ADVERTISEMENT

Why can’t most women dunk the basketball?

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
If Spud Webb at 5’ 7” or Muggsy Bogues at 5’ 3” could dunk, why not women over 6 feet tall? Is it mostly a strength to weight issue or is there some lack of training or desire?

The reason I mentioned desire is that even some tall men don’t dunk because they dominate at their height and don’t put much effort into training. JMHO. YMMV.

If Spud Webb at 5’ 7” or Muggsy Bogues at 5’ 3” could dunk, why not women over 6 feet tall? Is it mostly a strength to weight issue or is there some lack of training or desire?

The reason I mentioned desire is that even some tall men don’t dunk because they dominate at their height and don’t put much effort into training. JMHO. YMMV.
I'll ask my 5'3" runner friend why she can't dunk and get back to you (if Muggsy Bogues can do it...).

Reactions: GamecockJL
Uh duh! Most men can't dunk! I know guys 6'3" that can't dunk! But I imagine that doesn't concern you!

I’d hate for paying fans to see crowd pleasing athleticism Laughing

Why? I enjoy both. But I enjoy the women's game largely because to me it still seems a game built more around fundamentals and teamwork. I suspect more would dunk if it struck them as something they found worth striving toward. Maybe in the future they will.

And, come to think of it -- how many Mugsy Bogues and Spud Webbs are there out there dunking.

Did Mugsy dunk? I can't remember. He probably could tho.

I know I can dunk in my dreams.

Last edited:
Because they are too busy head faking to then hit the bottom of the rim with a layup. Yea, they can shoot sometimes, but I have yet to feel that I could watch about the same level of ball down at the Monday night men's league. Just like anything else, if it wins, the school colors will come out and act like it's the greatest thing ever. Personally, I just can't watch it. Grass growing is more exciting

Uh duh! Most men can't dunk! I know guys 6'3" that can't dunk! But I imagine that doesn't concern you!

Ouch! I'm 6'3" and can't dunk. Well, at least I can't dunk nowadays. But man I could throw it down 25 years ago. Getting old sucks. I'll add dunking to the very long list of things I used to be able to do!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

believe its a direct relationship on bein' mislead their whole life on measurements

Reactions: usc1wme
6'3" and back when I played I could alllllmost dunk but never did.
Closest I ever got was in a game. I got an easy steal about half court and had no one in front of me....had I not lost the grip on the ball going up I think the adrenaline might have got me there but alas I didnt even score and my coach was reallllllly happy about it let me tell you.

Ouch! I'm 6'3" and can't dunk. Well, at least I can't dunk nowadays. But man I could throw it down 25 years ago. Getting old sucks. I'll add dunking to the very long list of things I used to be able to do!
Same. 6'0" and could dunk about 35 years ago. Now, can't touch the rim.

I'm 6'2' in high school I could only dunk a Volleyball. Never could throw a basketball down always hit the back of the rim.

at a mighty 6' 1" my freshman year at USC I could dunk a tennis ball. That's the last time the rim got in the way
and that explains the main reason women cant dunk....palming the ball is pretty important in dunking unless you are well above the rim, even then it helps a lot...therefore, smaller hands is the biggest culprit

The average woman in America is 5'4. The average man is 5"10 and dunking is still extremely rare. I'm average and could barely touch the rim.

And Muggsy claimed to have dunked but apparently he was really, really bashful because he's the only one that saw it.

I’d hate for paying fans to see crowd pleasing athleticism Laughing
The dunk is the most over rated play in sports. Bill Walton never dunked in a college game but still holds the all-time shooting % in an NCAA tournament game (21 of 22, I believe). What are more memorable are missed dunks, a la Larry Davis in 1997 vs. Kentucky. I don't remember a single one of his dunks, but sure remember that miss.

The dunk is the most over rated play in sports. Bill Walton never dunked in a college game but still holds the all-time shooting % in an NCAA tournament game (21 of 22, I believe). What are more memorable are missed dunks, a la Larry Davis in 1997 vs. Kentucky. I don't remember a single one of his dunks, but sure remember that miss.
Yeah. Dunking takes skill and practice too. I don’t think it’s terribly important to wins game because a layup gets you the same result but we watch sports for entertainment and it’s entertaining.

Spud Webb could dunk, Mugsy couldn't.

Y'all damn near crazy. Best all time dunker was a guy named Tyrone Shoelace. He was only 4ft 7 and could stuff it with his toes, make a hook shot with his eyebrow....all because he had a basketball jones....just wanted to set the record straight.

Reactions: atl-cock
Another anatomical difference is that women are top heavy. Makes jumping more difficult but also more fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT