ADVERTISEMENT

Who on here used to watch the show Dallas back in the day?

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
Saw some episodes not too long ago, a few observations

Didn't know the ladies on there looked like that, would've watched sooner.

I'm amazed JR only got shot once with all the shenanigans he pulled, but in his defense he's one of those characters you know hes a scumbag but you love him anyway.

With all the times he's pissed Bobby off, you would think JR would learn to protect his lower stomach, you could almost bank it that Bobby's first punch would be an undercut to the lower stomach.

JR needs to stay away from the pool, all his fights with Bobby ended up with JR getting knocked into the pool and Bobby trying to choke him in the pool.

JR was the king of insults, and Cliff Barnes must've felt like the Washington Generals.

Nobody could capture a scene like Larry Hagman. Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy weren't too bad at this either.

This is the result of a good group of actors and actresses as well as behind the scenes crew(writes, director, producer, etc.)

Dallas must've been the king of season-ending cliffhangers, would've drove me nuts sitting around 4 months waiting for whatever would've been the resolution to the end of the previous season.

I'm amazed JR only got shot once with all the shenanigans he pulled, but in his defense he's one of those characters you know hes a scumbag but you love him anyway.

With all the times he's pissed Bobby off, you would think JR would learn to protect his lower stomach, you could almost bank it that Bobby's first punch would be an undercut to the lower stomach.

JR needs to stay away from the pool, all his fights with Bobby ended up with JR getting knocked into the pool and Bobby trying to choke him in the pool.

JR was the king of insults, and Cliff Barnes must've felt like the Washington Generals.

Nobody could capture a scene like Larry Hagman. Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy weren't too bad at this either.

This is the result of a good group of actors and actresses as well as behind the scenes crew(writes, director, producer, etc.)

Dallas must've been the king of season-ending cliffhangers, would've drove me nuts sitting around 4 months waiting for whatever would've been the resolution to the end of the previous season.
I went to South Fork. It was a nice home but not nearly as large as the wide-angle lens made it look in the opening.

One of the best lines in tv history in this scene. It’s short and worth it.

And in real life, Linda Gray and Larry Hagman were dear friends for decades who loved working together. In fact, although the show portrayed these actors as almost hating each other, cast member after cast member has said this group was as close as any cast they had ever worked with in their careers.

as is often the case, Larry was the opposite of his character and described as extremely gracious to friend and stranger alike.

Reactions: Brace1
I watched it. It was great. Is it available on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu?

Never watched, but remember the seemingly national outrage when the "it was all a dream" switch happened.

Never watched, but remember the seemingly national outrage when the "it was all a dream" switch happened.

That was because of Patric Duffy’s contract dispute. People were mad, but it was a genius move. He shows up in the shower and the entire previous season was just a dream.

Loved "Dallas," watched it while growing up in the 80's, right after "Dukes of Hazzard" on Friday nights. Back then, I thought Victoria Principal was the best looking woman on that show. Since then, my tastes have evolved...give me circa 1980 Linda Gray all day, every day, and twice on Sundays. Man, she was fine (and she aged much better than Victoria did).

You didn't mention Jock Ewing played by Jim Davis.

You didn't mention Jock Ewing played by Jim Davis.

The last scene with Jim Davis was sad. He was in a limo and was waiting on Ms. Ellie to join him in the limo to go off on a 2nd honeymoon. He was so weak that they dubbed his lines.

That storyline was also odd because the two characters had been headed for divorce on the show but when it was clear Davis was dying, the writers scrapped that storyline and invented a story about them going on an extended 2nd honeymoon to Europe. Jock then supposedly went to South America to drill for oil at the request of the state department (off camera) where he was “killed” in a helicopter crash.

Jim Davis was a great actor. Seen him many times on Gunsmoke and Bonanza. You would think the guy had been a cattle rancher or something growing up, but he was just a great actor. He was perfect for that show.

Democrat-Shot-JR.jpg

Never watched one episode of Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest or Knots Landing.

I use to work with a guy who would invite me to his house to train me on paperwork in our company. We worked in the field and would work from home about half the time.

He was an outdoors guy who liked motorcycles and such. One day when I arrived in the morning, we sat at his table and I noticed he was watching an episode of Dallas. I remembered it a little from when I was a kid. Before I knew it, 3 hours had passed, it was lunchtime, and we had watched 3 spisodes.

His wife told that same day that he had bought someone’s VCR tapes of Dallas and watched them all the time. I thought it was pretty funny but I liked it too.

The last scene with Jim Davis was sad. He was in a limo and was waiting on Ms. Ellie to join him in the limo to go off on a 2nd honeymoon. He was so weak that they dubbed his lines.

That storyline was also odd because the two characters had been headed for divorce on the show but when it was clear Davis was dying, the writers scrapped that storyline and invented a story about them going on an extended 2nd honeymoon to Europe. Jock then supposedly went to South America to drill for oil at the request of the state department (off camera) where he was “killed” in a helicopter crash.

Jim Davis was a great actor. Seen him many times on Gunsmoke and Bonanza. You would think the guy had been a cattle rancher or something growing up, but he was just a great actor. He was perfect for that show.

I am a WWII buff, so my wife has me watching a show called Silent Service filmed in the 1950s. It is basically about US submarine experiences in the South Pacific. The format is to have actors act out the events for about 24 minutes and then have the host, a retired admiral, interview some of the actual crew from the submarine, usually the skipper or his exec. There are some surprisingly big actors in the show before they became stars. Like Stewert Granger, Leonard Nimoy, Jack Lord, Mike Connors, Dennis Weaver, etc. A young Jim Davis is in three episodes, while looking younger he is easy to spot with his distinctive voice.

Reactions: WorldTraveler
That was because of Patric Duffy’s contract dispute. People were mad, but it was a genius move. He shows up in the shower and the entire previous season was just a dream.

I recall that both of his real (not tv) parents were murdered in an armed robbery along the same general timeline he was on that show.
Other than that, everybody on that show was apparently, at the least, a borderline alcoholic. Made no difference what time of day or night it was, they were always pouring themselves a drink. All of them. I don't know how they were able function, much less run an oil company.:)

Last edited:
This ain't Dallas and this ain't Dynasty
This is a real-life two job working family
And I ain't J.R. You ain't Suellen
We're just a man and a woman holding things together

Reactions: jedi_mike

It was longer than 4 months back then. They would run all their new episodes for the season, then run a mid season show, then run reruns until fall. Yeah, I watched as a kid. It was a good one. Dynasty was good as well. The "JR" of Dynasty was a woman.

I recall that both of his real (not tv) parents were murdered in an armed robbery along the same general timeline he was on that show.
Other than that, everybody on that show was apparently, at the least, a borderline alcoholic. Made no difference what time of day or night it was, they were always pouring themselves a drink. All of them. I don't know how they were able function, much less run an oil company.:)
it is funny how people on dramas run multimillion dollar corps and all they do is hang around the house and bitch at each other and drink scotch.

Reactions: FORKCOCK and Brace1
ADVERTISEMENT