ADVERTISEMENT

Why are we the "Wait until next year" university?

PabloSC

Oct 12, 2010
The Admin at USC (Board of Trustees included) is NOT serious about football like Clemson and Alabama and Georgia. They just aren't. It's a different mindset that we will never have until we change the Admin and booster culture and hire someone (an AD) that has been there. It helps that we have Muschamp because he has seen what those programs are like, but it doesn't start with the head coach, it ends with him.

There is a reason Clemson's success has come under two coaches that both played at Alabama. Ford and Swinney know what it looks like to win at the major college level and it ain't pretty or for the faint of heart. Danny Ford laid the ground work for what you see now. He put in place the culture of winning at all cost (read it's ok to cheat and it's actually necessary!!!) that came from Bama. That culture starts with the boosters who donate cash money through a network of small business people and that is the underpinnings of recruiting. I lived it and saw it first hand growing up and playing sports in SC. My teammates got cars, etc. when they were in high school and they got handed cash at CU from boosters virtually everyday. The better you were the more you got or had waiting on you in your locker. Boosters were given access to the locker rooms during practice for a reason.

USC does not have the booster culture or the desire to create the win at all costs mentality so it likely will never happen here, it just won't.

There are MANY schools that are like USC and will flirt with success from time to time. What schools come to mind; West Virginia, Ok State, UCLA, Oregon, Virginia Tech, etc., etc. But the schools that top the list of major programs right now have a deep culture of winning whatever the cost. Teams like Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU, Florida State, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Ohio State, etc. We are not there and likely never will be other than an occasional brush.
Unfortunately, CU hired the right guy in Dabo and he has put the band back together from the Ford days and they are rolling now. Perhaps they will get caught, but it isn't likely because the NCAA is a toothless tiger that gets fed by Bama, CU, Georgia, etc, in football just like UNC in basketball. They aren't going to do anything substantial even if someone is caught red-handed. College football is a money making machine 2nd only to the NFL so the major actors are going to be protected if need be.

Give credit to Clemson, they caught lightening in a bottle at the right time, but they had the historical culture in place to do it, and we don't and never will. Perhaps that makes us a better institution because we don't do the things I've seen them do first hand, but it is still hard to watch their success and accolades. Especially knowing it is ill gotten gains that will never be revealed as such. So for us, it is Wait Until Next Year and see if we have a brush with success.

Where's the nearest bridge. The post rings true to what I know deep down within me, and I think I'm about ready to jump. I was watching a replay of the 1987 game versus Miami. Those were the glory days!

The Admin at USC (Board of Trustees included) is NOT serious about football like Clemson and Alabama and Georgia. They just aren't. It's a different mindset that we will never have until we change the Admin and booster culture and hire someone (an AD) that has been there. It helps that we have Muschamp because he has seen what those programs are like, but it doesn't start with the head coach, it ends with him.

There is a reason Clemson's success has come under two coaches that both played at Alabama. Ford and Swinney know what it looks like to win at the major college level and it ain't pretty or for the faint of heart. Danny Ford laid the ground work for what you see now. He put in place the culture of winning at all cost (read it's ok to cheat and it's actually necessary!!!) that came from Bama. That culture starts with the boosters who donate cash money through a network of small business people and that is the underpinnings of recruiting. I lived it and saw it first hand growing up and playing sports in SC. My teammates got cars, etc. when they were in high school and they got handed cash at CU from boosters virtually everyday. The better you were the more you got or had waiting on you in your locker. Boosters were given access to the locker rooms during practice for a reason.

USC does not have the booster culture or the desire to create the win at all costs mentality so it likely will never happen here, it just won't.

There are MANY schools that are like USC and will flirt with success from time to time. What schools come to mind; West Virginia, Ok State, UCLA, Oregon, Virginia Tech, etc., etc. But the schools that top the list of major programs right now have a deep culture of winning whatever the cost. Teams like Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU, Florida State, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Ohio State, etc. We are not there and likely never will be other than an occasional brush.
Unfortunately, CU hired the right guy in Dabo and he has put the band back together from the Ford days and they are rolling now. Perhaps they will get caught, but it isn't likely because the NCAA is a toothless tiger that gets fed by Bama, CU, Georgia, etc, in football just like UNC in basketball. They aren't going to do anything substantial even if someone is caught red-handed. College football is a money making machine 2nd only to the NFL so the major actors are going to be protected if need be.

Give credit to Clemson, they caught lightening in a bottle at the right time, but they had the historical culture in place to do it, and we don't and never will. Perhaps that makes us a better institution because we don't do the things I've seen them do first hand, but it is still hard to watch their success and accolades. Especially knowing it is ill gotten gains that will never be revealed as such. So for us, it is Wait Until Next Year and see if we have a brush with success.

Quick question, how much are you forking over to help the cause?

Where's the nearest bridge. The post rings true to what I know deep down within me, and I think I'm about ready to jump. I was watching a replay of the 1987 game versus Miami. Those were the glory days!

Seems like there are some pretty high ramps on I-77 near you, that should do the trick.

Reactions: atl-cock

We are not like Virginia tech. Since 1995 they have won 10 or more games like 14 times. That AINT us

Reactions: Brace1

gloom-despair-and-agony-on-me.jpg

One thing that drags us down is the constant, hyperbolic, juvenile suggestions that Clemson's gains are ill-gotten, and similar posts that make us look like jerks! IF Dabo was cheating it would have been exposed a LONG time ago! Let's grow up and concentrate on OUR team.

What big time winning teams have is a stellar coaching team with a stellar coaching philosophy
, something we're still looking for and may never find at our current rate of improvement. Champ is a good guy but not even close to being able to take us to the promised land. It's delusional to think otherwise and it just sets us up for huge disappointments when we never seem to reach our expectations, season after season.

I disagree, blaming it on the BOT, etc. is silly. The money is there. The wrong people are making the decisions about coaches and ADs. RT must go. We need a gangbuster consulting firm that could come in, identify the problems, interview everybody in sight, pick the current winners and losers, etc and make recommendations about how to proceed. It's obvious that we're right now clueless about how to go about this process efficiently and in the best interests of the university and its fans.

Nothing short of Dabo being caught with a coed on the back of his Harley (he doesn’t ride) will stop what they have going. It’s the perfect storm right now. We can sign our best classes ever but as long as they are getting THE BEST QB every year and 2-3 of the top ten players in the country we won’t beat them. They develop too well (Ostarine or not).

BUT! I still pull for the Cocks and will continue to wait for our time.

Your an idiot who’s we you pregnant or do you have a rat in your pocket.?

Reactions: carolinamyke

Let me tell you pal I am 77 years old we have always been that way.

Damn near all my life except with a few crazy blips on the big boy radar

Those blips had me excited & confused even over confident, Reality came right back to break my heart but I did love those fleeting moments on the stage

Sorry but this post is off base. You are right about the mentioned schools cheating. Occasionally a tainted football program also is an outstanding academic university as is Ohio State. Clemson has nothing really outstanding but it's football program. If we never made the playoffs we have so much to be proud of Clemson will never have. We can have a great program, all we need is a little more time and I believe Muschamp and his staff are bringing in the players to do so. Dosen't matter if Clemson is ranked a little higher in recruiting, we still can be on an even playing field and when we play them all things being equal, we usually win. You seem to only want a BOT that only cares about a football team, that's fine if you are a Tater but USC 'S BOT are building so much more in Columbia. Don't think for a minute being a top 100 research university in the world won't help with athletics . Some top athletics and parents actually look at such things. I think Dabo Swinney has already reached his high water mark as his competition stiffens. Two potentially big issues for them in the ACC could be UNC and Georgia Tech now that they have hired a twenty first century coach. Their football tradition is much greater than Clemson's. FSU will rise again. Add Carolina and one tough OC team to the list and you have the potential of upsetting the Orange APPLE Cart. Clemson is a small isolated college in the corner of South Carolina nobody has ever heard of outside of this state and never will unless they are football fans. If Dabo is cheating it will catch up with him but even if he is legit, South Carolina has so many resources they don't, just a matter of time before we turn back the tide in our favor so lets not say Carolina will never be able to compete with Swinney, that's laughable. Quit being in awe of Clemson and try and see the big picture and see Clemson for what it really is.

Typical response I have come to expect. Well done Manafold. Thanks for coming out!

Sorry but this post is off base. You are right about the mentioned schools cheating. Occasionally a tainted football program also is an outstanding academic university as is Ohio State. Clemson has nothing really outstanding but it's football program. If we never made the playoffs we have so much to be proud of Clemson will never have. We can have a great program, all we need is a little more time and I believe Muschamp and his staff are bringing in the players to do so. Dosen't matter if Clemson is ranked a little higher in recruiting, we still can be on an even playing field and when we play them all things being equal, we usually win. You seem to only want a BOT that only cares about a football team, that's fine if you are a Tater but USC 'S BOT are building so much more in Columbia. Don't think for a minute being a top 100 research university in the world won't help with athletics . Some top athletics and parents actually look at such things. I think Dabo Swinney has already reached his high water mark as his competition stiffens. Two potentially big issues for them in the ACC could be UNC and Georgia Tech now that they have hired a twenty first century coach. Their football tradition is much greater than Clemson's. FSU will rise again. Add Carolina and one tough OC team to the list and you have the potential of upsetting the Orange APPLE Cart. Clemson is a small isolated college in the corner of South Carolina nobody has ever heard of outside of this state and never will unless they are football fans. If Dabo is cheating it will catch up with him but even if he is legit, South Carolina has so many resources they don't, just a matter of time before we turn back the tide in our favor so lets not say Carolina will never be able to compete with Swinney, that's laughable. Quit being in awe of Clemson and try and see the big picture and see Clemson for what it really is.

Perfect, absolutely perfect! I've finally stopped sending thousands and thousands of dollars and renting busses, airplanes and organizing bowl trips for over 25 years as VP of the Greenville Gamecock Club. Until Ray steps down and goes back to coaching baseball and we hire someone that understands what is required to build a winning program, we will always be WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!
Take a look at all the mens programs!

ABSOLUTELY!!! Along with the open hate and blaming, someone from the past, for current failures & future problems. Sadly, I have experienced it for years and years.

Let me know when you are about to jump from the Gervais Street bridge, and i will call Mr. Knozit to come talk you down.

YCBS! Clemson has nothing but Football?! How about a beautiful campus on a lake in the foothills of the Blue Ridge with the mountains nearby. Excellent academics (Top 20 Public), a rich military tradition, quiet, small town atmosphere experiencing unparalleled growth, close to up and coming Greenville, beautiful women ( Miss Universe, Miss America runner-up ( should have won), higher SAT scores, brand new business school on campus, ICAR, previous governor, two previous senators, highly desirable living costs/ standards of living, low crime, great town and gown relationship, low taxes, great engineering and architecture departments, over the top football program ( 3 Nattys), two soccer Nattys, one golf Natty, great baseball tradition, etc. Owns us in football and baseball and very close in BB. Beautiful on campus stadiums for ALL sports. Clemson's bowl victories are scary great, esp, in comparison. Incredible school spirit and sense of loyalty to the school. Wonderful alumni connections for life.

Loved your 'little higher recruiting ranking'! Look, I pull for both schools and I'm capable of being rational and objective ( Clemson Honors grad and Honor ( fourth in class) USC School of Medicine grad. Wish both schools could be more civil

Last edited:
WTF ????????????????????????????????????? ROTFLOL
Yes Clem went 15 -0 look at that conference and yea Clem has beaten some sec teams but Clem got on a roll building confidence the same scenario that Utah and Boise State done. Did Utah whip Alabama yes and Bosie also beat jawja but why would you put that team Clem in a long conversation knowing they have never run a gauntlet as the gamecocks did in Shaw’s era beating the breaks off jawja and then having to go to LSU and Florida, so I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m not getting that wait until next year crap.

Yes Clem went 15 -0 look at that conference and yea Clem has beaten some sec teams but Clem got on a roll building confidence the same scenario that Utah and Boise State done. Did Utah whip Alabama yes and Bosie also beat jawja but why would you put that team Clem in a long conversation knowing they have never run a gauntlet as the gamecocks did in Shaw’s era beating the breaks off jawja and then having to go to LSU and Florida, so I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m not getting that wait until next year crap.

That's the best explanation for Clemson's success you can come up with? LOL. Try again.

Football, basketball, and baseball matter. With football making up about 90 percent of that equation. Our BOT and administration have dropped the ball for decades. Sorry, women’s basketball, equestrian, bass fishing, and Marco Polo tournaments at sol Blatt don’t move the meter. Hope we win always but...

One thing that drags us down is the constant, hyperbolic, juvenile suggestions that Clemson's gains are ill-gotten, and similar posts that make us look like jerks! IF Dabo was cheating it would have been exposed a LONG time ago! Let's grow up and concentrate on OUR team.

What big time winning teams have is a stellar coaching team with a stellar coaching philosophy
, something we're still looking for and may never find at our current rate of improvement. Champ is a good guy but not even close to being able to take us to the promised land. It's delusional to think otherwise and it just sets us up for huge disappointments when we never seem to reach our expectations, season after season.

I disagree, blaming it on the BOT, etc. is silly. The money is there. The wrong people are making the decisions about coaches and ADs. RT must go. We need a gangbuster consulting firm that could come in, identify the problems, interview everybody in sight, pick the current winners and losers, etc and make recommendations about how to proceed. It's obvious that we're right now clueless about how to go about this process efficiently and in the best interests of the university and its fans.

Yawn!

ADVERTISEMENT