Who's the best Gamecock FB player

Poultry King

Sep 15, 2008
you ever saw play in person.

I'm torn over Rogers and JDC.

Sharpe would be close but a bit short.

Stepping outside the box here....

s568872814488652156_p11027_i1_w573.jpeg

A. Not about stats or awards. Otherwise Rogers wins w/o opposition.

B. The question Ian the best YOU SAW PLAY LIVE. Should tell a lot abt the age of posters.
At 49, I was very young seeing Rogers.

how can you argue with a heisman.....big george....however, my favorite rb was harold green

The best I've ever seen, strictly at that moment in time as a college football player? George Rogers
The best I've ever seen, when I consider who he is now and who he will likely become based on physical ability? Jadaveon Clowney
The best I've ever seen, considering what they can do right that moment as Gamecocks and the affect they have on the program? Marcus Lattimore

Everybody has their own opinion. You certainly can't argue with George Rogers. The player I always looked forward to watching, was the QB that hung 56 on the Taters...Jeff Grantz.

Most folks here are too young to remember Grantz, Rogers, or Sharpe. Stat and award wise .... one would have to say Rogers. My vote goes to Grantz, who was also starting SS on some very good Gamecock baseball teams. He could beat you running or passing .... George only running. Jeff was the best pure athlete I've seen at USC (too short for the NFL), although Sidney Rice would be a very close second. If Rice had chosen basketball in college, he'd probably still be playing in the NBA.

Big George! One has to remember that all the opposing defenses had to do against USC was stack the line. Given the circumstances, it amazes me to this day what George Rogers accomplished as a RB.

Reactions: bdblack
George Rogers
Dan Reeves
Clowney

Honorable Mention to Warren Muir who I think was our first ever National First Team All American

Big George hands down. He dominated games. Teams would stack the box on him and he would run over or around them. We had NO passing game. Everyone knew it was George left, George right or George up the middle. He was unstoppable.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Sterling Sharpe. He was a complete animal every time he touched the ball. he was big and fast, as a wide out or in the slot. He transitioned to the pro's without a hitch. He looked every bit as dominant in the pros as he did at Carolina.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

Sharpe was an animal. Played in the pros just like he did at Carolina. Could not be stopped!! Would be a Pro Football Hall of Famer....easily, save the injury.

1) Rogers
2) Sharpe
3) Clowney
4) Grantz
5) Lattimore

Rogers was 6'2" 230 lbs. He would still fare well if he played today, but he played against much smaller players. DL back then weighed around 250 lbs. Lattimore was also 230 lbs, but went against DL that all weighed 300-325 lbs! Had ML played in the Rogers era, he may very well have won a Heisman too!

He certainly

He was one of the best for that time period and one of the best ever at that position.

But, to be fair it's not fair to name one player that was the best you ever saw play. Maybe a better question would be the best player at each position. Because a linebacker obviously isn't going to have the same opportunities as a RB or QB or WR to make big plays game after game. Plus, in my mind, it also depends on the surrounding cast around a player as to how good the player in question really was on the field. For example, if a QB didn't have good receivers and or running backs he is not going to look as good as a QB that had excellent receivers and or running backs.

Most folks here are too young to remember Grantz, Rogers, or Sharpe. Stat and award wise .... one would have to say Rogers. My vote goes to Grantz, who was also starting SS on some very good Gamecock baseball teams. He could beat you running or passing .... George only running. Jeff was the best pure athlete I've seen at USC (too short for the NFL), although Sidney Rice would be a very close second. If Rice had chosen basketball in college, he'd probably still be playing in the NBA.

LOL! It really makes me realize how old I am because I saw Rogers, Grantz and Sharpe play in person.

1) Rogers
2) Sharpe
3) Clowney
4) Grantz
5) Lattimore

Rogers was 6'2" 230 lbs. He would still fare well if he played today, but he played against much smaller players. DL back then weighed around 250 lbs. Lattimore was also 230 lbs, but went against DL that all weighed 300-325 lbs! Had ML played in the Rogers era, he may very well have won a Heisman too!

I LOVE Marcus Lattimore just as much as a person as I do as a player. But, one benefit Lattimore had that Rogers didn't was a good passing game. I believe if Lattimore had stayed healthy his entire career it's possible that he could have won the Heisman. Not sure about that but I think there might have been a chance. Simply because he was an outstanding player as well as an outstanding person off the field and those two combinations may have just put him over the edge.

Reactions: wallycock
bdblackActive Member

Everybody has their own opinion. You certainly can't argue with George Rogers. The player I always looked forward to watching, was the QB that hung 56 on the Taters...Jeff Grantz.

bdblack...You forgot to mention that Grantz was the punter his senior year too. SS on the national runner-up at the CWS (lost to Texas) in 1975. Ran like a Gazelle. I always thought we could win, if he was healthy.

bdblackActive Member

bdblack...You forgot to mention that Grantz was the punter his senior year too. SS on the national runner-up at the CWS (lost to Texas) in 1975. Ran like a Gazelle. I always thought we could win, if he was healthy.

Well, if we had a defense his senior year the Gamecocks would have won more games. We were one of the worst defenses in the nation that year in terms of points allowed per game and/or yards allowed, I can't remember which. I think it was points allowed per game. Again, maybe not the worst defense but certainly one of the worst defenses in the nation that year.

Best Gamecock player I ever saw live --- George Rogers.

But growing up and listening to Carolina on radio, Dickie Harris was best Gamecock player I ever heard about live.

If that makes sense.

Pretty close between George and Clowney. But I had suspicions that the latter was coasting at times so that alone drops him to second.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT