ADVERTISEMENT

Why not just play the game

It would be difficult for many USC fans to attend the game due to weather and such short notice, even if the weather were not a factor.

Last edited:
Money. That would require a refund of millions from USC.

They can put any other team out there and the season ticket holders do not get a refund and neither does anyone who got Marshall tickets.

This is why we will play at home and not on the road. There are 10 million reasons why....one for each $

They can put any other team out there and the season ticket holders do not get a refund and neither does anyone who got Marshall tickets.

This is why we will play at home and not on the road. There are 10 million reasons why....one for each $

Yep still have my purchased LSU ticket in my collection here unused.
Glad I didnt buy Marshall early this week

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
That’s a pretty cool story attached to that unused ticket stub.

It was obviously a rare occurrence with the LSU game. It was conference. LSU gave us all the proceeds from the game and donations. Classy gesture by them.

At the same time we now see how sneaky LSU was in gaining another home game. Florida didn’t fall for it that easy. They easily could’ve offered to switch home dates with us, like they ended up having to do with Florida. LSU’s AD came off as a scumbag in that mess with them. You could tell it wasn’t about “helping out” at all. We didn’t even get to that point to figure it all out. Now LSU hasn’t played at Williams-Brice since 2008, and won’t until at least 2026.

Everything else from the band, the fans, etc was classy. But after seeing that mess and trash talk 2 years ago with the Gators...it’s easy to see what the motives were for the guys negotiating. And probably a failure on our guys’ part.

Last edited:

"millions".................u're startin' to sounds like a mix of carl sagan & ben bernanke?

@ Marshall is also very dangerous for this football team. I could definitely see us losing up there in such a distraction-filled week.

They are not that good. Pay attention to the vegas odds makers. After we took a real butt kicking from UGA, Vegas had us as a 13 1/2 favorite against Marshall.

LSU would have killed us no matter where that game was played. Might have even been a benefit playing it there.

My sarcasm was weak in this one. There was absolutely no benefit. We got to wear home jerseys at LSU (like we would anyway since LSU wears white at home) and we got embarrassed. "At home."

My mistake! After I thought about your post and after I made my comment I knew I had misinterpreted your comment. Sorry!

Reactions: paladin181
Lawd hayah muhcy!!! You want the team to leave on Thursday and stay in Virginia until Monday or Tuesday??

At the same time we now see how sneaky LSU was in gaining another home game. Florida didn’t fall for it that easy. They easily could’ve offered to switch home dates with us, like they ended up having to do with Florida. LSU’s AD came off as a scumbag in that mess with them. You could tell it wasn’t about “helping out” at all. We didn’t even get to that point to figure it all out. Now LSU hasn’t played at Williams-Brice since 2008, and won’t until at least 2026.

Everything else from the band, the fans, etc was classy. But after seeing that mess and trash talk 2 years ago with the Gators...it’s easy to see what the motives were for the guys negotiating. And probably a failure on our guys’ part.

We always seem to get out maneuvered or out negotiated in just about every business dealing we encounter.

Reactions: Carolina4
And of course, you know the 82,500 figure isn't operative for this game or any realistic replacement game.

No they won’t sell out but season ticket holders are stuck with the “sell”. You still have your student tickets that are basically financed through them. The other school will sell a few hundred. Even a furman.

You might lose a million in revenue but keep in mind all the income mine didn’t include as well....concessions, parking, seat fees, ticket fees etc.....that won’t have to be reimbursed because there is a “game”

No they won’t sell out but season ticket holders are stuck with the “sell”. You still have your student tickets that are basically financed through them. The other school will sell a few hundred. Even a furman.

You might lose a million in revenue but keep in mind all the income mine didn’t include as well....concessions, parking, seat fees, ticket fees etc.....that won’t have to be reimbursed because there is a “game”
Well, I was only trying to help you arrive at an even smaller figure than either the $10 million someone suggested or the $3.7 million dollar figure you mentioned..

Yeah - just turn a probable win into a probable loss. That`s a great idea.

Well, I was only trying to help you arrive at an even smaller figure than either the $10 million someone suggested or the $3.7 million dollar figure you mentioned..

Considering our football program has a value of $485 million according to Forbes, you’re going to have a hard time backing me off of 3.7 million in income for a football game, even if it is a glorified scrimmage.

Yes I know we get conference money and money from a variety of sources but you can bet a small game can net $4 million for even a weak game.

It’s why you see less marquee matchups. Large D1 schools care about number of home games. We will not hit the road for this bonus game. It won’t be a neutral site game. It’s at home and it’s all about the green

What season ticket holders? It was an unscheduled game. I'm pretty sure it was all box office for that game. I may be wrong, I have definitely been before, but it was technically a USC home game, sand listed as such probably so that season ticket holders who didn't want to go wouldn't be on the hook. The season tickets are already paid for, and adding another home game in the middle of the season isn't going to generate any actual revenue from them.

What season ticket holders? It was an unscheduled game. I'm pretty sure it was all box office for that game. I may be wrong, I have definitely been before, but it was technically a USC home game, sand listed as such probably so that season ticket holders who didn't want to go wouldn't be on the hook. The season tickets are already paid for, and adding another home game in the middle of the season isn't going to generate any actual revenue from them.

Season ticket holders have tickets to 7 games, including Marshall. Now they have tickets to 6 games and a cancelled game.

When the unscheduled game is scheduled, the ticket office will say use your Marshall tickets for entry to this game.

I never said a rescheduled game would add revenue. I am stating that by not scheduling a home game USC would be required to refund money to season ticket holders and therefore lose a large amount of money. You cannot charge for 7 games and then host 6 without some money going back the other way or pissing off the fan base.

Therefore USC will schedule a home game even if it’s against Mary Poppins (if they’re not playing Clemson again then) just to give the season ticket holders that 7th game. It avoids refunds on tickets and even seat fees, as they are calculated based on 7 games.

Season ticket holders have tickets to 7 games, including Marshall. Now they have tickets to 6 games and a cancelled game.

When the unscheduled game is scheduled, the ticket office will say use your Marshall tickets for entry to this game.

I never said a rescheduled game would add revenue. I am stating that by not scheduling a home game USC would be required to refund money to season ticket holders and therefore lose a large amount of money. You cannot charge for 7 games and then host 6 without some money going back the other way or pissing off the fan base.

Therefore USC will schedule a home game even if it’s against Mary Poppins (if they’re not playing Clemson again then) just to give the season ticket holders that 7th game. It avoids refunds on tickets and even seat fees, as they are calculated based on 7 games.
Yeah, I realize I misunderstood. I was still hung up on the LSU game I had been discussing. My bad, Yeah, season ticket holders are out for the game.

No...
Brad Scott lost to Marshall in his last season in 98.
http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/sc/marsh.shtml

Go back and read my post again. You didnt get it. (this season)

20180814194359-30.gif

I'm just surprised they didn't make an effort to move the game either to Thursday or Friday. They knew this thing was going to effect then one way or another. Now we will be scrambling to find a replacement on our bye week.

Yeah, I realize I misunderstood. I was still hung up on the LSU game I had been discussing. My bad, Yeah, season ticket holders are out for the game.

That LSU game was an exception. Not sure what they did for season ticket holders who had tickets to that game (maybe a credit).

Someone could probably say on here.

That LSU game was an exception. Not sure what they did for season ticket holders who had tickets to that game (maybe a credit).

Someone could probably say on here.
I think I remember that they gave options.
Let the GC keep the money
Donate it to relief charity
Get a refund

I called and asked that they refund my money. They screwed that up and donated it to GC. To make it even worse, it didn't show up on my tax refund letter. Too tired/busy to worry about it and just ignored.

I think I remember that they gave options.
Let the GC keep the money
Donate it to relief charity
Get a refund

I called and asked that they refund my money. They screwed that up and donated it to GC. To make it even worse, it didn't show up on my tax refund letter. Too tired/busy to worry about it and just ignored.

This sounds like our ticket office. Gamecock club doesn’t mind keeping the money as a “donation” or “donate” it to SC Red Cross fund and hope it gets there.

Sad they could not get that right.

My sarcasm was weak in this one. There was absolutely no benefit. We got to wear home jerseys at LSU (like we would anyway since LSU wears white at home) and we got embarrassed. "At home."
Sarcasm in red text, please. It's easy to forget, I know from experience.

Reactions: paladin181
ADVERTISEMENT