ADVERTISEMENT

Why so different?

Chopper007

Jan 20, 2013
it seems like last year at this time we had commitments from half a team with some big names. Why is this year so different? Scholarship numbers? needs? Or something else? We are ranked no 79 in recruiting so far....

Reactions: Tigerbomb
JHuuo55.gif

Reactions: bloody spur
it seems like last year at this time we had commitments from half a team with some big names. Why is this year so different? Scholarship numbers? needs? Or something else? We are ranked no 79 in recruiting so far....

Because the recruits know that Spurrier won't be here long enough for them to finish there career. Most people on here are in denial!!

Reactions: conCOCKshon
Because the recruits know that Spurrier won't be here long enough for them to finish there career. Most people on here are in denial!!

'They' ('they' being recruits, rival recruiters, fans, high school coaches, etc.) don't really know what they're talking about). None of us or 'them' know when the HBC will hang it up.

Because people like basses constantly berating our coaches on message boards.

There, just like you basses I can make up crap too.

The trend is starting to turn away from early commitments. The kids that commit early have caused problems down the road with decommitments. I think our staff has even discouraged a few about committing early. They would rather have a "South Carolina leads" than a commitment that does not follow through. If they are totally committed then its 'all aboard'. If they are still taking visits it looks bad when they don't honor the commitment. I liked it better when we finished strong rather than have decommitments in the end. It seems more of a "jumping on the ship" vs a "jumping off the ship".

Thanks to those who responded with their thoughts outside of the horses a$$es. One shouldn't assume that everyone reads this site routinely like some .... Not that there is anything wrong with checking routinely

How long is Dabo going to be at CU?

How long is Nick Saban going to be at Bama?

With all the success he had, who would've thought Harbaugh would've been ran out of San Francisco? How long do you think he will stay at Michigan before jumping back to the NFL?

My point, there is no guarantee that any of the above coaches will be at those schools longer than SOS is here. A coach should influence where a recruit goes for sure but it should only be a small factor. An even smaller factor should be position coaches.

Yeah, maybe other coaches are using SOS's age, his comments, etc. against us right now but the argument could be made by SOS that he is more secure than 95% of the other coaches out there. 95% of the other coaches could be fired after one or two mediocre seasons. Reality is, we wont fire SOS for 2 mediocre seasons in a row. Recruits have just as much of a chance of playing for SOS for 4 years as they do going anywhere else and playing for that coach for 4 years.

How long is Dabo going to be at CU?

How long is Nick Saban going to be at Bama?

With all the success he had, who would've thought Harbaugh would've been ran out of San Francisco? How long do you think he will stay at Michigan before jumping back to the NFL?

My point, there is no guarantee that any of the above coaches will be at those schools longer than SOS is here. A coach should influence where a recruit goes for sure but it should only be a small factor. An even smaller factor should be position coaches.

Yeah, maybe other coaches are using SOS's age, his comments, etc. against us right now but the argument could be made by SOS that he is more secure than 95% of the other coaches out there. 95% of the other coaches could be fired after one or two mediocre seasons. Reality is, we wont fire SOS for 2 mediocre seasons in a row. Recruits have just as much of a chance of playing for SOS for 4 years as they do going anywhere else and playing for that coach for 4 years.
Look none of us know nothing about when these coaches are going to retire. The reason the 3 you quoted are different than Spurrier is because Saban NEVER put a time frame on his coaching era, Spurrier did, whether we like it or not. Harbaugh and Dabo are significantly younger than Spurrier.

Whether the end of Spurrier's career was mentioned by him or not, the writing was on the wall. When you get to 67 or so in the coaching world it's never a shock that a coach retires. But for a 70 year old coach to say publicly he's done in 2 or 3 years is not a smart thing to do. What kid wants to deal with a coaching change, maybe the next staff won't even renew a scholarship!

Spurrier has done many great things for us, but there now needs to be a damage control plan for the statements he made or we will suffer greatly when he does leave.

I think he could easily be here another 5-7 years. His health is good, we will start winning again this year, he is obviously enjoying coaching. He made the 2-3 year comment at a moment in time when we were losing and he was somewhat discouraged by our defense. That moment has passed.

The trend is starting to turn away from early commitments. The kids that commit early have caused problems down the road with decommitments. I think our staff has even discouraged a few about committing early. They would rather have a "South Carolina leads" than a commitment that does not follow through. If they are totally committed then its 'all aboard'. If they are still taking visits it looks bad when they don't honor the commitment. I liked it better when we finished strong rather than have decommitments in the end. It seems more of a "jumping on the ship" vs a "jumping off the ship".
Yeah, that is some serious golden thread spun from pure sunshine right there. You can make a lot of money with that stuff.

I'm going to go with: We aren't recruiting as well as we used to. Down year on the field equals a down year in recruiting, because we don't have a plan to mitigate that effect.

Yeah, that is some serious golden thread spun from pure sunshine right there. You can make a lot of money with that stuff.

I'm going to go with: We aren't recruiting as well as we used to. Down year on the field equals a down year in recruiting, because we don't have a plan to mitigate that effect.

Is it possible to disagree without being a total jerk, ALL THE TIME? :rolleyes:

Is it possible to disagree without being a total jerk, ALL THE TIME? :rolleyes:
I don't know because, what does that mean? Not contradict the stuff people make up because it's just what they want to hear? How about we just accept that the odds are going to be a little steeper against us this year? Why is that so hard to do?

Why so different from last year? This time last year all the talk was "Will this be the time Spurrier finally wins the SEC?" Now the the talk is "Will this be the time Spurrier finally gives up, and hangs in the towel?" That's the reason why. Everyone knows this is the real reason, and it is what it is and we just have to deal with it and try to win anyway.

Last edited:
I think this is his last year coming up.

You never liked Spurrier did you ?
I remember you being very negative about him until the 11 win seasons started rolling in, then you just disappeared for awhile.
As soon as last season got off to a bad start then you show up again.
It was you who said we should pull for clemson in the baseball playoffs. You are just another poser.

There have been a couple of recruits who said they were ready to commit but the staff asked them to wait. Their reason to ask them to wait maybe different (grades, other offers for players at that position, don't think they are totally committed) but the fact remains they told more than one to hold off on their commitment. That's not sunshine moron...that's fact. If you look at rivals rankings you will notice a lot of the teams are there because of numbers, not quality. If we sign a class of 4 and 3 stars with a heavy lean on 4 stars that will always give a top 20 class. I think the class will be fine and with Spurrier making it clear he is not looking to be a one and done that will help. I think he even realized if he retired...what would he do ? I retired fully at 46 and I tried it for one year. I went back to work and work longer hours and harder than ever. Some people just can't stop doing what they love and sit in a chair or hit the golf course everyday. Spurrier's not going anywhere anytime soon....now he knows it !

I don't know because, what does that mean? Not contradict the stuff people make up because it's just what they want to hear? How about we just accept that the odds are going to be a little steeper against us this year? Why is that so hard to do?

Why so different from last year? This time last year all the talk was "Will this be the time Spurrier finally wins the SEC?" Now the the talk is "Will this be the time Spurrier finally gives up, and hangs in the towel?" That's the reason why. Everyone knows this is the real reason, and it is what it is and we just have to deal with it and try to win anyway.

Not the contradicting/disagreeing. The asinine, insulting comments you make while disagreeing. Does it make you feel better about yourself? You know what, doesn't matter, back on Ignore. Not because I disagree with you but because you insist on acting like a jerk, in everyone of your posts.

Look none of us know nothing about when these coaches are going to retire. The reason the 3 you quoted are different than Spurrier is because Saban NEVER put a time frame on his coaching era, Spurrier did, whether we like it or not. Harbaugh and Dabo are significantly younger than Spurrier.

Whether the end of Spurrier's career was mentioned by him or not, the writing was on the wall. When you get to 67 or so in the coaching world it's never a shock that a coach retires. But for a 70 year old coach to say publicly he's done in 2 or 3 years is not a smart thing to do. What kid wants to deal with a coaching change, maybe the next staff won't even renew a scholarship!

Spurrier has done many great things for us, but there now needs to be a damage control plan for the statements he made or we will suffer greatly when he does leave.

If the new staff doesn't renew a scholarship then you need to hang them up and study. Your career will not be in the NFL!

Ah. These posters like basses who think they know more than the rest of us. You don't know any more than me and I have no idea when SOS will retire. If you've got proof you know put it up here.

There have been a couple of recruits who said they were ready to commit but the staff asked them to wait. Their reason to ask them to wait maybe different (grades, other offers for players at that position, don't think they are totally committed) but the fact remains they told more than one to hold off on their commitment. That's not sunshine moron...that's fact. If you look at rivals rankings you will notice a lot of the teams are there because of numbers, not quality. If we sign a class of 4 and 3 stars with a heavy lean on 4 stars that will always give a top 20 class. I think the class will be fine and with Spurrier making it clear he is not looking to be a one and done that will help. I think he even realized if he retired...what would he do ? I retired fully at 46 and I tried it for one year. I went back to work and work longer hours and harder than ever. Some people just can't stop doing what they love and sit in a chair or hit the golf course everyday. Spurrier's not going anywhere anytime soon....now he knows it !
The only reason our coaches tell our recruits not to commit is because they have prospects they like better at the position that they don't want to give up on. It happens every year. The part about, not wanting them to commit because they are worried about decommitting and would rather just being leading is pure nonsense. If they were better players, they'd want the commitment. Also, we are looking at a class mostly of 3stars this time. Maybe like 4-5 4stars

The only reason our coaches tell our recruits not to commit is because they have prospects they like better at the position that they don't want to give up on. It happens every year. The part about, not wanting them to commit because they are worried about decommitting and would rather just being leading is pure nonsense. If they were better players, they'd want the commitment. Also, we are looking at a class mostly of 3stars this time. Maybe like 4-5 4stars
We'll see.....you might be right, but it's early.....I won't write off anything 7 months out.

We'll see.....you might be right, but it's early.....I won't write off anything 7 months out.
If we have a down recruiting year than so be it. We've made it work before. We have our QB, looks like we got a RB, Looking like we'll have a good haul on the OL and LB. We have a good number of WR and DB targets that aren't really highly rated but there could be some really good ones in there. So if we we can just pull out some DL that have slipped through some cracks somewhere like we have in the past, than we'll have a class that get's the job done. 7 months seems like a long time but actually it's pretty late in the game when you consider a lot of these guys have been recruited for several years. Its hard to jump in on recruits this late and win, though it does happen. Just don't expect anyone too highly touted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT