ADVERTISEMENT

When all is said and done with this recruiting class..

lowcountry_cock13

Oct 12, 2017
What are you realistically and honestly happy with? It’s year 4 recruit class. Plenty of time to establish relationships and build networking. Personally if we aren’t Top 15 I don’t think we’re building toward closing the Gap with Clemson or UGA and possibly widen gap with teams like A and M and Florida. What’s your take?

I think we get a few more big name recruits, also you have to consider that the two JUCO DL are very talented but they just do not give JUCO players 4-5 stars nowadays. The DT has offers from everyone in the SEC.

Getting a big name QB commit is huge and loading up the DL is going great.

Need to land a few of these DBs we are still in the hunt for.

A top-20 class. I hope we get Moore who is a 3 star and will not help our ranking, but will help our team tremendously. He has one heckuva offer list. Fitten lost a star which hurt our ranking, but he is still the same player and still has the same offer list. I look at who they have offers from....and, thus far, I like this class a lot....and next years even more thus far.

A top-20 class. I hope we get Moore who is a 3 star and will not help our ranking, but will help our team tremendously. He has one heckuva offer list. Fitten lost a star which hurt our ranking, but he is still the same player and still has the same offer list. I look at who they have offers from....and, thus far, I like this class a lot....and next years even more thus far.
I also look at offers but it's hard to tell if it's always reliable. Some offers are given but aren't true offers. A team sends out 200 offers a year and hope 25 of the best sticks...I like to see the kids when it's coming down the line who other teams are trying to flip or have in home visits with because those are the offers that are gonna be faxed a LOI.

I also look at offers but it's hard to tell if it's always reliable. Some offers are given but aren't true offers. A team sends out 200 offers a year and hope 25 of the best sticks...I like to see the kids when it's coming down the line who other teams are trying to flip or have in home visits with because those are the offers that are gonna be faxed a LOI.
I look at it like this. First are we addressing the trenches. We are very nicely IMO and that is where you are going to win games. Second...are we getting good skill players. Yes, at the most important position QB and we are recruiting some good WRs and DBs. Third. Are we getting the "jumbo athletes". Yes at TE, LB is still a question....we've gotten some good ones but not enough.

Someone mentioned being behind Arky earlier. I looked at their class and I wouldn't trade ours for theirs. Buncha highly ranked receivers, weak along the lines. They have no 5 stars, 8 four stars and have a full class....ranked 8 in the SEC. And we have a higher rating per player. We will pass them.

So far, no one has answered (or cannot answer) my question .... why did Fitten and some others have their star rankings downgraded? Who makes that call?

So far, no one has answered (or cannot answer) my question .... why did Fitten and some others have their star rankings downgraded? Who makes that call?
I don't know....I would guess those that initially rated him made the call.

He went from 381 to 319 then went back down to 398 until this last rating where he fell to 501. Huge drop right at the last.....until then he was a consistent 300 level recruit.

Last edited:
What are you realistically and honestly happy with? It’s year 4 recruit class. Plenty of time to establish relationships and build networking. Personally if we aren’t Top 15 I don’t think we’re building toward closing the Gap with Clemson or UGA and possibly widen gap with teams like A and M and Florida. What’s your take?
I agree with you, lowcountry. On recruiting, CWM said, "I can sell ice to Eskimos." If we can't close the deal on players like Chris Steele and others, I'd say the Eskimos are buying CWM's ice. I hope they do. I hope we end with a top 15 class.

Honestly our classes are pretty much the same , Ranked somewhere between 15 and 20 . For all the talk about Spurrier’s lack of recruiting pretty much every class was in this range . For all the talk of Muschamps recruiting strengths , you guessed it .... should be between 15 and 20 . A very good class , not good enough to compete with Bama , UGA and Clemson but good enough to compete with everyone else . Unfortunately Clemson and UGA are gonna battle it out for the cream in our area but that still leaves a lot of good players out there for us .

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Honestly our classes are pretty much the same , Ranked somewhere between 15 and 20 . For all the talk about Spurrier’s lack of recruiting pretty much every class was in this range . For all the talk of Muschamps recruiting strengths , you guessed it .... should be between 15 and 20 . A very good class , not good enough to compete with Bama , UGA and Clemson but good enough to compete with everyone else . Unfortunately Clemson and UGA are gonna battle it out for the cream in our area but that still leaves a lot of good players out there for us .
I think difference here is there were more busts in the Spurrier classes. Look at all the freshmen playing this year and looking good doing it. Outside of Clowney and Latt I can't think of any other frosh that contributed the way these guys are doing. Seems like more hits than misses with Champ and Co.

Same as your take.

If you Can't make them Sign, you'll Remain in Decline.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
WM does not offer scholarships unless a kid comes to one of his camps. Stars matter, but sometimes they don't! WM does his own evaluations, and does not have a RC. He handles recruiting personally. As another poster stated, we should have less 'busts' based on personal evaluations.

As for our recruiting, we seem to have better classes each year. Don't know if we'll ever be a top five type of school?

One service named Hilinski the NPOTY in high school for 2018. Finally, it seems some players get bumps in stars and some players lose stars based on their latest offers!

I'd say WM and his staff have done well on the recruiting trail. Hopefully they'll continue to recruit better each year!

I agree with you, lowcountry. On recruiting, CWM said, "I can sell ice to Eskimos." If we can't close the deal on players like Chris Steele and others, I'd say the Eskimos are buying CWM's ice. I hope they do. I hope we end with a top 15 class.
If we don't do better than that, our ceiling will be going back around Kentucky.

I look at it like this. First are we addressing the trenches. We are very nicely IMO and that is where you are going to win games. Second...are we getting good skill players. Yes, at the most important position QB and we are recruiting some good WRs and DBs. Third. Are we getting the "jumbo athletes". Yes at TE, LB is still a question....we've gotten some good ones but not enough.

Someone mentioned being behind Arky earlier. I looked at their class and I wouldn't trade ours for theirs. Buncha highly ranked receivers, weak along the lines. They have no 5 stars, 8 four stars and have a full class....ranked 8 in the SEC. And we have a higher rating per player. We will pass them.
This is why we beat Clemson 5 years in a row...they had Spiller, Watkins, all those high profile skill players but no trench talent. Good point.

I think difference here is there were more busts in the Spurrier classes. Look at all the freshmen playing this year and looking good doing it. Outside of Clowney and Latt I can't think of any other frosh that contributed the way these guys are doing. Seems like more hits than misses with Champ and Co.

I would agree to extinct but honestly , has Champ recruited one All SEC quality player since he’s been here ?? DJ maybe last year but he couldn’t stay healthy this year . I see A lot of misses in his classes as well . I like what Champ is doing but still not sold on his ability to recruit any better than Spurrier . The freshman that are playing now are not playing because they were better , they are playing because we can barely field a roster due to all the injuries . However , this will help them going into next year . I really like Horn and Roderick but no one else really jumps of the screen to me . Champ needs some big time difference makers this class to turn it around . Hopefully Hillinski and Pickens can be those type of guys .

I would agree to extinct but honestly , has Champ recruited one All SEC quality player since he’s been here ?? DJ maybe last year but he couldn’t stay healthy this year . I see A lot of misses in his classes as well . I like what Champ is doing but still not sold on his ability to recruit any better than Spurrier . The freshman that are playing now are not playing because they were better , they are playing because we can barely field a roster due to all the injuries . However , this will help them going into next year . I really like Horn and Roderick but no one else really jumps of the screen to me . Champ needs some big time difference makers this class to turn it around . Hopefully Hillinski and Pickens can be those type of guys .
Wonnum doesn't jump out at you? He's starting as a freshman OL and beat out those ahead of him. Kinlaw, Daley, Shi Smith, Josh Vann, Or Tre Smth, Sandidge, Mukuamu, Louis, Dickerson? All look damned good. And then Iyama and several others who are ready to step in.

Wonnum doesn't jump out at you? He's starting as a freshman OL and beat out those ahead of him. Kinlaw, Daley, Shi Smith, Josh Vann, Or Tre Smth, Sandidge, Mukuamu, Louis, Dickerson? All look damned good. And then Iyama and several others who are ready to step in.

Yeah Wonnum is great . He’s gonna be a really good LT and probably play in the NFL . The other guys you mentioned are good but none other than Kinlaw would start at any of the top Programs in the SEC this year . Again, they are all young so hopefully they will all develop into good ones .

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Horn. Wonnum. both All SEC players

Reactions: rogue cock
HOLD IT RIGHT THERE ! MUSCAT IS HAPPY, TANNER MUST BE IN EUPHORIA AND THE FANS ARE ON THE VERGE OF BURNING THE STADIUM DOWN--ALL DUE TO THE EXCITEMENT GENERATED BY THE VERITABLE PLETHORA OF 3'S RECRUITED FOR NEXT YEAR--- AND ABATEMENT OF THE FEAR OF LOSING OUR "IN HEAVY DEMAND HC" ….everything must be wonderful in the coop.

may the number of wins continue to increase by leaps and bounds and we will go bankrupt roughly at the same time.

Been a lurker for many many years, Have to point out that comparing Spurrier recruiting to Muschamp recruiting is not apples to apples. Spurrier didn't have to recruit against a Georgia and Clemson that were at the level that they are at currently. Yes, I know Georgia's record then and now. However, the national and local perception of Georgia, sense Kirby took over, has significantly changed and is on a tremendous upswing.
I was a huge Spurrier supporter, and will be eternally thankful, that he chose to be a Gamecock. Regardless of the way he left, I still think he was the best thing that ever happened to South Carolina. I wasn't thrilled with Muschamp hire, I'm not in charge, so I'm going to assume, that every effort was exhausted to hire better, but he was the best that we could do. At this point in his tenure, I am convinced that given what he is up against, with the schedule we face, and the rise of our 2 closest rivals, that there are very few that could be doing an equal or better job. Of those very select few, it would take extreme circumstances, and a miracle to get them at South Carolina.
Our current recruiting class would be 3rd in the ACC. We would be a much better fit in the ACC, and we would have seen a comparable rise to Clemson, in the ACC, due to the decline of FSU, over the last decade. And yes I'm talking about other than the Winston years. For all of the pride we take in being in the SEC, it really is the double edge sword, and the difference maker in the fortunes between us and Clemson.

Would we have 3rd ranked recruiting class in ACC without SEC $'s and the SEC on our shirts? We get some kids now we wouldn't get if in ACC as some kids simply just want to play in SEC.

Would we have 3rd ranked recruiting class in ACC without SEC $'s and the SEC on our shirts? We get some kids now we wouldn't get if in ACC as some kids simply just want to play in SEC.

Who knows. That could be said for other SEC schools too I guess

Stars have some merit. But at the same time they are not worth the paper they are written on and basically allow writers to be employed to grade high school kids. Wanna get an good star rating, be a good player with measurables. Wanna be a high star talent-ATTEND THIS CAMP AND THAT CAMP RUN BY A BUNCH OF HANDLERS, PRIVATE COACHES, AND FORMER COLLEGIATE FLAMEOUTS WHO DON'T WANT TO GET A JOB. THAT'LL GET YOU SOME STARS. Then, if you're good, they'll latch on to you and become your adviser. Then, at the first sign of trouble, you'll end up like Kelly Bryant, listening to your adviser and getting out of a potential championship program to go to Mizzou.

Reactions: PC31
I would be happy if we can get the guys we need to start start generating a consistent pass rush with only 4 guys. To me that is the missing link between where our team is and where they need to be get win 10+ games every year. Our defense was a big disappointment this year.

This class wasn't about glitz and glitter. It wasn't about getting the high-profile receivers and running backs. This class was about linemen. Linemen will never generate the excitement of a WR or RB. But if you can't see how important this class is to the development of our program, then you're not paying attention. Our defense was awful because our line was inadequate to the job. We had no depth and experience, so just a couple of injuries completely derailed the whole unit. This class is about helping to fix that problem. You go ahead and sign all the sexy RB's and WR's you want, if your QB can't stay upright, if you can't stop the other team, those WR's and RB's don't matter. People are looking for sexy, when what we need are them big hogs in the trenches. Secure the trenches, then get some glitz in there. That's what we're doing. And to add to that, we got a great QB prospect. I think people are way undervaluing the importance of this class to the development of the football program.

You don't get'em all y'all. There is a lot that goes on in recruiting and I like the way Muschamp goes about his business he knows what positions he needs to strengthen and it appears he's doing it. We have some fine players now with more arriving so I say hold your horses and see what the results are in his first 5 years. Not every football player in American wants to come to Carolina as some believe. And oh yeah lest we forget...BEAT UVA. That's doesn't seem to get much attention around here.

Stars have some merit. But at the same time they are not worth the paper they are written on and basically allow writers to be employed to grade high school kids. Wanna get an good star rating, be a good player with measurables. Wanna be a high star talent-ATTEND THIS CAMP AND THAT CAMP RUN BY A BUNCH OF HANDLERS, PRIVATE COACHES, AND FORMER COLLEGIATE FLAMEOUTS WHO DON'T WANT TO GET A JOB. THAT'LL GET YOU SOME STARS. Then, if you're good, they'll latch on to you and become your adviser. Then, at the first sign of trouble, you'll end up like Kelly Bryant, listening to your adviser and getting out of a potential championship program to go to Mizzou.
So you wouldnt rather have the 5 star guys ( like Clowney and Lattimore) over 3 star ones?

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Been a lurker for many many years, Have to point out that comparing Spurrier recruiting to Muschamp recruiting is not apples to apples. Spurrier didn't have to recruit against a Georgia and Clemson that were at the level that they are at currently. Yes, I know Georgia's record then and now. However, the national and local perception of Georgia, sense Kirby took over, has significantly changed and is on a tremendous upswing.
I was a huge Spurrier supporter, and will be eternally thankful, that he chose to be a Gamecock. Regardless of the way he left, I still think he was the best thing that ever happened to South Carolina. I wasn't thrilled with Muschamp hire, I'm not in charge, so I'm going to assume, that every effort was exhausted to hire better, but he was the best that we could do. At this point in his tenure, I am convinced that given what he is up against, with the schedule we face, and the rise of our 2 closest rivals, that there are very few that could be doing an equal or better job. Of those very select few, it would take extreme circumstances, and a miracle to get them at South Carolina.
Our current recruiting class would be 3rd in the ACC. We would be a much better fit in the ACC, and we would have seen a comparable rise to Clemson, in the ACC, due to the decline of FSU, over the last decade. And yes I'm talking about other than the Winston years. For all of the pride we take in being in the SEC, it really is the double edge sword, and the difference maker in the fortunes between us and Clemson.
This is uncanny... I could have written this myself.

So you wouldnt rather have the 5 star guys ( like Clowney and Lattimore) over 3 star ones?
You act as if Spurrier brought them in the entire time. There were 3 in 10 years (Culliver was the other)... Muschamp just signed his first in his 3rd ACTUAL class. About the same rate.

Did he really say he could sell “ice to eskimos”.

True. But when the entire SEC offers a 3* he's a good get. If clemson "wanted him bad" as is reportedly the case with Jakai Moore, he's a good get. As for RB Kevin Harris, we're the best offer he has. There are guys that impress at our camps or they don't have the money to get to camps. For some guys, we just have to trust the coaches and hope they're better at evaluating talent than most. I know stars matter. Not really the stars but the player that earned the stars. But you have to get there somehow. A class full of 5*s isn't going to fall into our laps until we can point to a culture change.

One thing I love about this class is it really addresses both sides of the line. Belk is a 5* as well. Barring major injuries, we should finally not be thin on either line. We will have Kinlaw, Wonnum, Belk & Pickens on DL next season! To compete with elite teams you don't have to have 5*s in reserve. They do you no good on the bench. You do have to have good lines. All said and done, I think we'll look back on this class as better than 10th in the SEC, but only time will tell.

Last edited:
SOS signed 5-star guys FROM SOUTH CAROLINA, that's a huge difference. It's not like he pulled these guys out of Florida or Georgia. To consistently pull that kind of player you have to be able to recruit nationally. We aren't there yet, but I think we headed in the right direction.

This is why we beat Clemson 5 years in a row...they had Spiller, Watkins, all those high profile skill players but no trench talent. Good point.
100%!!

I remember reading people on here laughing at Clem for that reason - they had all the skill players in the world but couldn't hang with us in the trenches. I was afraid once they figured the trenches out, we'd be in trouble. And well, here we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legendary Cock

Partly true, but they also had no Venables until 2012. I think it was 2013 when they turned the ball over 5 or 6 times and were still in the game in the 4th quarter because of his defense. He was a game changer for them.

Last edited:
Also, these rankings don't include two athletes that count towards this class: Belk, and Cook, both of which are 4-stars. So put those in there too if that helps your "Ranking" issue.

Reactions: rogue cock

Seems like even Fat Brad had a couple of recruiting classes ranked around 15-20, if I remember correctly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT