ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s cutting onions?

ClemDent

Nov 27, 2017
Lowcountry
Having a 13 year old who loves baseball (and football), but has grown frustrated with what seems like a constant stream of injuries, this really hit me. You always hope as a parent that you raise your kids right. It’s ok to fail, it’s just never ok to give up.
I share this not because it’s a Clemson player but because I suspect the every schools team has kids just like Meredith. I think it’s easy to loose sight of just how much work these kids do. How many obstacles they have to overcome.
If you have to just turn the volume up and look away from the screen.

I was 31 when I lost my mom. Single. We were busy with our dad, but I was otherwise kind of at loose ends. I remember one February Saturday morning I went to work downtown for a while and then wandered into Grayson's, the clothing store that became Granger Owings. An older guy in there, a physician, whom I barely knew, came up to me and said that he had been thinking about me. That he knew that I had lost one of two people who would do anything at all for me. I was flummoxed. The next thing you know, this guy has invited me to go with him to his hunt club down on the Congaree for the afternoon. I went home, put on blue jeans and a flannel shirt (I was NOT a hunter) and rode down there with him. There was guys there I knew; mostly older. We killed tin cans, skeet, etc. Drank beer and bourbon (lots of both). And ate something wonderful cooked on the grill.

I never got the chance to tell the old doc how much I appreciated his gesture that day. I'm pretty sure he has passed away now. If they cremated him, his liver might turn into the "eternal flame." But his heart was golden.

It's stuff like this that puts the whole rivalry in perspective. Sometimes it seems like there's nothing more important that beating your hated rival. This shows otherwise. I lost my dad in 2000 and my mom in 2018. I'd give anything to be able to see and spend time with them again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT