ADVERTISEMENT

Why do the Lady G's share the regular season title with TN?

Cocky One

Nov 5, 2001
Lake Marion
We had one loss in conference play to KY......and UT lost twice to us. Makes no sense. Please explain. Thanks.

This post was edited on 3/8 5:58 PM by Cocky One

Tourney games don't count towards regular season and no head to head tie breaker for regular season. But we know who the REAL Champs are.

Both finished with a 15-1 record. UT beat Kentucky twice and we were 1-1 against them. Had we beaten the mildcats at the end of the year we would have won the title outright but they had some home cooking in Lexington.

So, head-to-head matchups don't count in determining the regular season winner....only the overall record? I don't like that. But thanks for the answer.

It's better than last year, when we were outright regular season champs and didn't even make the tourney final. I don't care what anyone says. The wins in tourney's are more special because teams bring a little extra and they are getting ready for a final push in the NCAA tournament.

Re: Why does WBB share the regular season title with TN?

Originally posted by Cocky One:
We had one loss in conference play to KY......and UT lost twice to us. Makes no sense. Please explain. Thanks.

This post was edited on 3/8 5:58 PM by Cocky One
UT lost once (not twice) to us during the regular season.

USC & UT ended the season with identical conference records, hence, a shared regular season championship.

We were the number one seed for the tournament, as the first tiebreaker for seeding is head-to-head matchups, and we beat them in our only regular season contest.

Re: Why does WBB share the regular season title with TN?

You're right, we only played UT once in regular season. I thought twice. Makes more sense.

But we proved our LADY G's ARE THE BEST!!!! Very proud of them.

Thanks ATLCOCK.
This post was edited on 3/8 6:20 PM by Cocky One

Makes no sense that there is no tie breaker to determine a champion. Doesn't the SEC recognize the regular season record as the conference champion or do we now just label the regular season and tourney as 2 separate championships?

Originally posted by wallycock:
Makes no sense that there is no tie breaker to determine a champion. Doesn't the SEC recognize the regular season record as the conference champion or do we now just label the regular season and tourney as 2 separate championships?
I think the latter is correct.

Yours is a reasonable question which would be good for the SEC Office to explain "why?"

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:
It's better than last year, when we were outright regular season champs and didn't even make the tourney final. I don't care what anyone says. The wins in tourney's are more special because teams bring a little extra and they are getting ready for a final push in the NCAA tournament.
finally i agree with you once rooster...lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT