ADVERTISEMENT

When did they change the rule that the ball has to be catchable on PI

If you watched our game, who the heck knows? On the throw to Edwards on our first drive where he was held and interfered with it was ruled that the pass was not catchable. On UTs last drive a pass was way out of the end zone was still called pass interference.
I thought same thing

Reactions: FORKCOCK
It was the wrong call anyway. It should have been holding which negates the question of whether it was uncatchable.

That's where a lot of cheating happens. Uncatchable has been part of the rules for as long as I can remember. Same thing with Holding. You can hold a player if, in the official's judgment, it didn't have an effect on the play. I've hated those rules for a long time. It gives too much power to a cheating ref and is the focus of a lot fan rage after games.

I understand the uncatchable rule better than the holding rule. Who can say a hold on the other side of scrimmage wouldn't have impacted the play at some point?

Not on pass defense. A ball can be in the air and the DB holds and prevents the catch, there by defensive holding.
If the ball is in the air, grabbing the receiver is PI unless they say the pass was uncatchable. If they call defensive holding before the ball is thrown, "uncatchable" is not applicable.

Last edited:
Not sure why, but this game also got me thinking...why is a spiked ball not intentional grounding? Had to look it up. Evidently spiking to stop the clock is a specific exception to the grounding rule if it's done immediately. With that said, I think it would be interesting to see it come with a ten yard penalty and pay more of a price other than loss of down since they really don't lose the down, they waste it. Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: RoosterBooster1
I thought the uncatchable ruling started in the NFL and the NCAA added it to their rule book later.

Heck you can throw it in the stands and they still will call interference.
How can a ball be catchable when the Tennessee DB is holding back our receiver by grabbing his shirt. On TV for all the world to see except the good ole boy official from Raccoon Valley Tennessee.

If you watched our game, who the heck knows? On the throw to Edwards on our first drive where he was held and interfered with it was ruled that the pass was not catchable. On UTs last drive a pass was way out of the end zone was still called pass interference.
Yep total BS. The Vols player was holding Edwards jersey plain as day and even if the ball was uncatchable, he should have been flagged for holding.

Yep total BS. The Vols player was holding Edwards jersey plain as day and even if the ball was uncatchable, he should have been flagged for holding.
The announcer was wrong, he should have been flagged for PI because the ball was in the air. The ref decides if the ball was catchable and hence if a penalty should be called, but that ball to Edwards was in his vicinity and he had a chance if not interfered with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT