were not there last year. Hidden Valley is very close to losing a main road which leads across a swampy area from 1 to 2 and back from 8 to 9. If that road goes the course closes.

I've scored well on the 3's out there, right in my wheel house for distance. Its those tricky, drivable in 2, par 5's. Baiting you into a bad decision.
It might be hole 7 but that is one long par 5 for me.The greens there is a beast.miss on the wrong side and you’re in deep dodo.if you can’t putt,your not going to score well there.

The courses in both places are very similar. Scotland has the history plus The Open Championship memories. The biggest difference is I have more fun with the Irish folks in the bars at night than I do with the Scots folks. I have a better time overall in Ireland. I remember playing Lahinch one morning at 7:45am tee time and it was windy and raining and cold. It was first week of June. My caddie on the first tee was drinking whisky from a flask. I thought that was hard core. After 3 holes, we were both drinking from his flask. Haha.

Spot on!! Been to both 2 times for golf trips. By far the Irish are so welcoming and fun to interact with.

Last trip was to Northern Ireland very under rated for their golf course. Played in this 500+ amateur international tournament https://www.causewaycoastgolf.com/. Was really cool to play with Germans, Canadians and locals over the 4 rounds.

Last edited:
Bethune CC and Goodale State Park!

Seriously, I'm horrible at golf but here's a very funny story from a couple years back.
https://golf.com/news/tournaments/n...rural-south-carolina-reminds-of-golfs-allure/
Forty years ago I sold food service in that area ,Bethune,McBee,Patrick andChesterfield.The couple that ran the Bethune CC was named Johnson.Another business he had was an airplane towing signs for restaurants in Myrtle Beach.He built the present building from a settlement received from the US Air Force when an F6 from Shaw AFB crashed on the course.Bethune had a Curad plant making bandages,I guess.
Good to see those guys had a good time at BCC.

Forty years ago I sold food service in that area ,Bethune,McBee,Patrick andChesterfield.The couple that ran the Bethune CC was named Johnson.Another business he had was an airplane towing signs for restaurants in Myrtle Beach.He built the present building from a settlement received from the US Air Force when an F6 from Shaw AFB crashed on the course.Bethune had a Curad plant making bandages,I guess.
Good to see those guys had a good time at BCC.
Just imagine the randomness of ending up at THAT golf course and it ended up being where Two Gloves got started. Crazy.

Just imagine the randomness of ending up at THAT golf course and it ended up being where Two Gloves got started. Crazy.
I actually think Two Gloves and his Daddy played most of their golf at Bishopville Country Club. I've never played Bethune or Bishopville. I have played Fox Creek between Bishopville and Hartsville in Lydia, SC. It was a nice country golf course but I've not been in at least five or six years. I wonder if any Pee Dee area golfers have an update on Fox Creek. There used to be a good eating place about a mile from the course, Mr. B's. We used to get lunch there after completing a round at Fox Creek.

Reactions: cockofdawn
That's how I learned to play the game - hit the ball high and control your distance. A lot of courses seem to cater to the guys who hit a lot of bounce and run shots or try to pitch a 7 iron 100 yards. That's fun sometimes but its a different skill. I prefer a course which requires you to do both and know the difference.

That's how I learned to play the game - hit the ball high and control your distance. A lot of courses seem to cater to the guys who hit a lot of bounce and run shots or try to pitch a 7 iron 100 yards. That's fun sometimes but its a different skill. I prefer a course which requires you to do both and know the difference.
Even though I've moved forward, I hit the ball lower on the face than I used to and so don't get the elevation I once got. Greens that are open in the front suit me better now.;)

Last edited:
The Ocean Course at Kiawah. Hardest and prettiest. Played Pinehurst # 2 and # 4. Don't play near as much golf anymore, and those three caused me to lose my scorecard.. lol

Melrose on Daufuskie Island was a great course I played a lot, sadly it is closed right now. Bloody Point was a decent course on Daufuskie, but it's been closed for a while now as well.

Turtle Point on Kiawah is a very nice venue. Stono Ferry, owned by a friend of mine (great Gamecock fan/grad) is a nice course.

Personal favorite is Dunes West in Mt Pleasant. Wide fairways, not much water, and a beautiful course. Have to watch out for deer and perhaps a gator though!

The Links Course at Wild Dunes IOP is not bad either.

Just a few I've played, even though I'm just a hacker most of the time.

Bethpage Black for me. I grew up on Long Island and played it a ton of times in the 80's. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the stories with people waiting on lines real early in the morning to get a chance to play well they are all true. People would start around 12:00 midnight and camp out in their car to try and be first in line to play. Keep in mind there were 5 different courses at Bethpage not just the black course and they were all considerably easier to play than the black course. My buddies and I were not as crazy as the people getting there at 12:00 as we would get there about 4:30-5:00. The reason we could do that is that nobody wanted to play the black it was that hard so we were able to still get off pretty early in the morning.
I've played three courses on Long Island - Nassau Country Club, The Creek and Piping Rock Club and they were all outstanding.
My favorite two along MB coast is Glen Dornoch in Little River and Tidewater in Cherry Grove - Two awesome layouts

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT