ADVERTISEMENT

Why is everyone harping on Jake after this game?

funktavious

Mar 20, 2002
Jake has had a rough season and deserves some criticism but not for yesterday's performance. He had a shaky start throwing an interception in the endzone but after that he played with more heart and determination than I've seen him play with since he has been here at USC. He was the only bright spot on our offense. He can't go out there and catch the passes he throws. I saw a kid making great throws that somehow slipped right through the receivers' hands. Twice in the first half he threw long passes that would have put us in scoring position and our receivers just dropped the balls. He threw passes that would have moved the chains but slipped through the bread basket like the basket had no bottom. The 2 drives in the 3rd quarter showed pure determination. I saw a QB with a bum ankle hurdling himself through the air to get a first down, scrambling and making difficult throws, willing his team back into the game. I was in awe when we tied the game at 16. It was a brand new game. We struggled to stop A&M from moving the ball in the 2nd half but we still managed to hold them to a FG. We got the ball back, picked up one 1st down and then Jake throws a pass that would have gone for another, only to have it once again slip through a receiver's hands. No, I won't blame Jake for that loss. If I was a coach, I would have my receivers in practice catching passes until their hands had blisters. I would have every single QB throwing to them for the entirety of practice. When one unit is practicing, and certain receivers weren't participating, they would be on the sidelines catching passes. There is no excuse for the number of drops we have had this year. I feel robbed after yesterday's game and it was due to the seeming ineptitude of our receivers to catch the damn football!

He is average at best and the coaches are protecting him from running for a first down at the expense of sustaining drives for possible points. There is nepotism in the ranks which is keeping our football program from testing the waters during a game...bottom line is, no risk, no reward. Jake doesnt throw a consistent accurate ball and takes unnecessary risks when pressured. I wish him the best but the Bentley experiment is costing us valuable points with no end in sight.

Last edited:
Jake helped us get back in the game but in the end, and as good as they played in the 1st quarter, our defense just couldn't get stops in the 2nd half. For the game we gave up almost 500 yards of offense and over 350 passing yards. The biggest difference I've seen between this season and last season is turnovers. Last season we created a lot of turnovers. It just hasn't happened this year. We haven't taken care of the football on offense and on defense we haven't gotten many takeaways.

He is average at best and the coaches are protecting him from running for a first down at the expense of sustaining drives for possible points. There is nepotism in the ranks which is keeping our football program from testing the waters during a game...bottom line is, no risk, no reward. Jake doesnt throw a consistent accurate ball and take unnecessary risks when pressured. I wish him the best but the Bentley experiment is costing us valuable points with no end in sight.
At the moment we don't have a more viable option at QB. I like Mike and he played well against Missouri but their defense is not that good. I really don't think he could have done any better against a much better defense that Texas A&M has. For this season, Jake is the best option we have at QB.

Reactions: JOEFANATIC
At the moment we don't have a more viable option at QB. I like Mike and he played well against Missouri but their defense is not that good. I really don't think he could have done any better against a much better defense that Texas A&M has. For this season, Jake is the best option we have at QB.
He should have at least been given an opportunity to prove himself...that's what griped me the most besides the dropped balls by the receivers.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of ----------.

That was a good final drive but the point is we should have never even needed it. Dropping balls and under throwing corner fades from the 5 yd line is what cost us the game like under thrown wide open receivers against Kentucky and dropping balls lost that game, we should have won both games. There is still a lot of ball to play hope we can finish strong.

He should have at least been given an opportunity to prove himself...that's what griped me the most besides the dropped balls by the receivers.
Does it matter who throws the passes if the receivers aren't catching them? Those drops weren't on bad passes. Those passes were placed as well as any QB could have put them. The receivers just dropped them. That is not a QB issue. It is a WR issue.

Just like Bama, Clemp replaced their #1 QB of the #2 team in the country with a true frosh, and their former #1 would start at SC. Dabo wants to win. You wanna know why he recruits so well? It’s because great players know they will have a shot. I still think he’s a moron, but he’s figured out CFB. Our guy likes to hear himself talk and loves using football lingo to show off. But, I can confidently say after 7 years he’s a lousy game prep and game day coach. I’m way over him already. As I’ve said before, my allegiance is to our school. Not our bumbling HC and hillbilly AD.

Reactions: notstealthy
That was a good final drive but the point is we should have never even needed it. Dropping balls and under throwing corner fades from the 5 yd line is what cost us the game like under thrown wide open receivers against Kentucky and dropping balls lost that game, we should have won both games. There is still a lot of ball to play hope we can finish strong.
We wouldn't have needed it if the receivers had caught those passes in the first half. We probably lost 14 points on the 2 long balls that were dropped and at that moment, the score was still 0-0

Just like Bama, Clemp replaced their #1 QB of the #2 team in the country with a true frosh, and their former #1 would start at SC. Dabo wants to win. You wanna know why he recruits so well? It’s because great players know they will have a shot. I still think he’s a moron, but he’s figured out CFB. Our guy likes to hear himself talk and loves using football lingo to show off. But, I can confidently say after 7 years he’s a lousy game prep and game day coach. I’m way over him already. As I’ve said before, my allegiance is to our school. Not our bumbling HC and hillbilly AD.
Well lets go get our 5 star #1 QB recruit in the nation off the sideline and put him in. Smh

Reactions: rogue cock
I think Scarneccia deserved the start. I think Bentley's inconsistency and inaccuracy contributes to the WR drops because the offense never gets into a rhythm and the receivers start thinking too much and trying too hard and esp. trying to run before they catch it. The catch needs to be instinctive. There were far fewer drops with Scarneccia against Missouri. I think sticking with Bentley stubbornly risks Muschamp's job and reeks of favoritism which is bad for recruiting and team morale. The majority of fans wanted Scarneccia and my bet is the majority of the boosters did too. So going against them is great if you win but if you lose it magnifies the decision in opposition to the fans and boosters. Muschamp put himself on the hot seat this past Saturday where if he had just started Scarneccia he wins either way. Scarneccia could not possibly have done worse than Bentley in the first half. If Scarneccia wins the game (like he did the week before) Muschamp looks like he knows when to make the change to a starter. If Scarneccia starts and does poorly, Muschamp pulls him for Bentley and win or lose he looks like he is flexible and doing everything he can to win.

Jake has had a rough season and deserves some criticism but not for yesterday's performance. He had a shaky start throwing an interception in the endzone but after that he played with more heart and determination than I've seen him play with since he has been here at USC. He was the only bright spot on our offense. He can't go out there and catch the passes he throws. I saw a kid making great throws that somehow slipped right through the receivers' hands. Twice in the first half he threw long passes that would have put us in scoring position and our receivers just dropped the balls. He threw passes that would have moved the chains but slipped through the bread basket like the basket had no bottom. The 2 drives in the 3rd quarter showed pure determination. I saw a QB with a bum ankle hurdling himself through the air to get a first down, scrambling and making difficult throws, willing his team back into the game. I was in awe when we tied the game at 16. It was a brand new game. We struggled to stop A&M from moving the ball in the 2nd half but we still managed to hold them to a FG. We got the ball back, picked up one 1st down and then Jake throws a pass that would have gone for another, only to have it once again slip through a receiver's hands. No, I won't blame Jake for that loss. If I was a coach, I would have my receivers in practice catching passes until their hands had blisters. I would have every single QB throwing to them for the entirety of practice. When one unit is practicing, and certain receivers weren't participating, they would be on the sidelines catching passes. There is no excuse for the number of drops we have had this year. I feel robbed after yesterday's game and it was due to the seeming ineptitude of our receivers to catch the damn football!

Scarnecchia would have thrown for more than 40 yds in the first half. Probably wouldn’t have thrown the pick at goal line either but we will never know because we have a head coach that has never had an offense

Does it matter who throws the passes if the receivers aren't catching them? Those drops weren't on bad passes. Those passes were placed as well as any QB could have put them. The receivers just dropped them. That is not a QB issue. It is a WR issue.
My main point is SCAR should have been given a chance to prove all the Bentley lovers wrong and he won't see another snap unless there is an injury or big lead in 4th quarter. We can't afford to continue the Bentley trend of playing from behind 'cause he is an average QB, wont be risked by staff to run for a 1st down, and is under an OC who will not stick with a RB that is hot at the time.

Reactions: Aoq
We wouldn't have needed it if the receivers had caught those passes in the first half. We probably lost 14 points on the 2 long balls that were dropped and at that moment, the score was still 0-0
We also wouldn't have needed it if Jake doesn't throw the INT in the endzone.
See how easy it is to play this game.

The people calling for a 5th year SENIOR, to be the starting QB at SC, might as well let it go... it aint happening, nor should it....
....Barring an injury Bentley will be the 1st string QB for the rest of the year.
...Muschamp isnt benching a Junior starter for 2 years for a senior QB who made his first career start last week.
There is a bigger picture... the future, Bentley will be the starting QB in 2019... and benching him for a few games this season for a senior 5th year QB... that would be crazy

I think Scarneccia deserved the start. I think Bentley's inconsistency and inaccuracy contributes to the WR drops because the offense never gets into a rhythm and the receivers start thinking too much and trying too hard and esp. trying to run before they catch it. The catch needs to be instinctive. There were far fewer drops with Scarneccia against Missouri. I think sticking with Bentley stubbornly risks Muschamp's job and reeks of favoritism which is bad for recruiting and team morale. The majority of fans wanted Scarneccia and my bet is the majority of the boosters did too. So going against them is great if you win but if you lose it magnifies the decision in opposition to the fans and boosters. Muschamp put himself on the hot seat this past Saturday where if he had just started Scarneccia he wins either way. Scarneccia could not possibly have done worse than Bentley in the first half. If Scarneccia wins the game (like he did the week before) Muschamp looks like he knows when to make the change to a starter. If Scarneccia starts and does poorly, Muschamp pulls him for Bentley and win or lose he looks like he is flexible and doing everything he can to win.

EVERYONE and I mean all but 1 person I know who is a Gamecock said this EXACT same thing. I was in shock literally they didnt let him have a single snap. Very poor decision on Muschamp esp after lying about it in the press conference earlier in the week. Daddys boy is going to play end of story. He has no pressure to perform better because they dont apply it. There is a small group on staff that seem ok with .500 football and "fighting back"

The people calling for a 5th year SENIOR, to be the starting QB at SC, might as well let it go... it aint happening, nor should it....
....Barring an injury Bentley will be the 1st string QB for the rest of the year.
...Muschamp isnt benching a Junior starter for 2 years for a senior QB who made his first career start last week.
There is a bigger picture... the future, Bentley will be the starting QB in 2019... and benching him for a few games this season for a senior 5th year QB... that would be crazy

Crazy is when your 5th year SENIOR QB starts and wins (what will be) the best win of the entire 2018 season and the coaching staff responds by not letting him see the field again and losing with the other QB because "its crazy to play the other QB" Total nonsense.
Who are we going to beat the rest of this season with Bentley that will be better than Missouri? Sure as hell isnt Kentucky or TAMU.What Muschamp pulled Saturday is crazy he looks like an idiot.

Reactions: trekcock
Crazy is when your 5th year SENIOR QB starts and wins (what will be) the best win of the entire 2018 season and the coaching staff responds by not letting him see the field again and losing with the other QB because "its crazy to play the other QB" Total nonsense.
Who are we going to beat the rest of this season with Bentley that will be better than Missouri? Sure as hell isnt Kentucky or TAMU.What Muschamp pulled Saturday is crazy he looks like an idiot.

So you want to bench the player who was the starter last year, the starter this year and will be the starter next year for a guy who is a 5th year senior and started one game in his 5 years at SC and who will leave the program in 6 weeks..gotcha

Last edited:
Reactions: funktavious

I agree with this. Though, I do like Jake lowering his shoulder for a first down on Saturday. No need for him to slide short of the 1st down marker in order to "protect" himself. We have a competent backup.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33

We are not winning anything with Bentley. He doesn’t pass the eye test. Looks very uncomfortable in the pocket and his foot work is terrible. Not that I’m an expert but he makes playing the position look very hard if that makes sense. Watch him run an RPO and it looks very unnatural for him. He makes it look like a busted play even when they score on it. He has not progressed and looks to have peaked in terms of talent. More games and snaps is not going to lead to anymore elevation to his game.

Scar looks much more poised and a lot more accurate with some pocket presence. Throws a much better ball. Nothing against the kid but he is not going pro so why not give a fifth year senior an opportunity to win some games. What do they have to lose? If Bentley is the QB next year, this team is in trouble anyway. If they can’t see this, the entire program is in trouble for years to come.

If Bentley is benched and has to hold a clipboard a little bit, it may be far easier to coach him as it will force him to evaluate what he does poorly and get these tendencies corrected. Keep him getting first team reps and in game prep, he can't work on the things he needs to improve. Scar starting gives him that chance. It also shows the other players that if a starter is not getting it done, he gets benched.

Don't play favs. Build disunity. While we are on the subject, Brian Edwards should be benched for the last performance unless there is an physical issue we are not aware of.

There is no draft picks if we lose like in the NFL. Put the best 11 out there.

We also wouldn't have needed it if Jake doesn't throw the INT in the endzone.
See how easy it is to play this game.
Thank you...I made the same point that took the life right out of the team for the rest of the half. I thought they were calling plays using Coke tops in the huddle or something who under throws that pass? Look, some people are making this about Jake's character etc. it's not it just poor QB play period. This just didn't start against Kentucky it's a pattern that goes all the way back to the Clemson game when he threw the pick 6 inside our 10 yd line. Great kid but the ain't a call for just great kids at QB anymore. JMO

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Thank you...I made the same point that took the life right out of the team for the rest of the half. I thought they were calling plays using Coke tops in the huddle or something who under throws that pass? Look, some people are making this about Jake's character etc. it's not it just poor QB play period. This just didn't start against Kentucky it's a pattern that goes all the way back to the Clemson game when he threw the pick 6 inside our 10 yd line. Great kid but the ain't a call for just great kids at QB anymore. JMO
Two 5 and outs, and then a pick in the endzone. EVERYONE was thinking "here we go again".

can't wait for next year, I get really excited with your post ;)

It’s real easy to believe that Scarnecchia would have thrown for more than 40 freakin yds in the first half also
It's also easy to believe Jake would have had close to 200 yards passing in the 1st half without the drops and could have easily gone for over 400 for the game. I understand a lot of people's frustration with Jake but our WRs share a lot of that blame.

Reactions: rogue cock
It's also easy to believe Jake would have had close to 200 yards passing in the 1st half without the drops and could have easily gone for over 400 for the game. I understand a lot of people's frustration with Jake but our WRs share a lot of that blame.

WR don’t throw picks in the end zone

Unfortunately Bentley hasn’t developed like most would have hoped. Sure, our receivers are dropping balls but they’re also being overthrown by 10 feet. He’s also become a turnover machine throwing pics in the end zone. Truth is I haven’t seen him step up and actually lead this offense. 3 years in and it shouldn’t be a question but unfortunately, it is.

He made some really good throws, and their defense is good. Some people are really simple.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Scarnecchia start because it's a good story, but I'm not convinced we have Brett Favre on our bench or that a great quarterback is the missing piece.
Bet farve would have thrown ten more pics than Jake

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT