ADVERTISEMENT

When was the first time you ever attended a game at WB?

I was personally at that game along with a few friends.
I was at that game also. Fran Curci was coaching UK. They had been 10-1 the previous year but were on probation and couldn't go anywhere. They were rebuilding but had a slick little quarterback, as I recall. Carlen and Curci both agreed we should have won that game.

I try to post this thread every year right after the baseball season ends for the Gamecocks. This is one of my favorite threads because so many people have such fond memories of the very first time they attended a game at WB. It may have been with their father, brother/sister, or their first love or a friend.

The first time I attended a game at WB was in 1971, the Gamecocks were playing Maryland. I don't remember the exact score but the Gamecocks won handedly. Dicky Harris was a senior and was the nations leading punt returner or kick-off returner, I can't remember which. He also had a lot of interceptions that year. It was also the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf at WB. I just remember sitting in the South End Zone corner and looking around the stadium and saying to myself this is the prettiest stadium I have ever seen.

I rode down to that game with a friend that has since pasted away, sadly to say. But that first time I visited WB will always be at the top of the list in my memory bank of all the games and good times I have enjoyed at WB.

So please share with us your experience (s) relative to the first game you ever attended at WB.

I look forward to reading all of them.

He and that Harley guy for ECU just humiliated us, and Harley did it in the driving rain.

Most miserable game ever. Never seen so much rain at Williams Brice. Remember the ECU fans being obnoxious at the Sheraton Hotel after the game. Realized that was the norm from the Pirates fan base.

Reactions: king ward
I try to post this thread every year right after the baseball season ends for the Gamecocks. This is one of my favorite threads because so many people have such fond memories of the very first time they attended a game at WB. It may have been with their father, brother/sister, or their first love or a friend.

The first time I attended a game at WB was in 1971, the Gamecocks were playing Maryland. I don't remember the exact score but the Gamecocks won handedly. Dicky Harris was a senior and was the nations leading punt returner or kick-off returner, I can't remember which. He also had a lot of interceptions that year. It was also the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf at WB. I just remember sitting in the South End Zone corner and looking around the stadium and saying to myself this is the prettiest stadium I have ever seen.

I rode down to that game with a friend that has since pasted away, sadly to say. But that first time I visited WB will always be at the top of the list in my memory bank of all the games and good times I have enjoyed at WB.

So please share with us your experience (s) relative to the first game you ever attended at WB.

Can't remember the exact year. My big brother took me to the game. He was married and living in Columbia and I was visiting for some reason. I must have been thirteen or fourteen but I remember Hawkins and Dixon running all over Clemson. I knew King Dixon as I had seen him run back punts for touchdowns at Laurens High.

I was at that game also. Fran Curci was coaching UK. They had been 10-1 the previous year but were on probation and couldn't go anywhere. They were rebuilding but had a slick little quarterback, as I recall. Carlen and Curci both agreed we should have won that game.
I think Kentucky 1978 season was the last time that had an above .500 or winning record in the SEC conference.

Last edited:
November 18, 1978. Clemson was playing Maryland for the conference championship in Maryland. Not certain who you guys were playing, but my parents made me go because it was band day and my brother was in the Carolina band. I had a radio and kept a fellow Clemson fan 8 rows in front of me up to date with the score.

What IS it with these Clemsonites and their letters with numbers handles? Is it a cult ritual for passage through the door at IPTAY meetings?

My Dad took me to the last Big Thursday Game in 1959 at Carolina Stadium. Clemson won that day.

November 22, 1975 vs Clemson. I don't believe we punted even once the entire game. Jeff Grantz was the qb and we demolished them 56-20.

1995 vs Kentucky. Was 2. Have no recollection of it.

First game I really remember was 2000 vs New Mexico State

You got wet both in your diaper and in the rain storm. Moe Williams ran all over our ass. Lost to Kentucky. I’d say it set you up for the real Gamecock experience.

I feel old when the first game you remember I was almost through college!

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Most miserable game ever. Never seen so much rain at Williams Brice. Remember the ECU fans being obnoxious at the Sheraton Hotel after the game. Realized that was the norm from the Pirates fan base.

I believe it rained more that night than any game ever. Stuck it out all 4 quarters. Me and 75 others.

October 10, 1987: USC 40 Va Tech 10

We kicked their butt up and down the field. I couldn’t tell you what I ate for supper last Tuesday but I remember that game as an 8 year old boy. Sat in 509, Sterling flipped on a catch. Used to show that highlight on the Joe Morrison Show the rest of the season.

87 was one of our best teams. I thought Carolina was always going to be that good. Boy was I naive. Of course I had not been introduced to Sparky Woods or Brad Scott either

My freshman year October 1962 against Wake Forest. Someone stole the Deacons top hat and it was passed all around the student section. Deacon was going nuts trying to get it.

Also after a few calls against us by the officials, the student body started chanting “refs ain’t got no daddy”.

Very enjoyable game. We won. Marvin Bass was our coach.

Last edited:
I'll have to take your word for that one. They were better in 1977. I'm pretty sure about that.
I do agree with that Kentucky had a better season in 1977 than 1978. I really dislike Kentucky and just wanted to point out that Kentucky has not had a winning conference record in over 40 years.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
1980; Carolina 56 Cincinnati 7.

I was at that game. Carlen took Rogers out around the 3rd quarter and there were fans sitting all around us saying leave Rogers in and let him get 400 yards to increase his chances of winning the Heisman. Of course, taking Rogers out early was the right thing to do.

But, I remember a big play in that game by Carolina and it's one the Gamecocks rarely are ever successful at executing. Do you remember the play?

I was at that game. Carlen took Rogers out around the 3rd quarter and there were fans sitting all around us saying leave Rogers in and let him get 400 yards to increase his chances of winning the Heisman. Of course, taking Rogers out early was the right thing to do.

But, I remember a big play in that game by Carolina and it's one the Gamecocks rarely are ever successful at executing. Do you remember the play?

I don't remember; what was it?

September 19, 1998; on that night we gave Marshall their first ever win over an sec team, 24-21, I remember either our band or their band did their show on the field before the game and several members tripped and fell over each other, and when we got on offense we had multiple delay of game penalties, should've known then that was going to be the miserable year it turned out to be.

September 19, 1998; on that night we gave Marshall their first ever win over an sec team, 24-21, I remember either our band or their band did their show on the field before the game and several members tripped and fell over each other, and when we got on offense we had multiple delay of game penalties, should've known then that was going to be the miserable year it turned out to be.

Kicked a FG as time expired. That loss was definitely a brutal one. Chad Pennington was the Marshall QB at the time. Funny thing is Marshall beat Clemson the following season as well.

1973. First game my freshman year against GaTech. We won. To be honest, I don't have clear memories of the game.

I do remember LSU coming to town that year. That was my first experience of our fans as complete lunatics. Great game with Jeff Grantz at qb. Lost 31-27 but in it through the very lag snap. In field goal range, but needed 4 to tie

Last edited:
He and that Harley guy for ECU just humiliated us, and Harley did it in the driving rain.
Yep. That was the year that half of the starting running backs we faced won SEC player of the week after their huge performance against us. Robert Edwards at Georgia, Madre Hill at Arkansas, Mo Williams at Kentucky. Our defense was pathetic.

1980 opening game against pacific. Senior year at USC Upstate. Scored some tickets and took a smoking young lady I went to school with. Never went past that first date though. Was it me?

Yep. That was the year that half of the starting running backs we faced won SEC player of the week after their huge performance against us. Robert Edwards at Georgia, Madre Hill at Arkansas, Mo Williams at Kentucky. Our defense was pathetic.

I thought this was a happy thread......
we didn't tackle anyone for about a six week period that year
parts of the stadium are still wet from the UK rain

Reactions: DrMickey
1979 - I was 8. My parents tried one game (no idea which one) to see if I would like it enough to get season tickets the next year. So our first season tickets were 1980. Not a bad year. As a side thought: Boy, those independent schedules sure brought in a slew of generic opponents peppered with a couple of good ones.

1979 - I was 8. My parents tried one game (no idea which one) to see if I would like it enough to get season tickets the next year. So our first season tickets were 1980. Not a bad year. As a side thought: Boy, those independent schedules sure brought in a slew of generic opponents peppered with a couple of good ones.

I loved the independent days. Georgia, Fla State, Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Nebraska, Michigan. Some great non conference games.

You could argue the best schedules we will ever play were in the 80s

Sept 16, 1967 season opener against Iowa State. It was the second year of Paul Dietzel's tenure and the gamecocks won 34-3 in front of 26,433. Mike Fair was the QB and then later turned into a crazy ass politician, hall of famers Warren Muir was the leading rusher and Freddy Zeigler was the leading receiver

Last edited:
1975 vs. Baylor. Beat the Bears 24-13. They were in the top 20 at the time. Grantz threw some great passes.

1975 vs. Baylor. Beat the Bears 24-13. They were in the top 20 at the time. Grantz threw some great passes.
that was my first game as well. Dad took me while he was attending USC to get his masters. Important game for him being he was originally from Texas. He hated Baylor.

It was September 10, 1983 vs. Miami of OH. My midget football team went as a group. Our bus broke down on I26 and they eventually had to break us down in groups and drive us the rest of the way by car. I think I only got to see the 2nd half of the game. For the longest I kept hold of the miniature plastic football I got from that game but you know kids. I played with it until the letters wore off.

@Jon Snow @Gamecockben1979 @ScWildthing61

My parents have said as much about that '95 UK game. Like someone said, probably a good introduction to Gamecock Football.. someone having the game of their career against us. Definitely have vivid recollections of that happening more recently (McFadden, Tebow, Grayson Lambert, etc.)
McFadden and Felix Jones both ran through is that night. Didn't McFadden finish over 300 yards rushing and Jones had about 250

Brad Scott and Wally Burnham tag team.

Was that the game where we ran misdirection on every kickoff with handoffs and fake handoffs to a man on about the ten yard line?

1957. We lost to NC State. Alex Hawkins, King Dixon and Bobby Bunch were our stars.

I attended the first game in 1957 and Duke won the game. Dixon and Hawkins were juniors, Ed Pitts and John Saunders were Soph. I believe Derrrick was an end. The players played offensive and defense with the freshman playing the night before as a freshman team. Giese was the coach. We beat Texas that year but lost to most of the SEC teams.

Last edited:
Brad Scott and Wally Burnham tag team.
Only good thing was it planted the seeds for the end of that era. Brad was supposed to be a "fast break offense" guy, recruited players for that system for 3 years. Then when the defense sucked, instead of finding a new defensive coordinator and a few new position coaches... He scraped his offense, switched to a slower, run-heavy approach in hopes of keeping the defense off the field

Last edited:
September 20th, 2003 vs. UAB. I was 8 years old. My grandfather took me and we sat in Section 301 for the game. He had a spot across the street from the fairgrounds for his camper and we slept overnight the Friday before, grilling out and throwing the football around. We won the game 42-10.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT