ADVERTISEMENT

Why better prospects in GA?

cockyjohn

Jan 6, 2004
I just looked up state populations. SC has a bit over 5M residents. GA has just under 10M. So, GA is slightly under twice our population.

However, with 2018 recruits, GA had 44 four and five star prospects whereas as SC only had 6. That’s more than SEVEN times as many for a state only TWICE as populas. This makes NO sense to me. I live in GA now and their passion for HS football seems no better than in SC.

Can someone explain this phenomenon? (It seems to be every year, not just 2018.)

I really believe most of SC’s players are either underrated or do not have the grades.

Ellis Johnson said on a podcast recently that they would have to go into NC to get kids that could qualify because a lot couldn’t qualify in SC.

What makes it worse is that if you excluded the Atlanta area and it’s 5 stars the population difference would not be so different. Then, their number of high star high school athletes overwhelms SC. It’s hard to believe that Georgia puts more emphasis on high school football than we do. It can’t be that alone. I sure wish I knew what it is though.

Some players from Florida transfer to Georgia to play at the better schools. Also you have big regions in South Carolina that doesn’t care about football and the state suffers for it. For example (Greenville County) the largest school district in the state,’ has plenty of kids walking the halls that could be 4* and 5* prospects but they won’t play football; because of bad coaching and losing. I heard it’s like that in the Columbia area also., I could be wrong on that, but it’s definitely like that in Greenville and it’s sad! Hardly anyone makes it to a D1 program from Greenville, and we have 14 public high schools and a population close to half a million.

Reactions: cockyjohn
Some players from Florida transfer to Georgia to play at the better schools. Also you have big regions in South Carolina that doesn’t care about football and the state suffers for it. For example (Greenville County) the largest school district in the state,’ has plenty of kids walking the halls that could be 4* and 5* prospects but they won’t play football; because of bad coaching and losing. I heard it’s like that in the Columbia area also., I could be wrong on that, but it’s definitely like that in Greenville and it’s sad! Hardly anyone makes it to a D1 program from Greenville, and we have 14 public high schools and a population close to half a million.
Agree. The best football program in Greenville County by a good bit is little ole Greer High School who plays on a lower level. They dominate other Gvl HS programs regardless of size. Greer doesn't get a lot of attention from colleges.

1. Georgia players are overrated by the recruiting gurus and SCs are underrated. Compare: SC and GA produce about the same number of NFL players per capita - the true 4/5 stars

2. Many SC players are lower rated because they are bound for JUCO or lower level colleges where grades don't matter as much. Negative SC

3. Ga high schools work to keep good athletes in school PLUS they work hard to get them recruited. Their high schools, like Stephenson, have assistant coaches assigned to coordinate recruiting of their players. Positive GA.

As someone pointed out, Greenville County really does not care for high school football.

NC has more ranked players every year too but SC spanks that ass regularly in the Shrine bowl. More than the amount you would expect anyways.

SC is rural and doesn’t have a big media presence. I’m sure several SC kids don’t attend camps like kids in Atlanta do.

Reactions: GamecockJL
NC has more ranked players every year too but SC spanks that ass regularly in the Shrine bowl. More than the amount you would expect anyways.

SC is rural and doesn’t have a big media presence. I’m sure several SC kids don’t attend camps like kids in Atlanta do.
N.C. has recently turned that Shrine Bowl thing around.

I just looked up state populations. SC has a bit over 5M residents. GA has just under 10M. So, GA is slightly under twice our population.

However, with 2018 recruits, GA had 44 four and five star prospects whereas as SC only had 6. That’s more than SEVEN times as many for a state only TWICE as populas. This makes NO sense to me. I live in GA now and their passion for HS football seems no better than in SC.

Can someone explain this phenomenon? (It seems to be every year, not just 2018.)
2018 was a bumper crop in GA. Low to mid 30s is closer to the normal.

Doesnt hurt tha Valdosta is the nations winningest school. Mckissick is the winningest coach all time at every level, but valdosta has more titles and wins and they appear to back to theyre winning ways

Three of the seven 5 stars in UGA’s 2018 recruiting class were from out-of-state. 1 each from NC, Fl, TN.

How many high schools are there in SC?
I tried to find the number online but couldn't.

Georgia High School has 159 counties, 181 school districts and 464 schools competing in GHSA. Not sure how many of them play football, but I bet most do.

https://www.ghsa.net/2018-2019-region-alignments.

That's got play in it somehow. This is a big state.

That said, I've watched a good bit of HS football living down here the last 30 years, and I've seen games up in SC and on TV too. I can tell you there isn't a big different in quality of play. Good programs are good wherever they are.

There might just be more of them here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT