ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the best player we faced ever?

COLUMBIA, S.C., Oct. 3— Dan Marino threw six touchdown passes, a Pittsburgh single-game record, as he led the undefeated Panthers to a 42-28 victory over South Carolina.

Cam Newton comes to mind but we did make many players look great (Mo Williams, Darren McFadden, Matt Jones). That in itself could be another threads, who did we make look like a Heisman. Cam in the SECCG was a man among boys.

Cam certainly, but McFadden made us look like Hammond Academy vs the NE Patriots...

The list is very long but the names that come to mind off the top of my head are Newton, H. Walker and Watson (as much as it pains me to mention his name).

Marino - met some older than me at the time Pitt fans that day as well - good dudes - but yeah Marino is my answer - Emanuel weaver got to him at least once though that day

If memory serves, the last time we played Tebow was at WB, and Percy Harvin did not make the trip because of a sinus infection. It seemed like every play was Tebow running the ball for 6 or 7 yards. Florida never punted the whole game.

Marino - met some older than me at the time Pitt fans that day as well - good dudes - but yeah Marino is my answer - Emanuel weaver got to him at least once though that day
ABC took our game off the air during the beatdown.

Wow, I forgot we were in a bowl game against both Barry Sanders and Dan Marino. May have to modify my list. When I posted my original list I thought Walker was fourth. You guys are making think, which is a good thing,
I didn't realize Barry was on that Ok State team.
Herschel, Barry Sanders, Marino, Manning... Cam and Deshaun gotta ways to go to make the short list
Barry didn't get to OK State until 1986. We played them in the 1984 Gator Bowl. Their starting tailback was freshman Thurman Thomas who wasn't too shabby himself.

Reactions: king ward
I didn't realize Barry was on that Ok State team.

Barry didn't get to OK State until 1986. We played them in the 1984 Gator Bowl. Their starting tailback was freshman Thurman Thomas who wasn't too shabby himself.
Wonderful refutation of revisionist history.;)

And the East Carolina boy who did the same thing to us on a rainy night was named Harley. I forget his first name.
The Moe Williams game was a noon game.

The UT game was Jamal Lewis and he had nowhere near 400 yards of course. Btw, Peyton had such a pedestrian day that game that it might have cost him the Heisman. It was late in the year.

The UGA QB that went off on us was the immortal Grayson Lambert.

Was Mo Williams great or did he just look like it against a Wally Burnham defense? I would suggest the latter. He was little more than a third down back in the pros.

Who is the best player we ever faced or who had the best performance against us? Although not the best player we ever faced, I remember Rex Grossman having a field day against us in the black-out game. Kid had a cannon for an arm and seemed to make every important play that game....

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
If memory serves, the last time we played Tebow was at WB, and Percy Harvin did not make the trip because of a sinus infection. It seemed like every play was Tebow running the ball for 6 or 7 yards. Florida never punted the whole game.

Tebow's last game against us was in WB in 2009. They only beat us 24-14 that year. In fact, we were down 17-14 and driving. Threw a pick that they returned back into our territory and scored.

You're thinking about 2007. They beat us something like 51-21. Tebow had 5 rushing touchdowns

Probably P. Manning.
In Knoxville one year, USC actually held Payton to NO first downs in the first half. The second half was a different story. Phat Phil once said USC's "junk defense" that game was the reason Payton did not win a Heisman. I don't believe that was the reason, but if I won't take it.

INTs against UF may have been the real reason.

Reactions: Tas Burfoot
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT