ADVERTISEMENT

When you win a national title and your instate rival signs a better class?

I think most would be OK with it "coming back and biting you" when it includes winning a national championship with 70% of your team sophomores and freshmen.
Few of which were on the 2 deep. Don't yet know if they are as good as the Jr./Sr. classes that won the NC. They needed to take a RB in this class (despite it being a small class) for a reason.

Still makes sense. Much easier to get more quality when you spread them fairly equally between 4 classes as opposed to packing them in 2 classes....equaling out classes once you start down the road of lopsided classes is increasingly difficult to do.
I don't know the breakdown, but the number of redishirts makes a huge difference. If they redshirted 10 more guys than us last year, they have basically the same number of freshman starting out as we do. We have to play our freshman because we don't have as many talented upperclassmen. We're not doing any of this by design.

I don't know the breakdown, but the number of redishirts makes a huge difference. If they redshirted 10 more guys than us last year, they have basically the same number of freshman starting out as we do. We have to play our freshman because we don't have as many talented upperclassmen. We're not doing any of this by design.
Same number of RS.

Clemson has consistently shown an ability to defeat teams that out-recruit them. In the ACC, FSU and Miami recruit better than they do, and Clemson has been consistently better than Miami and also better than FSU save the 2 years FSU had Jameis Winston (who BTW was a much higher profile recruit than Watson ... Winston went #1 overall with a rape charge hanging over his head ... Watson is considered a model citizen and may not even crack the first round). Outside the ACC, Clemson is 2-0 against Oklahoma, 2-0 against Ohio State and 1-1 against Alabama ... total of 7-1 against national powerhouse programs that consistently recruit top 10 and sometimes top 5 classes. Even better: 3 of the 4 games against Oklahoma and Ohio State were massacres where Clemson totally outclassed them. And Watson only played in 2 of the 4 games.

Some teams really don't need top recruiting classes to contend for and win titles. Just like Nebraska didn't during their run in the 90s. They never signed a single top 10 class because they ran the power option and were located in Lincoln, Nebraska. Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, FSU, Miami, Tennessee, USC, Ohio State, Michigan all regularly signed higher rated classes, and Nebraska outperformed them all on the field.

Another example: even though they never actually won a national title, they did play for 2 titles in Oregon. They never had top 15 classes either. They also rarely signed 5 star recruits, and when they did they often did not pan out. Same thing with Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech. He had a run of top 10 finishes, including a spot in the title game, and recruited classes in the 20s and 30s. If you are running a good system and coach well enough for it, you can outperform your recruiting rankings. I guess you can say that Clemson is doing that with the modern version of the wishbone. They run a HUNH shotgun spread offense and always recruit a bunch of 4 and 5 star WRs - future NFL guys - in every class. Not just those stereotypical spread offense system guys that you see in the Big 12, but guys who actually have the skills and ability to play in a pro style offense, which is why Clemson's WRs do a lot better in the NFL than those Big 12 WRs who put up better numbers. With WRs like that, and good QBs to throw the ball - again Clemson gets 4 and 5 star guys that SEC teams like UGA and Florida don't seem to have much of an interest in, as UGA did not even offer Watson until late in his junior year despite Watson breaking the Georgia high school PASSING record by over 4000 yards, which means that he broke it during HIS JUNIOR SEASON - and you have an offense that pretty much no college defense can stop. Just like no college defense was able to stop Nebraska's option in the 1990s.

Their approach is actually BETTER than simply trying to get the best athletes to run the same offensive and defensive schemes as everyone else. Innovation and superior execution beats stockpiling talent any day of the week. Take a look at the Big 12 again. They have been running spread offenses right and left out there for going on 20 years, yet none of them use dual threat QBs. Texas did it once with Vince Young and won a title, but abandoned it. Oklahoma has never gone with a dual threat QB and doesn't even recruit them. OU considered offering Cam Newton, who would have gone there, but they changed their mind and never did. Everyone just goes out there and does the same thing year after year expecting different results.

Clemson did something different. They were the first team in the ACC to go all in on the spread, and they were one of the rare HUNH spread passing teams to use a dual threat QB, as most spread offenses with dual threat QBs more heavily feature the running game and aren't very good at throwing the ball. As South Carolina is never going to out recruit the likes of Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, UGA, Florida and even Auburn and Texas A&M consistently, they are going to have to learn to be innovators who outperform their recruiting rankings also. Do you think that Muschamp is the sort of coach capable of building a staff that can do so?

Not sure some of you understand how the rankings work. They take in quality and quantity. We are higher simply because we took way more guys. Look at the average star ranking of the class. They are top 5. A class of 25 3 stars would rank higher than a class of 15 4 stars.

Clemson has consistently shown an ability to defeat teams that out-recruit them. In the ACC, FSU and Miami recruit better than they do, and Clemson has been consistently better than Miami and also better than FSU save the 2 years FSU had Jameis Winston (who BTW was a much higher profile recruit than Watson ... Winston went #1 overall with a rape charge hanging over his head ... Watson is considered a model citizen and may not even crack the first round). Outside the ACC, Clemson is 2-0 against Oklahoma, 2-0 against Ohio State and 1-1 against Alabama ... total of 7-1 against national powerhouse programs that consistently recruit top 10 and sometimes top 5 classes. Even better: 3 of the 4 games against Oklahoma and Ohio State were massacres where Clemson totally outclassed them. And Watson only played in 2 of the 4 games.

Some teams really don't need top recruiting classes to contend for and win titles. Just like Nebraska didn't during their run in the 90s. They never signed a single top 10 class because they ran the power option and were located in Lincoln, Nebraska. Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, FSU, Miami, Tennessee, USC, Ohio State, Michigan all regularly signed higher rated classes, and Nebraska outperformed them all on the field.

Another example: even though they never actually won a national title, they did play for 2 titles in Oregon. They never had top 15 classes either. They also rarely signed 5 star recruits, and when they did they often did not pan out. Same thing with Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech. He had a run of top 10 finishes, including a spot in the title game, and recruited classes in the 20s and 30s. If you are running a good system and coach well enough for it, you can outperform your recruiting rankings. I guess you can say that Clemson is doing that with the modern version of the wishbone. They run a HUNH shotgun spread offense and always recruit a bunch of 4 and 5 star WRs - future NFL guys - in every class. Not just those stereotypical spread offense system guys that you see in the Big 12, but guys who actually have the skills and ability to play in a pro style offense, which is why Clemson's WRs do a lot better in the NFL than those Big 12 WRs who put up better numbers. With WRs like that, and good QBs to throw the ball - again Clemson gets 4 and 5 star guys that SEC teams like UGA and Florida don't seem to have much of an interest in, as UGA did not even offer Watson until late in his junior year despite Watson breaking the Georgia high school PASSING record by over 4000 yards, which means that he broke it during HIS JUNIOR SEASON - and you have an offense that pretty much no college defense can stop. Just like no college defense was able to stop Nebraska's option in the 1990s.

Their approach is actually BETTER than simply trying to get the best athletes to run the same offensive and defensive schemes as everyone else. Innovation and superior execution beats stockpiling talent any day of the week. Take a look at the Big 12 again. They have been running spread offenses right and left out there for going on 20 years, yet none of them use dual threat QBs. Texas did it once with Vince Young and won a title, but abandoned it. Oklahoma has never gone with a dual threat QB and doesn't even recruit them. OU considered offering Cam Newton, who would have gone there, but they changed their mind and never did. Everyone just goes out there and does the same thing year after year expecting different results.

Clemson did something different. They were the first team in the ACC to go all in on the spread, and they were one of the rare HUNH spread passing teams to use a dual threat QB, as most spread offenses with dual threat QBs more heavily feature the running game and aren't very good at throwing the ball. As South Carolina is never going to out recruit the likes of Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, UGA, Florida and even Auburn and Texas A&M consistently, they are going to have to learn to be innovators who outperform their recruiting rankings also. Do you think that Muschamp is the sort of coach capable of building a staff that can do so?
Don't kid yourself. Clemson is winning because of talent.

Miami hasn't out recruited you lately.
FSU beats you as much as you beat them and you've lately recruited fairly evenly.
One of those Oklahoma teams was ranked pretty low if I'm not mistaken. I don't know why you guys always use that as a glowing example of your prestige.
SC beat Alabama when they were number 1 as well.

Clemson had a great team this past year and they have a great thing going right now, but it's talent and coaching. You're not where you are or even close without it.

I don't disagree with all of your post. I'm just saying that talent was obviously the difference between this year and your previous teams.

I don't think @SpursUPgunsOUT is a tater. I think he said what he did to see how many taters struggle with insecurity. The fact that they are on their rival's board and defending themselves shows me they took the bait hook, line and sinker. Let me help my tater friends out....sometimes less is more and silence is golden. Saying nothing in response to this post would have hurt the most. Thanks for confirming our suspicions.

Reactions: SpursUPgunsOUT
I don't think @SpursUPgunsOUT is a tater. I think he said what he did to see how many taters struggle with insecurity. The fact that they are on their rival's board and defending themselves shows me they took the bait hook, line and sinker. Let me help my tater friends out....sometimes less is more and silence is golden. Saying nothing in response to this post would have hurt the most. Thanks for confirming our suspicions.
The irony of house taters running out to question my post lol. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Poor roster management?

It's all a factor of attrition and how long guys stay in the program. We've had very few players leave the program early recently aside from the handful of JRs each year that have left for the NFL.

If your average player only stays in the program 3 or so years you need to sign 25+ every cycle to stay at 85. If they are staying longer you need less. Dabo has also handed out some scholarships to walkons like Renfrow.

It's all a factor of attrition and how long guys stay in the program. We've had very few players leave the program early recently aside from the handful of JRs each year that have left for the NFL.

If your average player only stays in the program 3 or so years you need to sign 25+ every cycle to stay at 85. If they are staying longer you need less. Dabo has also handed out some scholarships to walkons like Renfrow.
Yeah, heard some Clemson fans complain that his refusal to "process" players (eventhough that may be in the player's best interest) like Bama and other schools is hurting the roster by causing uneven classes. I understand that many think that is nice, but if a kid wants to play and you know he can't play for you...is it really being nice and fair to the kid.

Reactions: lowcountrytiger

I'm also about 80% sure than SpursUPgunsOUT is a guy by the name GWPTiger. He was SportsSuites. I can't confirm for sure just yet. I'll keep you updated bro.

This thread makes me laugh. We had a good signing day as we held on to J Williams, Kinlaw, etc. Boom recruited as well as could be expected for a 3-9 team last year and a 6-7 team this year. He is not recruiting under the Auburn, Florida or Texas banner anymore. He has to be given time to add a few classes together. We are not even close to the talent in the upstate. They just smoked Ohio State and Urban Crier 31-0. They won the national championship by beating big, bad Alabama and Nick Saban. And they should have won it last year. They just built a $55 million DaboLand(Operations building). We can and will get there, but we ain't close right now.

We have a way at looking at what we got and don't look at what everyone else got. What I mean by that is look at what Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Clempson and the rest of the SEC got. We finished 8 or 9 in the SEC. SOme of those finished 1-7 in the nation. Ughhh

Shhhh....

The tiger fans are nervous about this first true class of ours. They have been trying to act like it's not a big deal for the longest time in tnet lol. Fail nog.
Your first true class barely outranked theirs on points despite Clemson having only 14 scholarships available. Had Clemson added a few 2 star kickers to their current class, it would have ranked higher than yours. Adding 3 5 star recruits and 6 four star recruits to their 71 returning players = a lot more talent at Clemson than in Columbia. And having a more proven coaching staff to go with it.

Not only are you a troll, but you're a really dumb troll. Do you think anyone here took the time to read that f'ING fiction novel you just posted? Congrats! You're going to be the very first person I've put on ignore. See ya when you come back with a new account.

Don't kid yourself. Clemson is winning because of talent.

Miami hasn't out recruited you lately.
FSU beats you as much as you beat them and you've lately recruited fairly evenly.
One of those Oklahoma teams was ranked pretty low if I'm not mistaken. I don't know why you guys always use that as a glowing example of your prestige.
SC beat Alabama when they were number 1 as well.

Clemson had a great team this past year and they have a great thing going right now, but it's talent and coaching. You're not where you are or even close without it.

I don't disagree with all of your post. I'm just saying that talent was obviously the difference between this year and your previous teams.

False. Jimbo Fisher has out recruited Dabo every year he's been at FSU.

OK moron keep thinking you will never lose to usc....football is always changing I am sure you think you will be undefeated this year.

Let me get this straight.... you're a Clemson fan, on a Carolina board, telling me that I'm worried about Clemson? You've got to be joking right? Do you see the irony?

Happy offseason everyone! Laughing at both sides of this...the answer to every question here will be answered on the field in the coming years. Quality vs. Quantity, In-State vs. A wide net of recruiting. It will be interesting to watch for sure. I certainly do not like you guys (Gamecocks), but I need you because of what you mean to Clemson and college football. So I respect you. Also this is the only place to have any sort of discussion, the Clemson sites are just so, so incredibly bad.

Reactions: hopefultiger16
That doesn't change the issue about depth.
Clemson doesn't run kids off. There are 85 scholarships available in total. If you are signing 25 kids a class, like Alabama, it means that you are bleeding off 15 kids a year either through career-ending injury, arrests, going pro early, etc. Even Alabama isn't losing 15 kids a year early to the NFL, on top of the seniors that may be going. So programs like Alabama have a reputation for running kids off and oversigning.

vader_didnt_read.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT