ADVERTISEMENT

Why can’t most women dunk the basketball?

The dunk is the most over rated play in sports. Bill Walton never dunked in a college game but still holds the all-time shooting % in an NCAA tournament game (21 of 22, I believe). What are more memorable are missed dunks, a la Larry Davis in 1997 vs. Kentucky. I don't remember a single one of his dunks, but sure remember that miss.
Wasn't the dunk illegal during Walton's playing days?

Another anatomical difference is that women are top heavy. Makes jumping more difficult but also more fun to watch.
giphy.gif

Reactions: JGH 35 and Gaimcock
If Spud Webb at 5’ 7” or Muggsy Bogues at 5’ 3” could dunk, why not women over 6 feet tall? Is it mostly a strength to weight issue or is there some lack of training or desire?

The reason I mentioned desire is that even some tall men don’t dunk because they dominate at their height and don’t put much effort into training. JMHO. YMMV.

Mugsy couldn't dunk. Spudd obviously could, but the legend of Mugsy being able to dunk is just a legend

Another anatomical difference is that women are top heavy. Makes jumping more difficult but also more fun to watch.
I can think of better things to do with top besides spectator sports.

You may want to ask Ben Wright. Never heard of him? Google old Ben. As a professional broadcaster he gave his honest opinion about a similar issue, and that’s why he hasn’t been heard from since.

Why can't most men dunk? I'm assuming the OP is a 5'3" man who can dunk.
I can dunk. Sometimes. LOL!!!! And ONLY with one these thingies!!...

MT-Trampoline-6.jpg

I'm 51.5 years of age and weight 165 lbs!! I would be amazed if I actually succeeded in 1 outta 10 though!! The landing pain would be rough for a few weeks afterwards NO Doubt!!!

and that explains the main reason women cant dunk....palming the ball is pretty important in dunking unless you are well above the rim, even then it helps a lot...therefore, smaller hands is the biggest culprit
Bingo! Just heard this during women's All-Star game, commentator said a lot of WNBA ladies can get high enough but they can't palm the ball to be able to maintain control to dunk the ball.

Reactions: 01fatboy
Thanks - good point.

I think the WNBA uses a slightly smaller ball than the "regular" size. What about the NCAA?

Yes, the NCAA does, also. Amihere can palm the ball. A'ja never dunked while a USC player, but maybe Amihere will. Either way, we're about to enter the best stretch for a sport in USC history - even better than the last 4 with A'ja.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Ouch! I'm 6'3" and can't dunk. Well, at least I can't dunk nowadays. But man I could throw it down 25 years ago. Getting old sucks. I'll add dunking to the very long list of things I used to be able to do!

Getting old does indeed suck.

Reactions: uscdoug
Yes, the NCAA does, also. Amihere can palm the ball. A'ja never dunked while a USC player, but maybe Amihere will. Either way, we're about to enter the best stretch for a sport in USC history - even better than the last 4 with A'ja.

Boy, I want to see me some of that!

Wasn't the dunk illegal during Walton's playing days?

Dunking was illegal during Lou Alcindas (sp) days at UCLA. I remember when he went to the pros some of the basketball pundits said the fact dunking was illegal during his playing days at UCLA may have been the thing that could have happened to Lou. Because it forced him to develop a great outside shoot.

BTW I meant to say why can’t more women dunk instead of most.

One of my best friends in high school and college could jump to the moon. He was lanky without a lot of muscular development, but he grew from 5'10" to around 6'1" after we went to college. He could put his arm over the rim almost to his elbow. But he had trouble dunking? Why? Hand size. He had trouble holding on to the ball to finish the dunk. He could easily dunk a women's ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT