ADVERTISEMENT

Why did we go beach volleyball instead of gymnastics?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
We clearly were going to add a female sports team and both seem to have the same amount of athletes per team. I know the beginning expense would have been more for gymnsastics but after seeing some of it on SEC Network with my daughter (who takes and likes gymnastics) I wonder why we chose what we did. The gymnastics meets seem very, very well attended and there are alot of SEC teams to compete against. Beach volleyball has us traveling all over the place for competition because there is not much. Just wondering if anyone knows why volleyball and not gymnastics.

I would imagine that beach volleyball is much cheaper. I think there are fewer team members, but I know that the equipment is much cheaper for volleyball (a net, some sand and a ball). Though some schools like Bama and Georgia certainly get a lot of fans that might offset that expense.

Probably the cost, equipment, and facility size and requirements needed for gymnastics. Plus, we also have a D1 equestrian program while some of the gymnastics schools do not.

Originally posted by AgnosticTrollCock:
Probably the cost, equipment, and facility size and requirements needed for gymnastics. Plus, we also have a D1 equestrian program while some of the gymnastics schools do not.
Winner!

Heard RT speak recently and said they want to add gymnastics but to do so will require two new facilities. A practice facility and a competition facility that would need to good enough to house SEC and NCAA championship meets.

I don't know about the status of the sport in high schools in SC,NC,TN or any other neighboring states. If it is not a well established sport at this level in our footprint it would a major up hill battle to ever compete with the likes of FL,AL or GA.

I'm not saying we would never do but it would be hard. Starting as a club sport may be the way to go, if we want to add it.
I personally think it would be great to have it.

Originally posted by Percy57:
I don't know about the status of the sport in high schools in SC,NC,TN or any other neighboring states. If it is not a well established sport at this level in our footprint it would a major up hill battle to ever compete with the likes of FL,AL or GA.

I'm not saying we would never do but it would be hard. Starting as a club sport may be the way to go, if we want to add it.
I personally think it would be great to have it.
Gymnastics is not usually a high school sport. My daughter is a gymnast and most gymnasts compete through a private gym. FL, TX and Cal probably are the top gymnastics states in the country. However, these girls train upwards of 20hrs per week in their respective gyms and then compete at state, regional and national levels. There are quiet a few girls in SC who make it to their respective regional and then the national meets. This is where they get noticed by college coaches. My daughter who is hoping for a schollie in gymnastics for college is eyeing UGA because USC does not have gymnastics. One of her former gym mates got a full ride to Arizona St and was offered by Michigan, Arkansas and a few other D-1 schools. The SEC is probably the strongest conference for gymnastics followed by PAC 10.
This post was edited on 3/31 2:14 PM by Trapman71

Originally posted by winloseortie:

Originally posted by AgnosticTrollCock:
Winner!

Heard RT speak recently and said they want to add gymnastics but to do so will require two new facilities. A practice facility and a competition facility that would need to good enough to house SEC and NCAA championship meets.
Where did he say this? Just curious because I thought it was a dead issue (getting a Gymnastics team at USC). I would love USC to get a Gymnastics team.

maybe thinking a solid sand volley program will give our regular volleyball program a boost?

Good info Trapman71. I have a good friend whose niece is in one of the type programs you described. I have gone to several meets with him and these young women are exceptional athletes. Sounds like if Carolina wanted to start a team we would have a pretty good talent pool available.

I would have preferred a gymnastics team. That sport is just more classy than Beach Volleyball.

Any questions:

$%28KGrHqRHJDQE7ysscnWLBPFDZhkI%21Q%7E%7E60_35.JPG

This post was edited on 3/31 7:10 PM by sclawman77

I'm just Guesing a) cost of the programs b) who are we going to get to match the level of Georgia,Bama,LSU,Florida , Auburn all top 10 teams and Arkansas a top 25 team c) Why not go outside the box start a new tradition :).

Originally posted by stevestrat2:
I'm good either way...

ec
You do realize that is Nastia Liukin when she was about 16yrs old. Thanks for removing.
This post was edited on 4/1 9:25 AM by Trapman71

Originally posted by Cybercock:
Inappropriate? how so? I don't see inappropriate.
If we had a men's sand volleyball team, would they have to wear such attire?

Nonetheless, sand volleyball strikes me as a bogus sport; we already have a women's volleyball team.

ADVERTISEMENT