ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you hate more Duke or UNC?

Gradstudent

Feb 11, 2006
We had UNC fans cheering rabidly for us, which was odd but understandable.

Duke appeared to be gracious in defeat, Coach K did not use playing us in SC as a excuse from what i heard, and they were complimentary of our defense being the toughest all year, you could see him with 18 seconds tell his team to stop fouling, a lot of teams just keep doing until the last tenth of a second.

I entered the game hating UNC more than Duke and still do.

Duke appeared to be gracious in defeat, Coach K did not use playing us in SC as a excuse from what i heard, and they were complimentary of our defense being the toughest all year, you could see him with 18 seconds tell his team to stop fouling, a lot of teams just keep doing until the last tenth of a second.

It's most unfortunate that when Dook and UnCarolina play each other that they can't both lose. I figure that the next best thing is for the visiting team to win in a blowout.

UNC. But man, Duke made case with all the bitching and moaning to the refs last night. That was hard to watch

North Carolina was/is the "Queen Bitch" of Tobacco Road. During our last 10 years we were in the ACC, UNC tried to play the 'we know nothing' about the dirty tricks ACC schools were pulling on USC. They wanted somebody else to do their dirty work for them and Duke, NC State, and Wake obediently followed the Heels' edict to 'Get McGuire and South Carolina - Whatever It Takes'. I hate those hypocritical/cheating/baby-blue- wearin' bastards!

Last edited:
Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
1. CLEMPSUN

2. UNC

3. Tennessee

4. FSU fanbase (like the school)

UNC

I've always hated UnCarolina. I actually adopted Duke as a basketball team when I lived in NC briefly. It was back in the late 70's when they had Gene Banks, Jim Spanarkle, and Mike Gminski. Little did I know that Bill Foster, their coach at the time, would end up coaching for my Gamecocks.

North Carolina was/is the "Queen Bitch" of Tobacco Road. During our last 10 years we were in the ACC, UNC tried to play the 'we know nothing' about the dirty tricks ACC schools were oulling on USC. They wanted somebody else to do their dirty work for them and Duke, NC State, and Wake obedientely followed the Heels' edict to 'Get McGuire and South Carolina - Whatever It Takes'. I hate those hypocritical/cheating/baby-blue- wearin' bastards!
Why would any ACC member single out USC in 1962? We hadn't yet hired McGuire!

UNC. It's easy for me. But again, hearkening back to the ACC days, when Mike Grosso was declared ineligible due to the back-room efforts of Eddie Cameron, and Duke canceled their game with us in Columbia because they were afraid to come to the Field House (I don't blame them) with emotions so high, every home USC game the rest of that year and leading to their visit the next year ended with the fans cheering, "Beat Duke. Beat Duke. Beat Hell Out of Duke! The hatred was intense, and never would have been abated had we stayed in the SEC. But Jim Weaver, a UNC man, also tried to get us not to hire Frank McGuire. There is plenty of animosity to go around, but I hate UNC worse.

Can you imagine what the game would be like now if SC would have stayed in the ACC?

Some of those stories sound mafia like, but I guess most of them were from the NYC area so it makes sense..

Reactions: atl-cock
UNC. It's easy for me. But again, hearkening back to the ACC days, when Mike Grosso was declared ineligible due to the back-room efforts of Eddie Cameron, and Duke canceled their game with us in Columbia because they were afraid to come to the Field House (I don't blame them) with emotions so high, every home USC game the rest of that year and leading to their visit the next year ended with the fans cheering, "Beat Duke. Beat Duke. Beat Hell Out of Duke! The hatred was intense, and never would have been abated had we stayed in the SEC. But Jim Weaver, a UNC man, also tried to get us not to hire Frank McGuire. There is plenty of animosity to go around, but I hate UNC worse.

I read recently that when USC made Vic Bubas an offer when he was looking around for a head coaching position after serving as Everett Case's assistant for several years at NCSU, he turned us down, believing that we were not sufficiently committed to basketball.

I believe that had we committed to building an arena 5 years before we did and Bubas had come to Columbia, there would not have been the animosity that resulted when we hired McGuire.

I really don't think the ACC was out to get USC in particular. I think they really didn't want to deal with McGuire, and we were guilty by association. However, if not for Paul Dietzel, I don't think we would have pulled out.

To be clear, I am in no way trying to denigrate McGuire's skills as a coach, his class, style, dedication, etc. He really brought a lot to the state. Alas, there was a trade-off.

The ACC didn't "go after" Maryland and Lefty. And remember, the Terps had won the ACC Tournament in 1958.

And it does make sense that the tournament was held in NC, being the geographic center of the conference. Where else would they have held it? Any decent facilities in SC in 1964? Any in Virginia? Yes, there was Cole Field House, but if Maryland had an early tournament exit, what about attendance at the rest of the games? I read somewhere that the tournament didn't become a sellout until 1965.

That's why, IMO, the SEC continues to hold the baseball tournament in Hoover - closest geographic proximity to as many league members as possible. More fans will travel for basketball and football, hence it's not as much of an issue.

Last edited:
I don't really have anything against Duke, and I find myself rooting for their football team in most circumstances.

GC7...Just talking bout the games and rivalries that would have stayed heated and the stories that could be told today bout the last 30 years of Dook, UNC, USC, NCSU games that would have been played. Even though its out of conference, they need to renew those games. Lots of money being lost today due to not playing each other....easy travel for all.

I read recently that when Vic Bubas was looking around for a head coaching position after serving as Everett Case's assistant for several years at NCSU that USC made him a offer. He turned us down, believing that we were not sufficiently committed to basketball.

I believe that had we committed to building an arena 5 years before we did and Bubas had come to Columbia, there would not have been the animosity that resulted when we hired McGuire.

I really don't think the ACC was out to get USC in particular. I think they really didn't want to deal with McGuire, and we were guilty by association.

To be clear, I am in no way trying to denigrate McGuire's skills as a coach, his class, style, dedication, etc. He really brought a lot to the state. Alas, there was a trade-off.

The ACC didn't "go after" Maryland and Lefty. And remember, the Terps had won the ACC Tournament in 1958.

And it does make sense that the tournament was held in NC, being the geographic center of the conference. Where else would they have held it? Any decent facilities in SC in 1964? Any in Virginia? Yes, there was Cole Field House, but if Maryland had an early tournament exit, what about attendance at the rest of the games? I read somewhere that the tournament didn't become a sellout until 1965.

That's why, IMO, the SEC continues to hold the baseball tournament in Hoover - closest geographic proximity to as many league members as possible. More fans will travel for basketball and football, hence it's not as much of an issue.
Any specific enmity between us and the ACC was entirely about McGuire. On the other side of the coin, Dietzel sold our leadership on the idea that the ACC's slightly more stringent entrance requirements and more limited scholarship numbers would prevent us from reaching national football prominence. We pulled out of the league and then the NCAA almost instantly legislated the same test score requirements and scholarship numbers for everyone. Basically, we wound up leaving for reasons which became moot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT