ADVERTISEMENT

When we got Jerry Meyers back, I thought our pitching would be solid.

Rock Hill Cock

Oct 29, 1998
But our staff is just pathetic. And they're all his recruits.

Last edited:
Let's hope he hires a proven batting coach too, I realize that a batting coach can't necessarily turn a .250 hitter in to a .340 hitter, but he damn sure can only help us improve our .254 team batting avg.
239th out of 295 teams is solid.....lol

I figure Holbrook will fire Meyers at the end of this season.
Did you know we lead the SEC in ERA last season? Doubtful Meyers gets fired.

Our AD and HC are not reactionary children like all you fanboys. They will not clean house because of ONE bad season. Talk all you want of "patterns"- there is none. Until it happens again this season was a blip on the radar coming off back to back 40+ win seasons over Holbrook's first two seasons as a HC. Injuries, unexplainable drop offs in production from hitters like Bright and Destino, errors from guys who are normally solid fielders... This year seems to have had all sorts of unexplainable issues, and it is tough to blame most of them on coaching... Again, until happens often enough to constitute a pattern and indicate a lack of fundamentals. We have the talent, recruiting is not an issue, and Holbrook knows how to teach the fundamentals... So we have to expect a turnaround next year. Doubt anybody loses their job, certainly not the HC, and the pitching coach whose squad carried us last year is not likely gone either. Hard to pin the troubles on him when his best starting pitcher was lost to injury half way through the SEC slate!

Get a grip people... Everybody has a bad season every now and then!

Yep, stand pat, make no changes, that's the ticket! And by the way, it's not just because of one bad season, we've been going downhill every year since Holbrook became head coach.

Reactions: 85alum#
Meyers is the best. we have a talent drop off period in pitching and as a team. as far as hitting we are not swinging at good pitches. we are letting good pitches go by and then swinging at crap as a team. no plate discipline. nothing wrong with our head coach and pitching coach. we might change hitting coaches which means brian busher will be replaced but he played in the pros with Minnesota and won the sec batting crown his last year at usc so im not sure he will go either. we have young talent but we are just not having a good year that's all. they will be fine with more recruiting in which Holbrook is one the best at.

Reactions: searooster
I'm sorry, but a change needs to be made. Jerry has a habit (and this is a carry over from his first tenure) of continually using the same few arms over and over again, instead of giving other guys a shot when those few aren't getting the job done. I know we have other guys in the bullpen besides Mincy, Fiori, and Murray.

Pitching was supposed to be our strength this year, and outside of Jack, Will, and at times Taylor, I am not overly impressed with this staff. Something has to be done.

Agree with BG. Also, I don't believe BB is our problem as hitting
coach. Great hitter as mentioned above - also, how much of the
recruiting does every believe Holbrook is doing?

Reactions: CAIN#
I'm surprised Meyers hasn't left on his own. He came here to coach for Tanner. Being Holbrook's assistant is like a demotion.

I think he may leave on his own this year. He is a highly respected pitching coach. I would not be surprised if things aren't too rosy between him and Holbrook.

I'm surprised Meyers hasn't left on his own. He came here to coach for Tanner. Being Holbrook's assistant is like a demotion.

Remember he was Tanner's pitching coach when we made our CWS run from 2002-2004 and then left to take the ODU head job. Didn't work out so he returned when Calvi went to South Alabama. I don't see him leaving a second time unless he's forced out. Ray could probably pull some strings for him to land another pitching coach gig though. Wish he would.

Last edited:
Not sure how this doesn't go right back to Holbrook. We can't hit, we can't pitch, but the one unforgivable thing is we can't field anymore. You speak of hitting slumps, pitching injuries, etc. but there is absolutely NO excuse for the defensive comedy we see from this team. If one of the three, or MAYBE two of them were the issue that's one thing. But we are bad in every phase of the game. And THAT is a head coaching problem.

Not sure how this doesn't go right back to Holbrook. We can't hit, we can't pitch, but the one unforgivable thing is we can't field anymore. You speak of hitting slumps, pitching injuries, etc. but there is absolutely NO excuse for the defensive comedy we see from this team. If one of the three, or MAYBE two of them were the issue that's one thing. But we are bad in every phase of the game. And THAT is a head coaching problem.

Totally agree but the fact of the matter is Chad is coming back next year whether we like it or not. Needs to be a change on the staff somewhere. I personally think you will not see any changes because Holbrook's staff are all former Tanner staff/players. Hope I'm wrong.

Yep, stand pat, make no changes, that's the ticket! And by the way, it's not just because of one bad season, we've been going downhill every year since Holbrook became head coach.

Andy... in your eyes we have NEVER went UP. How can YOU say "we've been going down since Holbrook took over." We were the dredges of the ocean when Tanner was coaching the championship team year. You have NEVER acknowledged the Gamecocks as a championship team. We were always "just lucky to win that particular game" and would lose the next ones. Pitiful, Pitiful, Pitiful.

Reactions: searooster
Did you know we lead the SEC in ERA last season? Doubtful Meyers gets fired.

Our AD and HC are not reactionary children like all you fanboys. They will not clean house because of ONE bad season. Talk all you want of "patterns"- there is none. Until it happens again this season was a blip on the radar coming off back to back 40+ win seasons over Holbrook's first two seasons as a HC. Injuries, unexplainable drop offs in production from hitters like Bright and Destino, errors from guys who are normally solid fielders... This year seems to have had all sorts of unexplainable issues, and it is tough to blame most of them on coaching... Again, until happens often enough to constitute a pattern and indicate a lack of fundamentals. We have the talent, recruiting is not an issue, and Holbrook knows how to teach the fundamentals... So we have to expect a turnaround next year. Doubt anybody loses their job, certainly not the HC, and the pitching coach whose squad carried us last year is not likely gone either. Hard to pin the troubles on him when his best starting pitcher was lost to injury half way through the SEC slate!

Get a grip people... Everybody has a bad season every now and then!
Sorry, but this is not just a bad season, this is a horrible season. Plus, it comes after two previous seasons that were not great.

It is not just one horrible season; it is a downward trend over three seasons. The common factor is the coach.

totally agree....how in the world does the coach not take all the blame....hes the one in charge....if he doesnt take all of the blame, then i guess we dont need a coach since he has nothing to do with whats going on

Andy... in your eyes we have NEVER went UP. How can YOU say "we've been going down since Holbrook took over." We were the dredges of the ocean when Tanner was coaching the championship team year. You have NEVER acknowledged the Gamecocks as a championship team. We were always "just lucky to win that particular game" and would lose the next ones. Pitiful, Pitiful, Pitiful.
LOL. So you are going to use ANDY's ramblings from previous years to try to defend Holbrook now to make it look like we haven't fallen far as a program? THAT's your your argument? Obviously we were an excellent team a few years ago no matter who said we weren't and have the trophy case to prove it. It doesn't change the fact that things are a lot different now and look to be getting worse by losing all our best players again after this year. Leave Andy alone. He never has any thing positive to say, he only posts when we lose or there is something valid to complain about.It doesn't matter how good of year we are having when we lose he will post and complain, when we win he will be absent. It doesn't bother me. The fact that he is posting more than usual is just another sign that we are slipping.

LOL. So you are going to use ANDY's ramblings from previous years to try to defend Holbrook now to make it look like we haven't fallen far as a program? THAT's your your argument? Obviously we were an excellent team a few years ago no matter who said we weren't and have the trophy case to prove it. It doesn't change the fact that things are a lot different now and look to be getting worse by losing all our best players again after this year. Leave Andy alone. He never has any thing positive to say, he only posts when we lose or there is something valid to complain about.It doesn't matter how good of year we are having when we lose he will post and complain, when we win he will be absent. It doesn't bother me. The fact that he is posting more than usual is just another sign that we are slipping.
The fact YOU are posting more than usual is a sign of the exact same thing unfortunately. Sure hope we get our stuff together soon so all these Trolls will disappear!

Reactions: Tigerof66
We gave up 1 run Friday night and 3 today, if we catch ball in lf today we only give up two. This is with a staff that lost our ace. Don't think pitching is the problem.

W

Reality Check--we were going to go down hill after those 3 trips to Omaha. Just as we did after the first 3 trips to Omaha (see 2005-2009).

Some of you think we were going to go to Omaha every year if Ray stayed. You need to get a grip. Wasn't gonna happen.

W

Reality Check--we were going to go down hill after those 3 trips to Omaha. Just as we did after the first 3 trips to Omaha (see 2005-2009).

Some of you think we were going to go to Omaha every year if Ray stayed. You need to get a grip. Wasn't gonna happen.
We had good players this season. How do you explain the horrible season?

W

Ummm those teams always made the postseason and played competitively.

Readrooster... Ist off, I wasn't posting for your comments, I was replying to Andy. 2nd... NO WHERE in my post did I say ANYTHING defending Holbrook. Try reading a post and comprehending what it says before you make a comment. And last but not least, your post from basketball and now baseball ranks you right there along with Andy. Try to get over yourself.

We gave up 10 or 11 hits today, their staff gave up just 3 hits. You still think our bull pen is not a problem?? Hint: we are bad in ALL aspects of the game.
yep u r right.....however, pitching is the best of all that, yet still not that good.....too many people on here where garnet glasses and refuse to accept the truth

yep u r right.....however, pitching is the best of all that, yet still not that good.....too many people on here where garnet glasses and refuse to accept the truth

Agreed. Of all the problems we have, the pitching is the better, but the BP is still a problem area. Plus, we never really developed a solid third game (Sunday) starter, that has been done by committee.

Ummm those teams always made the postseason and played competitively.

Ummm the 05 and 09 teams barely made it and got bounced quickly in the regional. If memory serves, '07 team was loaded with 3 first rounders in the starting lineup and still didn't make it to Omaha.
This team has nothing even resembling a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder.
Recruiting will get better. We will be back in postseason next year.

W

I don't expect to get to Omaha every year but I didn't expect to fall off the abyss into oblivion either. You can be very good and miss getting there but this team is inept. And the more they play, the worse they've gotten. How can fans not be worried?

Reactions: usaguy40
Not good enough just to make the tournament. Heck, we made the regionals last year and were bounced quickly at home nonetheless. We best be at least a super regional team next year!

I don't expect to get to Omaha every year but I didn't expect to fall off the abyss into oblivion either. You can be very good and miss getting there but this team is inept. And the more they play, the worse they've gotten. How can fans not be worried?
only the ones with no clue are not worried

Ummm the 05 and 09 teams barely made it and got bounced quickly in the regional. If memory serves, '07 team was loaded with 3 first rounders in the starting lineup and still didn't make it to Omaha.
This team has nothing even resembling a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder.
Recruiting will get better. We will be back in postseason next year.

They still made a regional though and neither were bounced quickly whatever that means. You have no way of knowing we will be back in the postseason next year.

We gave up 10 or 11 hits today, their staff gave up just 3 hits. You still think our bull pen is not a problem?? Hint: we are bad in ALL aspects of the game.
I will say again, we gave up 1 run on Friday and 3 on Sunday which if we catch fly ball would have only been 2 runs. You blame pitching for losing a game where they only give up 3 runs, and it only should have been two.
We gave up 10 runs over the weekend, that is 3 runs per game, not sure that is bad ptiching? Hell, our pitchers know if they give up more than 1-2 runs we probably lose.

Meyers is NOT the problem! At least where Meyers is concerned I can see the role that bad luck has cost when it comes to pitching with injuries etc but the lack of Offense is very troubling and has been for some time.

Ray was good at playing small ball to cover up for a lack of offense but Chad isn't Ray and doesn't have that trick to fall back on when there isn't production.

This team needs Offense in a bad way and I don't see it sitting over on the bench. So you have to get someone that can get Offense out of what we have or you have to find players capable of producing that Offense.

The solution to this is actually pretty easy you just gotta set aside the fact that you like or don't like a coach/player and do whats in the best interest of the TEAM.

Our coaches arent at fault. Its evauation.Our freshmen were studs by the time they were sophomores. We even lost guys to the draft. It all sits in Holbrooks lap. Sad but true. Meyers and Pearce didnt lose their ability overnight. Give Chad one more year,just to be sure. Our next coach will know we are fair, if it comes to that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT