ADVERTISEMENT

Why we can't do this or that......

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
been looking at all the posters reasons why we are losing so many series and by all definition, a bad baseball team. Statements such as , we can't hit, we can't bunt, our pitchers can't close games, we make goofy calls, can't throw out base runners, can't run bases, make too many errors and on and on it goes. What is so sad is all this has been the case since Holbrook became head coach five years ago. The program seems to get a little worse each year. Some are saying we have great talent, some say no talent . I believe the talent level is there with all the SEC which makes it very good on the national scale. To me, our team seems scared to win. We always seem to get uptight when the situation gets close and sticky. We play defensively and not to lose. This is very telling when so many times batters poke at a pitch instead of swing at a pitch. Our baseball personality has definitely taken after it's coach and his staff. Holbrook just doesn't have the instincts of the winner, the killer. I think sometimes he wonders himself if the job is too demanding. The one exception I can see on this team, the one player who has the talent and winning attitude, the one kid who absolutely hates to lose is Cortes. All this storied program needs to get back to our winning ways is the right head man calling the shots and pushing the right button. The longer Tanner waits to hire this coach, the harder it will be to become the once feared Gamecock Team.

Reactions: SliderUSC
Well all the national baseball talking heads say Holbrook has recruited great talent. I think they are not developed when they get here. In fact many seem to regress.

Reactions: SliderUSC
The fact is we don't have the talent everyone says we do. Now, our coach also doesn't know a thing about putting them in position either. Destino should be at 1b and LT should be the DH. Cortes in LF. Row at 2nd. I honestly don't know of anyone outside of our starting pitchers, Tyler, Bride, and possibly Cortes that would start on any of our teams from the last 10-15 years.

We don't have any hitters that strike fear into opposing pitchers.

When Cortes is at the plate he takes it personally. When he grounds out, flies out, or strikes out he feels cheated. He sees every AB as a mano a mano and that's what makes him a good hitter.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT