ADVERTISEMENT

Why should we harbor ill feelings toward Monte Lee

Lee should be coaching the Gamecocks right now. He was the rightful heir. He was a GC assistant. Had built a national contender as a HC from tiny little CofC, but AD Ray Tanner thought otherwise. Perhaps he thought Holbrook would be the sacrificial lamb that replaced the legend, then he could hire Lee to be “The Guy”, but another ex-Gamecock Associate AD trumped that play, and hired Lee away. Having said that, I still like Lee personally, but he coaches the bad guys now, and unfortunately for Lee, his fate is now tied to evil incarnate, and I hope the bad guys lose every game from now through eternity and beyond!

Reactions: rogue cock
Hey Monte Lee lovers ! NC State took the trash out .

maxresdefault.jpg

Lee should be coaching the Gamecocks right now. He was the rightful heir. He was a GC assistant. Had built a national contender as a HC from tiny little CofC, but AD Ray Tanner thought otherwise.

No one even knew who Lee was until Ray had the wisdom to hire him and develop him. It wasn't the time to fire Holbrook. He's a good coach, but I'm happy with the guy we've got now.

Reactions: atl-cock
Lee should be coaching the Gamecocks right now. He was the rightful heir. He was a GC assistant. Had built a national contender as a HC from tiny little CofC, but AD Ray Tanner thought otherwise. Perhaps he thought Holbrook would be the sacrificial lamb that replaced the legend, then he could hire Lee to be “The Guy”, but another ex-Gamecock Associate AD trumped that play, and hired Lee away. Having said that, I still like Lee personally, but he coaches the bad guys now, and unfortunately for Lee, his fate is now tied to evil incarnate, and I hope the bad guys lose every game from now through eternity and beyond!
No, Monte was not. CCH was. At the time CRT retired, EVERYONE in the baseball community knew that CCH would take over, and saw it as the most logical move. Did it work out? No. But NO ONE could have predicted that at time.

Because he coaches at Clemson. I hope he loses every game. Frick him.
I agree. I hate him, Dabo, Brownell and anything Clemson. I especially hate the morons on this board who make us all look like idiots when they misspell Clemson. Don't you know they will post it on Tigernet in 15 minutes?

No, Monte was not. CCH was. At the time CRT retired, EVERYONE in the baseball community knew that CCH would take over, and saw it as the most logical move. Did it work out? No. But NO ONE could have predicted that at time.

Wrong. CCH had never been a head coach. Lee left to be a HC which made him the logical successor. Radakovic recognized this, and was delighted when Tanner passed on Lee. He knew who he wanted to hire. Clemson’s success in sports is not a coincidence. They have a former Gamecock running the AD, and a former Gamecock as the baseball HC. No wonder they are eating our lunch!

Wrong. CCH had never been a head coach. Lee left to be a HC which made him the logical successor. Radakovic recognized this, and was delighted when Tanner passed on Lee. He knew who he wanted to hire. Clemson’s success in sports is not a coincidence. They have a former Gamecock running the AD, and a former Gamecock as the baseball HC. No wonder they are eating our lunch!
No I'm not wrong. Monte was never the "heir" to our program. It did not matter that CCH had not been a head coach at the time. CCH was viewed as the defacto "HCIW" for the position while he was an assistant under CRT. I believe most people's memory of how things actually were in 2012 has been clouded by how things turned out over the past 5 years. Remember CRT was announced as AD on a Friday, and CCH was announced as HC on the following Monday. There was no search because we already had our replacement here, regardless of how you wish to view it now.

Last edited:
That's how Clempson is successful. They hire all our talented coaches and Ad's including "Great Scott".Next thing you know, Dawn Staley will be at Clemtech.

No I'm not wrong. Monte was never the "heir" to our program. It did not matter that CCH had not been a head coach at the time. CCH was viewed as the defacto "HCIW" for the position while he was an assistant under CRT. I believe most people's memory of how things actually were in 2012 has been clouded by how things turned out over the past 5 years. Remember CRT was announced as AD on a Friday, and CCH was announced as HC on the following Monday. There was no search because we already had our replacement here, regardless of how you wish to view it now.
I agree. Whether he should have been the top choice as HC or not, Lee wasn't. The writing was on the wall so-to-speak when Tanner brought Holbrooke in from UNC with his sterling reputation. I agree that he was more than likely brought in with the understanding that when Tanner retired, he would take over....at least that was my feeling at the time. I think many fans would have chosen Lee because of the success he had shown as a HC....or perhaps any one of Tanner's other assistants that had left and shown success as a HC.

No I'm not wrong. Monte was never the "heir" to our program. It did not matter that CCH had not been a head coach at the time. CCH was viewed as the defacto "HCIW" for the position while he was an assistant under CRT. I believe most people's memory of how things actually were viewed in 2012 has been clouded by how things turned out over the past 5 years. Remember CRT was announced as AD on a Friday, and CCH was announced as HC on the following Monday. There was no search because we already had our replacement here, regardless of how you wish to view it now.

You are arguing semantics. You’re right. CCH was the defacto HCIW. I’m saying that he should never have been such. Lee mentored under Tanner. He put himself in a position to be our HC by leaving to be the HC at a smaller school. He built CofC into a contender. His team either beat us or gave us all we wanted every year while he was there. He deserved the job in my view. That is all I am saying. CCH had done nothing but ride Tanner’s coattail. I’m not blaming him because that’s all he was required to do. He did his job. It just really sucks that we have to watch Lee, who in my view was the man to be our HC, beat us as he has done. As long as he is there, Clemson is going to be a hand full to deal with. I really like Kingston, and believe he can right the GC baseball ship, but prior to Lee becoming the Clemson HC, we owned Clemson, but not any more.

Wait until Venables leaves for a HC gig.....Muschamp will slide right into that DC position.

Both Radakovic and Lee were and are highly qualified. They were not failures or fired by USC. Know your facts, and take a course in Logic 101 before posting idiotic statements.

You are arguing semantics. You’re right. CCH was the defacto HCIW. I’m saying that he should never have been such. Lee mentored under Tanner. He put himself in a position to be our HC by leaving to be the HC at a smaller school. He built CofC into a contender. His team either beat us or gave us all we wanted every year while he was there. He deserved the job in my view. That is all I am saying. CCH had done nothing but ride Tanner’s coattail. I’m not blaming him because that’s all he was required to do. He did his job. It just really sucks that we have to watch Lee, who in my view was the man to be our HC, beat us as he has done. As long as he is there, Clemson is going to be a hand full to deal with. I really like Kingston, and believe he can right the GC baseball ship, but prior to Lee becoming the Clemson HC, we owned Clemson, but not any more.
CofC was a contender before he got there. Pawlowski (sp) did a pretty good job himself at CofC, which helped him land the Auburn job. And his teams gave us all we could handle.

We only "owned" Clemson toward the end of both Jack's and Ray's tenures. Let's not forget that they took the regular season series from us in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2010. We had even series with them in 2004, 2005, 2006. This is another area where people's memories are clouded by the end of a tenure. They still hold a significant lead in the overall record. 10 of 16 seasons we either lost,or had an even series.

Last edited:
Both Radakovic and Lee were and are highly qualified. They were not failures or fired by USC. Know your facts, and take a course in Logic 101 before posting idiotic statements.
It was a joke (guess I should have put it in red....or blue...or whatever the color for sarcasm is today). I don't expect Muschamp to be fired either. And I know all about Radakovich and Lee also....and the issue Radakovich had at GaTech with the NCAA investigation that landed them on probation. Good administrator but he screwed that one up.

I agree. I hate him, Dabo, Brownell and anything Clemson. I especially hate the morons on this board who make us all look like idiots when they misspell Clemson. Don't you know they will post it on Tigernet in 15 minutes?
Because you and Tigernet are so obsessed with us!

Reactions: bloody spur
CofC was a contender before he got there. Pawlowski (sp) did a pretty good job himself at CofC, which helped him land the Auburn job. And his teams gave us all we could handle.

We only "owned" Clemson toward the end of both Jack's and Ray's tenures. Let's not forget that they took the regular season series from us in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2010. We had even series with them in 2004, 2005, 2006. This is another area where people's memories are clouded by the end of a tenure. They still hold a significant lead in the overall record. 10 of 16 seasons we either lost,or had an even series.

College baseball is no different than any other college sport. Success depends more on evaluation and recruiting than anything else. Holbrook was a good recruiter, but maybe did not evaluate players as well. Once they are on campus, great coaches develop them.

Bat Girl, you have access to more data, have more time to mine it, are more knowledgeable, and your memory is certainly better than mine at this point. I won’t argue facts with you. You are a good poster, and I enjoy reading your posts. I agree with you on most topics. It’s just my opinion that Lee was better qualified to be our next HC. Having said that, Go Gamecocks!

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
College baseball is no different than any other college sport. Success depends more on evaluation and recruiting than anything else. Holbrook was a good recruiter, but maybe did not evaluate players as well. Once they are on campus, great coaches develop them.

Bat Girl, you have access to more data, have more time to mine it, are more knowledgeable, and your memory is certainly better than mine at this point. I won’t argue facts with you. You are a good poster, and I enjoy reading your posts. I agree with you on most topics. It’s just my opinion that Lee was better qualified to be our next HC. Having said that, Go Gamecocks!

It's all good Wally. Good conversation is always welcome. We all tend to get a little heated, but that's because we all love the Garnet and Black.

The lack of development is the biggest issue many of us had with CCH. And unfortunately, we are paying the price now. As I said in another post, it may take a full year for CMK to exorcise the "demons" left by the previous staff.

I just wonder if ML would have worked out the way we all believe he would have. He hasn't even made it out of home regionals in his first 2 seasons. We know how well that would have gone over here. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT