ADVERTISEMENT

When did Super Regionals become the standard...

Uncle Money

Nov 26, 2006
for deciding whether or not to keep a baseball coach? Last time I checked, 16 teams make supers. That means USC should be close to the top 16 consistently. Even with a few upsets, how can this become the new standard?

Oh that's right, we're dealing with Chad. Pretty soon, it will be just making the tournament. You all know where this is heading....

I don't think its lowering expectations, but I think its a valid one. A lot of things have to go right for a team to get to Omaha. Consistent sweet-16's is a good outcome in a playoff system because some years things will fall into place and you win that series. But this team/ program doesn't look like that right now. I would think it's gotta be now or never for the Chad.

I don't think its lowering expectations, but I think its a valid one. A lot of things have to go right for a team to get to Omaha. Consistent sweet-16's is a good outcome in a playoff system because some years things will fall into place and you win that series. But this team/ program doesn't look like that right now. I would think it's gotta be now or never for the Chad.
Yet this program has been to Omaha so many times, fans should expect it...Not demand but expect it...We should demand hosting a regional and getting to a super...If not we accept the program diminishing to a lesser stature

Yet this program has been to Omaha so many times, fans should expect it...Not demand but expect it...We should demand hosting a regional and getting to a super...If not we accept the program diminishing to a lesser stature
I like how you put that. I agree completely.

The same time we complained endlessly about a football program that turned into a cesspool after 3 great years, that were nothing like the Yardcox last 3 with Ray.

Imagine if football went to 3 in a row, won 2, and was back to 4-5 in the East 5 years later. This isn't a last 3 year of Ray's thing, this is the last 12ish years of Ray's thing, and the program he made. Top 5 in CBB. Not expecting Omaha or a Super every year necessarily, but surely not expecting to be on the bottom, which in effect is where we are, standings be damned.

Don't worry though, the Chad apologists will win in the end, and he will still be here for the foreseeable future

Last edited:
The same time we complained endlessly about a football program that turned into a cesspool after 3 great years, that were nothing like the Yardcox last 3 with Ray.

Imagine if football went to 3 in a row, won 2, and was back to 4-5 in the East 5 years later. This isn't a last 3 year of Ray's thing, this is the last 12ish years of Ray's thing, and the program he made. Top 5 in CBB. Not expecting Omaha or a Super every year necessarily, but surely not expecting to be on the bottom, which in effect is where we are, standings be damned.

Don't worry though, the Chad apologists will win in the end, and he will still be here for the foreseeable future

I disagree with your last statement..Ray Tanner has to make a change or this program is in the crapper for a while...Holbrook is a great recruiter that can't develop of manage very well..His gameday incompetence is mindboggling...He has go to go

Omaha every year was never the expectation. Omaha started in 1950 and we've only been 11 times...

I disagree with your last statement..Ray Tanner has to make a change or this program is in the crapper for a while...Holbrook is a great recruiter that can't develop of manage very well..His gameday incompetence is mindboggling...He has go to go

I hope I'm wrong, but we've seen this movie before. You're right, a change has to be made

We can't get into a regional now....

Lost another series at the end of the 3rd game again, this time at a possible top 8 seed Florida. Our RPI went from 27 to 23. Our SOS is #6. Right now, I'd say we're in a regional. May or may not end up in one, but also may or may not host one. Right now, we'd be in.
Read somewhere earlier today where four of the last five series we have lost, were to teams in the current top 10. Three of those four were lost in the last inning. Thankfully, no sweeps out of those.
It's not where we are use to being, it is NOT where we should be, but it is better than what most of you are making it out to be.

Reactions: usc1wme
We should expect to HOST a regional every year.
Yes. Will it happen? No, not every year. But that should be the expectation. We all know how important it is to host regionals and super-regionals, so any fan base who expects to see their team regularly in the CWS should expect to see them hosting regionals virtually every year and super-regionals on a regular basis.

I guess if you have top 10 recruiting classes 4 years in a row doesn't necessary mean you are going to be a top 10 team every year or maybe even every now an then.

Wow, Bobby Hartin in Charleston said that he has not seen anything yet that would justify Holbrook losing his job.

Teddy Heffner says Gamecock fans are judging Holbrook on one rough patch.

107.5 tea bags Holbrook 24/7.

Do these folks kiss ass just to keep getting him as a guest on their show?

Lost another series at the end of the 3rd game again, this time at a possible top 8 seed Florida. Our RPI went from 27 to 23. Our SOS is #6. Right now, I'd say we're in a regional. May or may not end up in one, but also may or may not host one. Right now, we'd be in.
Read somewhere earlier today where four of the last five series we have lost, were to teams in the current top 10. Three of those four were lost in the last inning. Thankfully, no sweeps out of those.
It's not where we are use to being, it is NOT where we should be, but it is better than what most of you are making it out to be.

If we get into a regional, it will be in Clemson... We will be Clemson's whipping boy.... Roles have been reversed in baseball...

Wow, Bobby Hartin in Charleston said that he has not seen anything yet that would justify Holbrook losing his job.

Yes

It seems like this is the nature of local sports talk shows. Because of the local nature, they let any fool call in and ramble non-sense. I assume they are scared of alienating any portion of their listening-base.

Same thing with the commentary on the baseball program. They are scared to say anything that critical because they can't deal with the fall-out.

for deciding whether or not to keep a baseball coach? Last time I checked, 16 teams make supers. That means USC should be close to the top 16 consistently. Even with a few upsets, how can this become the new standard?

Oh that's right, we're dealing with Chad. Pretty soon, it will be just making the tournament. You all know where this is heading....
You think there was ever a time besides that three year stretch of championship game runs where making it to Omaha was the standard? That was a blip on the radar in the history of our program and if we held Ray Tanner to that standard we would have never won a Natty because we would have fired him 5+ years before he ever made us that good.

Holbrook is sucking wind right now, but this thread is Fn stupid.

My judgment is based on a "three year patch." Do these guys forget 2015?

Last year SuperRegional. Year before last failed to make field of 64. If we fail to make the tourney, I will have seen enough. If we limp into the tourney, I'll grit my teeth and bear it even if we go 2 and que.

This program should expect to be Top 64 every year. Failing one in ten is painful but acceptable. Failing 2 in 3 is far, far below acceptable.

Jury still out. Kentucky, LSU, Mizzou and Georgia series remaining. Lose 3 of those series and follow up with our usual SEC tourney performance - we're out.

ADVERTISEMENT