ADVERTISEMENT

When does he get the axe?

Agree with Goose Cock. Though your take is sarcastic, the defeatist attitude that everything is bleak and nobody will come here to coach which many of our alumni, fans have. I feel like the current Admin. settled big time. I was underwhelmed when WM was brought on....but looked at the bright side. I wanted Smart...and knew WM was a road-weary version of Smart from the coaching side. UF is a tough job....even with the benefit of the doubt to see what he could do at USC....time is up. Next.

There are coaches who would die to have this job. You have to find them, and go after them hard. Staley is a perfect example. A tireless worker, great coach, a program maker. That's what football NEEDS and if anything less than that is acceptable then the football program will continue to flounder.
I wasn't always so certain about RT being so terrible as an AD...but now I think that is very clear and he should be moved along. Love him for what he accomplished and he was a program changer as a coach as well...but much like WM is a DC and not a HC....RT is a HC and not an AD. Proof is in the pudding.
Now that you mention her, I want Dawn to be our new AD stating next Monday!

0-10 gets him fired. Heck, I think Champ will resign and admit he can't do the job.

1-9 might get him fired. Depends on some other things related to finances.

2-8 probably won't get him fired - at least the scales tip back towards keeping him another year.

3 or more wins and he is back next year.

Oh, and 0-10 might get Tanner fired too.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Unless we go 2-8 or worse , he will be back.

Prepare for it. Who we gonna beat this year besides (hopefully) Vandy?

I agree that unless this season is a complete and obvious disaster (like a 2-8 or worse season), he probably won't be fired this season. With all the weirdness built into this season, anything better than that will leave just enough reasonable doubt for those who are looking for a reason to not pull the trigger on his firing. The uncertain revenue climate will also play a role.

As for where we get more than 2 wins, I don't know. It's hard to say at this point. I won't assume a Vandy win, but if we get 3 or more wins, one of those will almost certainly have to be against the Commodores. Maybe a couple of other opponents end up having an even suckier season than we do. Or maybe we pull some miracle win out of our butt like we did last year in Athens.

Earliest would be end of 21 season. Even then is questionable.

Tanner will have to extend his contract by then or it is the death knell on the recruiting trail, even if it is obvious to everyone he is on thin ice.

The key is getting the buyout down. It will take substantial resource to get the next guy as he will want a top contract and large pool for assitants.

I am just not sure how bad the financial fallout from this year is going to impact these decisions. Clearly they will to some degree.

I would get rid of Tanner because he is the one responsible for the insane Nick Saban like buyout Which has forced us down this rabbit hole. Hire a great AD who can make a great hire and let’s get out of this hole.

Not sure when it will happen. Ray will stretch it out as long as possible. Or however long the administration, and the board, will let him stretch it out. Ray has to wonder if they will let him pick another coach after he personally picked Muschamp. Am sure this year Ray will play the uncertainty of the Covid issue. He will point to Stockton as a barometer of how his plan of stability is paying off on the recruiting trail. But USC has had quite a few other QBs at USC who were going to be the savior of the program when they committed. That hasn't worked out real well to this point

I gotta grand that says ... Ray, is no longer a component of the University of South Carolina Athletic Department. His duties were reduced to secretarial responsibilities, which I understand he is having difficulties handling. He will not be involved with any new hiring decisions including but, not limited to any the new soccer coach nor, any re-evaluation of the current football coaching staff. There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Caslin.

Reactions: SOSUSC and cockgun
Earliest would be end of 21 season. Even then is questionable.

Tanner will have to extend his contract by then or it is the death knell on the recruiting trail, even if it is obvious to everyone he is on thin ice.

The key is getting the buyout down. It will take substantial resource to get the next guy as he will want a top contract and large pool for assitants.

I am just not sure how bad the financial fallout from this year is going to impact these decisions. Clearly they will to some degree.
USC lost 58-million due to COVID they will have to get back into the green before thinking about a new coach. I think muschamp stays until his contract is done in 2024. That’s going to impact recruiting but it is what it is.

I would get rid of Tanner because he is the one responsible for the insane Nick Saban like buyout Which has forced us down this rabbit hole. Hire a great AD who can make a great hire and let’s get out of this hole.
His buyout is commensurate with his pay and his contract.

• Haha
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Due to monies lost due to COVID he stays until usc is back in green. MAYBE ...after 2022 after buyout is down, an interim coach is named to keep from a recruiting disaster like when spurrier left.

USC lost 58-million due to COVID they will have to get back into the green before thinking about a new coach. I think muschamp stays until his contract is done in 2024. That’s going to impact recruiting but it is what it is.
Omg that statement almost makes me wanna cut onions!

Don't you know? Everyone wants to coach here. We are THE destination job, and there is no reason we shouldn't be able to get whomever we want!

My kid has a better chance of winning a Green Jacket.

Mike Leach would have come ... everybody on this board said he would never coach or be successful in the SEC ... ask Ed O about that . If we canned Muschamp last year and offered him before MSU he would be here now . Just another classic USC blunder

Until Tanner collects his state employment benefits, he will continue on. I really hate to say this, but the man is just a dumpster fire when it comes to football, and now, also baseball. The new president may see things differently because he wants to win. Tanner is happy with just the gate receipts.

I gotta grand that says ... Ray, is no longer a component of the University of South Carolina Athletic Department. His duties were reduced to secretarial responsibilities, which I understand he is having difficulties handling. He will not be involved with any new hiring decisions including but, not limited to any the new soccer coach nor, any re-evaluation of the current football coaching staff. There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Caslin.
Are you being serious?

It shouldn’t. He’s recruited guys that were rated equal to or better than Stockton and none had success with Muschamp as their coach. Here’s a pretty bad summary from BR:
  • Dating to his Florida days, Muschamp has always recruited well.During his career, he’s landed 2 quarterbacks ranked No. 1 in their class, 3 guys ranked No. 2, a No. 3 quarterback in his class and a No. 4. Here’s a list of the blue-chip quarterbacks he’s landed:
    • Jeff Driskel (No. 1 dual-threat QB, 2011 — Florida)
    • Jacoby Brissett (No. 3 pro-style QB, 2011 — Florida)
    • Will Grier (No. 2 pro-style QB, 2014 — Florida)
    • Treon Harris (No. 9 ATH, 2014 — Florida)
    • Brandon McIlwain (No. 2 dual-threat QB, 2016 — South Carolina)
    • Jake Bentley (No. 12 pro-style QB, 2016 — South Carolina)
    • Dakereon Joyner (No. 9 dual-threat QB, 2018 — South Carolina)
    • Ryan Hilinski (No. 2 pro-style QB, 2019 — South Carolina)
    • Luke Doty (No. 4 dual-threat QB, 2020 — South Carolina)
    • Gunner Stockton (No. 1 dual-threat QB, 2022 — South Carolina)

Shame on him for notcdeveloping such talent.

It is less costly to hire a great AD. The new AD should immediately put WM on notice and fire WM if he does not perform. Removing RT will give the fans some hope.

Hope you are right. Now they can let Ray handle soccer. I could care less. But past time to get football, and basketball, headed in the right direction.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Nah. She is big enough to handle it all, no problem.
I don't know if you ARE joking or not...but I hope you are. We already have our hands full with a more accomplished version of Dawn running the Football program into the ground. Don't need anymore amateurs faking it and hoping to make it in these positions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT