ADVERTISEMENT

When was the first time you ever attended a game at WB?

i want to say it was 1983 against Navy and i think we barely won....i was 13....definitely early 80's

1973. First game my freshman year against GaTech. We won. To be honest, I don't have clear memories of the game.

I do remember LSU coming to town that year. That was my first experience of our fans as complete lunatics. Great game with Jeff Grantz at qb. Lost 31-27 but in it through the very lag snap. In field goal range, but needed 4 to tie

I attended the Ga. Tech game, I did not attend the LSU game.

I attended the first game in 1957 and Duke won the game. Dixon and Hawkins were juniors, Ed Pitts and John Saunders were Soph. I believe Derrrick was an end. The players played offensive and defense with the freshman playing the night before as a freshman team. Giese was the coach. We beat Texas that year but lost to most of the SEC teams.

. . .but we would beat UGA in '58 and '59.

Sept 16, 1967 season opener against Iowa State. It was the second year of Paul Dietzel's tenure and the gamecocks won 34-3 in front of 26,433. Mike Fair was the QB and then later turned into a crazy ass politician, hall of famers Warren Muir was the leading rusher and Freddy Zeigler was the leading receiver

That was my first game also

The 1989 game verse NC State. I was 10 and went with my dad. It was the game Todd Ellis got hurt. I've been a huge fan my whole life.

'87 UVA game I believe. I was ten. Went with my dad and grandfather. Had seen plenty of games on tv but not at WBS. Sterling ran back a punt that day. He was my hero as a kid.

1957 Duke. My Dad ( Happy Fathers Day Dad) with my older brother ( Cock of Earl friend Jim Bennett). I was 6 and have the ticket stub ( thanks Mom) framed in my private den / do what I want do and watch what I want to watch. HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL Dads!!!

I try to post this thread every year right after the baseball season ends for the Gamecocks. This is one of my favorite threads because so many people have such fond memories of the very first time they attended a game at WB. It may have been with their father, brother/sister, or their first love or a friend.

The first time I attended a game at WB was in 1971, the Gamecocks were playing Maryland. I don't remember the exact score but the Gamecocks won handedly. Dicky Harris was a senior and was the nations leading punt returner or kick-off returner, I can't remember which. He also had a lot of interceptions that year. It was also the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf at WB. I just remember sitting in the South End Zone corner and looking around the stadium and saying to myself this is the prettiest stadium I have ever seen.

I rode down to that game with a friend that has since pasted away, sadly to say. But that first time I visited WB will always be at the top of the list in my memory bank of all the games and good times I have enjoyed at WB.

So please share with us your experience (s) relative to the first game you ever attended at WB.

I look forward to reading all of them.

1976 at home vs Ole Miss

I have vague recollections because I was in 3rd grade. We apparently sat in the West Upper behind the lights and I recall my dad saying that he could smell the booze on the locals.

The 1977 game vs Clemson (ABC Regional TV) was the one that hooked me as I watched it on TV.

September 6, 1980 was my first game at WB.... a 37-0 win vs. Pacific. It was my freshman year and my first time watching Big George toting the rock. Been hooked ever since.
I don't remember the exact year but it was close to 1980 and i was in the end zone where the student section is now and we lost to Pacific and Gordon Beckum was our QB. Bad day , i also ran into the back of another car on George Rogers Blvd. in my parents Honda Accord, and i was sober.

I don't remember the exact year but it was close to 1980 and i was in the end zone where the student section is now and we lost to Pacific and Gordon Beckum was our QB. Bad day , i also ran into the back of another car on George Rogers Blvd. in my parents Honda Accord, and i was sober.

There was no excuse to be sober after losing to Pacific. Lol

Reactions: flatwoodcock
Unfortunately, my older brother took me to my first game in November 1980. Against clemmy. :confused::mad::rolleyes:

September 5th, 1987 in the home opener against Appalachian State. I don’t remember much about it at all other than being there at the game. I was 5 years old.
I remember that game because my brothers and I took my then college instructor who is now my best friend. He graduated from App St. I’m happy to say I brought him into the fold and he is a big Gamecock fan now. Got his Doctorate from USC. I remember App St gave us all we could handle and had a huge OL.

Reactions: Carolina4
1973. First game my freshman year against GaTech. We won. To be honest, I don't have clear memories of the game.

I do remember LSU coming to town that year. That was my first experience of our fans as complete lunatics. Great game with Jeff Grantz at qb. Lost 31-27 but in it through the very lag snap. In field goal range, but needed 4 to tie

I was at that game too. Ga Tech was ranked and we beat them pretty handily. It was Grantz first game and he was amazing.

My first game was 1968 against Va Tech. Suggs was QB. Celebrating 50 years of watching Gamecock football this year.

Honesty have NO idea. My parents were taking me to games at WB before I knew what a football was.

First one I actually remember was Iowa State in 1967. Mike Fair was the QB for Carolina then. We beat them pretty bad...like 34-3. It wasn’t called Willie-B back then, it was Carolina Stadium.

I try to post this thread every year right after the baseball season ends for the Gamecocks. This is one of my favorite threads because so many people have such fond memories of the very first time they attended a game at WB. It may have been with their father, brother/sister, or their first love or a friend.

The first time I attended a game at WB was in 1971, the Gamecocks were playing Maryland. I don't remember the exact score but the Gamecocks won handedly. Dicky Harris was a senior and was the nations leading punt returner or kick-off returner, I can't remember which. He also had a lot of interceptions that year. It was also the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf at WB. I just remember sitting in the South End Zone corner and looking around the stadium and saying to myself this is the prettiest stadium I have ever seen.

I rode down to that game with a friend that has since pasted away, sadly to say. But that first time I visited WB will always be at the top of the list in my memory bank of all the games and good times I have enjoyed at WB.

So please share with us your experience (s) relative to the first game you ever attended at WB.

I look forward to reading all of them.

My first game was as a freshman on October 6, 1962. We tied Georgia 7-7 in the old, but beautiful "bowl shaped" stadium prior to any of the renovations. I loved that old stadium and always thought it was pretty sharp looking.

1979 - I was 8. My parents tried one game (no idea which one) to see if I would like it enough to get season tickets the next year. So our first season tickets were 1980. Not a bad year. As a side thought: Boy, those independent schedules sure brought in a slew of generic opponents peppered with a couple of good ones.
Hoops suffered the same fate.

I attended the first game in 1957 and Duke won the game. Dixon and Hawkins were juniors, Ed Pitts and John Saunders were Soph. I believe Derrrick was an end. The players played offensive and defense with the freshman playing the night before as a freshman team. Giese was the coach. We beat Texas that year but lost to most of the SEC teams.
I think you meant we lost to most of the ACC teams. We didn't play any SEC schools that year (past, present as of 1957, or future). Finished 2-5 in the ACC.:(

Do you mean most of the ACC teams?

I was at that game too. Ga Tech was ranked and we beat them pretty handily. It was Grantz first game and he was amazing.

My first game was 1968 against Va Tech. Suggs was QB. Celebrating 50 years of watching Gamecock football this year.
My father took one of my brothers to this game. Car broke down on US 21 about 10 miles north of Yemassee on the way back to Beaufort after the game (this was almost 10 years before I-95 was finished in South Carolina). Luckily, they were able to flag down someone else coming back to Beaufort from the game. Still, they didn't get home until about 5:00am Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT