ADVERTISEMENT

Why it's time to panic (Gamecock Baseball)

Cocky 45

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2019
Columbia, SC
10 years ago we won our 2nd national championship and in the middle of a historic post season run, and were one of the top programs in America, there wasn't anything that could stop us. Now after years of Holbrook and Kingston baseball, we are mediocre at best, and today's recruits have never seen Gamecock baseball win anything. Even Tennessee has passed us as a program.

Even if we had won today, we are still recruiting and performing in the middle of the pack in the SEC in a sport that is supposed to be our best. Only at Carolina can we screw something great up this badly. What makes the problem worse is the complete and total failure of USC Athletic Department in every sport except WBB, it's not even mediocrity anymore, it's just failure. big time changes are needed or this pathetic display of ineptitude will continue.

10 years ago we won our 2nd national championship and in the middle of a historic post season run, and were one of the top programs in America, there wasn't anything that could stop us. Now after years of Holbrook and Kingston baseball, we are mediocre at best, and today's recruits have never seen Gamecock baseball win anything. Even Tennessee has passed us as a program.

Even if we had won today, we are still recruiting and performing in the middle of the pack in the SEC in a sport that is supposed to be our best. Only at Carolina can we screw something great up this badly. What makes the problem worse is the complete and total failure of USC Athletic Department in every sport except WBB, it's not even mediocrity anymore, it's just failure. big time changes are needed or this pathetic display of ineptitude will continue.
I completely agree. But fans and supporters can't just sit by and blame the administration. We have WAYYYYY too many fans that make excuses for and accept this mediocrity while the AD continues to rake in cash and keep their jobs.

Sadly, the only solution is to close your wallets and stay home. It really is that simple.

People seem to never remember the “ entire” tenure of Ray Tanner as our baseball coach. Seem to only remember the championship years
It took time to build the program. Every year , especially early on wasn’t always dominating baseball.
people need to calm down

People seem to never remember the “ entire” tenure of Ray Tanner as our baseball coach. Seem to only remember the championship years
It took time to build the program. Every year , especially early on wasn’t always dominating baseball.
people need to calm down
NNmAqSt.png

I am setting the over under on how many whiney bitchfest threads will be started by Cocky 45 today at about 37.5- we are already at three.. who wants some of this action?
And, the pot calls the kettle................LOL.............Time for "Thread Watched"

people need to calm down
This. People forget we had fans that wanted to fire Tanner in 08 and it led to him changing to the small ball tactics by hiring Holbrook that won us the titles.

And you weren’t really following the sport if you didn’t see the inevitability of Vandy and Florida taking over the mantle as the best programs in the Conference.

What’s the problem with small ball? Potential is one run per inning (oh, you have to be able to bunt and get the first in the inning on base). Maybe that’s the problem?

Reactions: Cybercock

Mediocrity is overdramatizing the situation. Middle of the pack in the best baseball conference in America is a more accurate description.

We lack timely hitting and swing for the fences too much when a base hit or a sac-fly would suffice.

Last edited:
Reactions: jweaks
You're right, maybe a switch will be flipped and we will become a great hitting team in the next week before the regional, hey it could happen!
Agree, we have a bunch of holes in our lineup, but the regionals that I have followed in the past show depth in a pitching staff will usually trump regional hitting and could possibly get you to a super and IMO we have pitching depth, but who knows we might suck at that in a week too!

It would make sense to at least wait until after the regionals to hit the panic button. SEC baseball is just really good. Let's see how the team does in postseason play. You can't judge the team on Hoover; when has Gamecock baseball ever done anything there?

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
As for me it's not about baseball. It's about the BoT giving the AD job to a nice guy who is a winning baseball coach. No other qualifications. This one event summarizes Carolina's futility in Men's athletics...especially since Ray has taken over.

As for me it's not about baseball. It's about the BoT giving the AD job to a nice guy who is a winning baseball coach. No other qualifications. This one event summarizes Carolina's futility in Men's athletics...especially since Ray has taken over.
Do more research and look around campus, especially the athletic facilities.

South Carolina went from a 8-22 (2019,DNP in 2020) to a 16-14 conference rekord. I think that is improvement. This season, they played series against three of the top teams in each division and a three game series at Texas in which each of those teams have been ranked at one point or another this season in the top 10. I will admit that the offense seems to go in hibernation from time to time and frustrating to watch, but overall having a .500 rekord or better in this conference is a success.

What is determined that a season is acceptable? From what I read on this forum, I would say it would be to beat clemson and make the NCAA Tournament in which South Carolina achieved both. While the goal should be every year to win the SEC regular season title and go to Omaha, but should that be a realistic result each year?

Do more research and look around campus, especially the athletic facilities.
Our facilities are state of the art, doesn't make one crap of difference. We get embarrassed by teams that seat less than half of what Founders Park does. Instead of spending millions on facilities how about spend that money on a coach worth a crap like LSU, Alabama and other winning programs do, and stop settling for mediocrity.

It would make sense to at least wait until after the regionals to hit the panic button. SEC baseball is just really good. Let's see how the team does in postseason play. You can't judge the team on Hoover; when has Gamecock baseball ever done anything there?
While I do hope this team learns how to hit in the next week before regionals, I doubt it will happen. As soon as we face decent pitching we're toast, doesn't matter if we host or not. We're ranked high in SOS, we lost to a lot of good teams, unfortunately there's no banner for that.

Reactions: bflogger28
Agree, we have a bunch of holes in our lineup, but the regionals that I have followed in the past show depth in a pitching staff will usually trump regional hitting and could possibly get you to a super and IMO we have pitching depth, but who knows we might suck at that in a week too!
Look at the teams that went to Omaha, they had multiple future MLB stars, and key role players like Wingo and Price, Nobody on this roster is like that. Gamecock baseball is not heading in the right direction.

Kingston is doing the same thing Holbrook did in recruiting, loading up on JUCO's, it's not a winning strategy. We need a coach to come in and completely overhaul everything top to bottom. Until then, years like this year is our ceiling.

Reactions: bflogger28
South Carolina went from a 8-22 (2019,DNP in 2020) to a 16-14 conference rekord. I think that is improvement. This season, they played series against three of the top teams in each division and a three game series at Texas in which each of those teams have been ranked at one point or another this season in the top 10. I will admit that the offense seems to go in hibernation from time to time and frustrating to watch, but overall having a .500 rekord or better in this conference is a success.

What is determined that a season is acceptable? From what I read on this forum, I would say it would be to beat clemson and make the NCAA Tournament in which South Carolina achieved both. While the goal should be every year to win the SEC regular season title and go to Omaha, but should that be a realistic result each year?
Kingston's first year we went 17-13 in SEC play, and made it to a Super Regional, so far his best season was with Holbrooks players.

Joke post
Joke poster
Look at the teams that went to Omaha, they had multiple future MLB stars, and key role players like Wingo and Price, Nobody on this roster is like that. Gamecock baseball is not heading in the right direction.

Kingston is doing the same thing Holbrook did in recruiting, loading up on JUCO's, it's not a winning strategy. We need a coach to come in and completely overhaul everything top to bottom. Until then, years like this year is our ceiling.
Tanner often "loaded up on JUCOS."

Our facilities are state of the art, doesn't make one crap of difference. We get embarrassed by teams that seat less than half of what Founders Park does. Instead of spending millions on facilities how about spend that money on a coach worth a crap like LSU, Alabama and other winning programs do, and stop settling for mediocrity.
Boy, that LSU coach is tearing it up this year! Oh, and Alabama is not known for winning baseball! Where do you come up with this stuff! I'm beginning to think you need to be more concerned with Monte than the Yardcocks!

I watched a lot of baseball yesterday (2nd round SEC tournament) pretty good teams right? Interesting thing was a lot of smallball was being played. If I didnt know better, I'd say it was making a comeback. Hope someone is taking notes.

A dynasty doesn't last forever. LSU has a better tradition that USC and they won't make the postseason this year. When you lose the greatest coach in the history of your favorite sport, it's rare that you get anyone who is just as good or better. See Florida football and Tennessee women's basketball for instance. Not saying we can't get there again, but you don't get to the championship every year for many reasons: coaching changes, recruits who don't pan out, recruits who decide to go elsewhere, lack of talent in your home state, etc.

Programs will rise and fall in each sport with a few exceptions. When Dawn Staley hangs it up at South Carolina, nobody will quickly repeat what she did.

Baseball team isn't terrible right now... certainly not inept... going 16-14 in the SEC in baseball is actually pretty damn good and more teams are paying attention to baseball now. There are other good coaches out there, too.

While I do hope this team learns how to hit in the next week before regionals, I doubt it will happen. As soon as we face decent pitching we're toast, doesn't matter if we host or not. We're ranked high in SOS, we lost to a lot of good teams, unfortunately there's no banner for that.
I don't expect the team to do much in the regional either. However, there's a reason they play the games. The team could get hot and go on a run. My point is there's no sense analyzing how successful or unsuccessful the season is until the season is over.

Incorrect. RT worked on numerous administrative tasks in the Athletic Departments at NCSU and USC for many years prior to taking over at USC.

If you think that RT is not doing a good job, okay, I will respect your opinion, But to state that he has no experience is flat out wrong.

people need to calm down
Didn't our fans coin the phrase "wait til next year"?

I watched a lot of baseball yesterday (2nd round SEC tournament) pretty good teams right? Interesting thing was a lot of smallball was being played. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was making a comeback. Hope someone is taking notes.
Like the base hit in the bottom of the 9th which won the game for Vandy? Bring it on!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT