ADVERTISEMENT

When is decision due regarding Belk's eligibility for 2018? *****

I think the whole waiver story was generated by fans making assumptions. I haven't seen anything from our staff/university, or Belk's camp stating that he would seek a waiver to play this season. As I understand it, the hardship waiver no longer exists.
I haven't either, but I tweeted Brad Crawford to ask him and he said Belk and the school would certainly seek a waiver to play him. But he also thought it was pretty unlikely. Depending on how good he is, we could only have him for 3 seasons.

I haven't either, but I tweeted Brad Crawford to ask him and he said Belk and the school would certainly seek a waiver to play him. But he also thought it was pretty unlikely. Depending on how good he is, we could only have him for 3 seasons.

The post before yours quoted Belk saying they would be seeking a waiver. From what I've been reading, they changed the rules in 2015 but recently made another rule change making it a possibility, but HIGHLY unlikely. Seems the NCAA would rather add a 6th year than being immediately eligible.

"But the NCAA didn't close the door on immediate eligibility. According to an NCAA spokesperson, the "vast majority" of transfer waivers add a year on the back end instead of allowing immediately eligibility, but not all. Here are the stipulations that must be in place for a student-athlete to transfer and be able to play right away."

https://247sports.com/college/georg...ately-or-will-he-have-to-sit-a-year-119289222

IMHO, it would seem impossible for the NCAA to rule on it until he actually enrolls. Guess we'll see. It would be HUGE if he could play next year.

Reactions: anon_n4c0cp5zhdxn7
Wonder if it was because he transferred in January (same academic school year) and didn't see any action at TOSU....allowing them to use that as his sit-out year.

It's not exactly a sit-out rule. The rule is that you attend the new school for a year before playing (so taking a year off of college doesn't count). It looks like they are getting more lenient, but even Muschamp was quoted as saying he didn't want free agency - imagine your best players leaving after a bad season. This guy redshirted, then didn't play in a single game his RS freshman year. That's an obvious ploy by Urban to get him to transfer - I'd grant him immediate eligibility too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT