ADVERTISEMENT

While we are doing all these best of posts....

cockymark

Oct 1, 2006
Ok here will be a tough but interesting one lets say last twenty years at the different positions USC v. Clemson who has had the better players should be a fun one!
QB- even
RB-slight edge clemson
OL-clemson
WR-USC
Kicker,Punter-USC
DL-even
LB-even
DB and Safeties-USC

Couple questions before we play.

are you asking:
1 - who has had the better players overall or who has had the best individual player at that position?

2 - college level, or college and NFL career?

Just saying thru those years who has had the most quality players at each position and it is OPINION no need to start with name calling rod!!

I think QB is the most lopsided position group in this discussion. Top 5 from both schools:

1) Watson
2) Shaw
3) Boyd
4) Dantzler
5) Whitehurst or maybe Garcia

What I was going to say... We'd only have 2 of the Top 5, and maybe not even that. And as good as Shaw was, Watson was a different level

And, FWIW, i think USC has had just as much, if not more, RB talent over that time period, but they've had a hard time keeping them on the field (for various reasons). Clemson got 4 years out of all 3 of their top RBs; Davis, Spiller, and Ellington.

Was Smelly really that bad? LOL, He had a horrible Clemson game one year, I would put Connor Mitch on that list over Smelly. I cut and paste the top ten stuff from wiki, i hope he is no longer top 10, and Paul Walker would of played him in the movie

He was a SEC offensive layer of the week, one week, he quit after his red shirt soph year

He completed 22 of 32 passes, threw for 327 yards and three touchdowns during a win against Ole Miss For his performance he was named the SEC Offensive Player of the Week.

He was 9-6 in 15 career starts. For his career, Smelley completed 56.4 percent of his passes for 3,210 yards and 23 touchdowns with 22 interceptions. He ranks in the top 10 on USC’s all-time list in completions (270), attempts (479), completion percentage and passing touchdowns (22).

Chris Smelley era, did produce this shirt, dont act like we still dont all have them, nuff said

chris-smelley-shirt-ak-180.jpg

I think QB is the most lopsided position group in this discussion. Top 5 from both schools:

1) Watson
2) Shaw
3) Boyd
4) Dantzler
Hummm let's see, why are 4 of 5 Klempson players? Give me a while to figure that one out it might call for a special investigator to understand. Don't ever include Dantzler or Boyd in the same list as Shaw.

Was Smelly really that bad? LOL, He had a horrible Clemson game one year, I would put Connor Mitch on that list over Smelly. I cut and paste the top ten stuff from wiki, i hope he is no longer top 10, and Paul Walker would of played him in the movie

He was a SEC offensive layer of the week, one week, he quit after his red shirt soph year

He completed 22 of 32 passes, threw for 327 yards and three touchdowns during a win against Ole Miss For his performance he was named the SEC Offensive Player of the Week.

He was 9-6 in 15 career starts. For his career, Smelley completed 56.4 percent of his passes for 3,210 yards and 23 touchdowns with 22 interceptions. He ranks in the top 10 on USC’s all-time list in completions (270), attempts (479), completion percentage and passing touchdowns (22).
Nah. He just transferred so I included him and a classic name. Had a big game on the road against Ole Miss. Remember Jason Barnes had a huge game in that one too.

Unfortunately, I really don't think we can claim any of the skill positions. WR would be close, but they've had 3 first rounders in the past few years.

I'd like to hear that argument.
Argument?
Boyd had slightly better stats than DT but the one year DT played he practically carried South Carolina on his shoulders and won games despite the defense trying to give it away.

Boyd couldn't win any big games despite having Sammy Watkins and stable of WRs including Mike Williams and some of the young talent that brough Clempson success in 2015 and 2016.

DT basically only had Pharroh Cooper with some flashes of Nick Jones.

Boyd under-performed against any team that had a heartbeat on defense. He had a similar approach to Shaw but could never deliver.

If that doesn't persuade you... are you going to say that one of Clempson's best QBs in the last 10+ years couldn't beat South Carolina?

I'm not saying DT should be at #3, I simply know that Boyd does not.

What about Boyd's pass to Nuke Hopkins to beat LSU in 2012? 4th and 16. Deep in Clemson territory. That play and that game led to what happened on January 9.

And his Orange Bowl win against Ohio State in 2013? " Underperformed against any team with a pulse on defense"? Tahj was no Deshaun, but he is a major part of the 2016 National Championship.

What about Boyd's pass to Nuke Hopkins to beat LSU in 2012? 4th and 16. Deep in Clemson territory. That play and that game led to what happened on January 9.
We can throw out apple and oranges all day if that's the route you want to go.
LSU handed Clempson that game. That play and that game led to the down fall of Miles at LSU. It's not like Boyd was dominating that game...
What about Boyd vs USC 2013?
Boyd vs FSU 2013?
Boyd vs USC 2013?
Boyd vs WVU 2012?
Boyd vs GT 2011?

1) Watson
2) Shaw
3) Boyd
4) Dantzler

I think Dylan Thompson deserves a spot in the top 5. He completed 60% for over 3500 yards and 26 TD's. It wasn't his fault the defense couldn't stop anyone.

Yep. You had the five in a row and Tahj was the goat in a lot of those. But without him for the years he played for the Tigers, the championship last January would never have happened.

Clemson has 8 WRs in the NFL right now. And before those I can think of at least 4 others. USC's were good too. But Clemson claims to be WRU, and I think for good reason.
Rice, McKinley, Jeffery, Cooper, etc. Yeah, we might can take that one.
The "etc" Rod mentions included some pretty good supporting cast of receivers like Bruce, Ace, Troy Williamson, Moe Brown, Tori Gurley, and some really good TEs. I wouldn't trade our crop of receivers over the last 20 years for theirs.

But to say our QBs were equal to theirs is ludicrous.

Reactions: vehemon
The "etc" Rod mentions included some pretty good supporting cast of receivers like Bruce, Ace, Troy Williamson, Moe Brown, Tori Gurley, and some really good TEs. I wouldn't trade our crop of receivers over the last 20 years for theirs.

But to say our QBs were equal to theirs is ludicrous.
Then you got to get into the argument of whether their performance in college or NFL matter.
It's painfully obvious we are ready for football season to be here already...

Clemson has 8 WRs in the NFL right now. And before those I can think of at least 4 others. USC's were good too. But Clemson claims to be WRU, and I think for good reason.

Hopkins, Watkins, Williams....who else? I can't think of the 8 you refer to?

Hopkins, Watkins, Williams....who else? I can't think of the 8 you refer to?

Jaron Brown
Montavious Bryant
Deandre Hopkins
Sammy Watkins
Adam Humphries
Charone Peake
Mike Williams
Artavios Scott

Thinking back a few years, there were Youngblood, Gardner, Hamilton, Stuckey, Currie, Ford ...

They've produced a lot of good receivers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT