ADVERTISEMENT

When did depth, or injuries become a factor in rankings?

Mar 14, 2007
This committee went into a pretty confusing spin about the rankings. I think their ability to rank teams is now clearly in question. Add into it a Clemson AD and a former Clemson player.
The AP actually made much more sense with Miami at #2 this week.

Why's Wisconsin behind OU? "We look at quality wins"
Then why is Miami ahead of OU? "Because Miami's undefeated"
But you have Clemson above Miami? "Clemson has the MOST quality wins" (they dont Oklahoma does)
Then why not rank Clemson 1? "Cause Alabama's undefeated"

Then this.....
“We talked a lot about the Sooners. Three wins against teams ranked in the top 13 of this week's ranking, probably have some of the most impressive wins this season on the road against Ohio State and Oklahoma State,” (he does not mention TCU) Hocutt said. “It's that loss to a four-loss Iowa State team that has them in that 4 spot this week and not higher.”

(On Clemson's loss to 4-6 Syracuse which is clearly worse than Oklahoma's)
Hocutt also said that the committee also weighs the injury to Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant in the Tigers’ loss to Syracuse when considering the team in the rankings. (Syracuse has wins over Pittsburgh, Central Michigan, Central Connecticut State, AND CLEMSON)

“The selection committee continues to factor in the injury to the quarterback in the Clemson game and the fact that he returned their next game and returned at full speed. That continues to be a factor in our discussions of Clemson,” he added.
#Wetoodeep (I thought)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...b-playoff-what-we-learned-20171114-story.html

Last edited:
shouldn't we be ranked about 4th then? I mean, after all, with a healthy Deebo, we'd have beaten UK and TAMU and likely UGa, too! Especially if we can discount having hurt offensive linemen, not to mention BAW and Rico. Where do they draw the line? VERY specious logic by the committee.... VERY.

Reactions: SmokinStokesBBQ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT