ADVERTISEMENT

Will braves change name?

Why is it offensive to some for a sports team to have a nickname like the Braves, Indians, Redskins, etc.?

If someone wanted to change the nickname of the Marion High School athletic teams to The Freddie.B.Cockys it would not be offensive to me whatsoever. Well, the way our high school teams play I would be a little offended but not much. I mean the football team couldn't tackle my 98 year old one legged grandpa.

But heck, if they were announcing the play by play of one of the high school sports team and made the comment "boy those Freddie.B.Cockys are playing like gang busters tonight, I would actually be honored and not offended.

Last edited:
Why is it offensive to some for a sports team to have a nickname like the Braves, Indians, Redskins, etc.

If someone wanted to change the nickname of the Marion High School athletic teams to The Freddie.B.Cockys it would not be offensive to me whatsoever. Well, the way our high school teams play I would be a little offended but not much. I mean the football team couldn't tackle my 98 year old one legged grandpa.

But heck, if they were announcing the play by play of one of the high school sports team and made the comment "boy those Freddie.B.Cockys are playing like gang busters tonight, I would actually be honored and not offended.

Gotta change name of San Diego Padres, religious favoritism to one religion......just merely suggesting a swinging Friar should appal all good mackerel snappers.

Washington Karen's
https%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2Ffiles%2F2020%2F07%2Fkarens2.jpg

So, Washington want’s the mascot changed from an Indian because it’s offensive to Indians. Yet they are considering naming them the Red Tails which are the black pilots of the Tuskegee Airmen. Am I missing something? How is one Mascot offensive and the other one an honor?

Why is it offensive to some for a sports team to have a nickname like the Braves, Indians, Redskins, etc.

That’s my point.

So, Washington want’s the mascot changed from an Indian because it’s offensive to Indians. Yet they are considering naming them the Red Tails which are the black pilots of the Tuskegee Airmen. Am I missing something? How is one Mascot offensive and the other one an honor?
because one name is a racial slur. I discussed this in a closed and deleted thread. It is akin to naming a team the New York Heebs or the San Antonio Spics. It's offensive and rude to call a native American a Redskin. They can keep the Native American logo, it's the actual name that's offensive.

EDIT: Maybe they should petition the Blackfeet tribe to use that name. Washington Blackfeet, since a prominent member of the tribe was involved with the creation of the logo.

Last edited:
because one name is a racial slur. I discussed this in a closed and deleted thread. It is akin to naming a team the New York Heebs or the San Antonio Spics. It's offensive and rude to call a native American a Redskin. They can keep the Native American logo, it's the actual name that's offensive.

EDIT: Maybe they should petition the Blackfeet tribe to use that name. Washington Blackfeet, since a prominent member of the tribe was involved with the creation of the logo.

Oh crap, don’t even bring up the Chicago black hawks!

What should be done is to align with a tribe as Florida State did with the Seminoles. Get their approval for the imagery and marketing and give them a piece of the merchandise sales. FSU and the Seminole tribe have forged a mutually beneficial and non- pejorative relationship.

Why Washington has failed in this move is anyone’s guess........it has been mentioned for years.

Reactions: king ward
The time is now. There's a lot of historical nobility among the Native Americans. Correctly recognized and depicted, there's a place for tribal names to be adopted by sports teams. But the tribes have to be on board with it.

they gave their names to the rivers, Powhatan & Pamunkey (think Pocahontas:)

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Braves---Brave or Tomahawk (Too bad Hawks is already taken)
Redskins---Hogs (a tribute to the old offensive line nickname)

Just call em Washington Indians then

The War on Masculinity had something to do with this. People choose mascots based on things they love, not something they intend to degrade. But someone had an issue with the “warrior image” of Redskins. So by changing a few letters, they can simply become the Washington Redskirts.

What should be done is to align with a tribe as Florida State did with the Seminoles. Get their approval for the imagery and marketing and give them a piece of the merchandise sales. FSU and the Seminole tribe have forged a mutually beneficial and non- pejorative relationship.

Well, that may or may not work. The University of North Dakota whose nickname was the Fighting Sioux had to change their name to the Hawks. There are two tribes of Sioux in North Dakota, one tribe voted to allow the university to continue to use the nickname the Sioux, however the other tribe of Sioux didn't vote on the nickname so therefore the U. of North Dakota had to change their nickname.

Last edited:

I don't consider it a racial slur to call someone a Warrior, Indian, Braves, etc. Now calling someone a spic is racial. But calling someone Warrior, Braves, etc is an honor to my way of thinking.

In fact if some team wanted to nickname their team the Southern Rednecks it wouldn't bother me, because I'm not one and no one, even if they are a Southern Redneck considers themselves a Southern Redneck but there are some people who might even consider it an honor.

I don't consider it a racial slur to call someone a Warrior, Indian, Braves, etc. Now calling someone a spic is racial. But calling someone Warrior, Braves, etc is an honor to my way of thinking.

In fact if some team wanted to nickname their team the Southern Rednecks it wouldn't bother me, because I'm not one and no one, even if they are a Southern Redneck considers themselves a Southern Redneck but there are some people who might even consider it an honor.
>.> The only name I was referring to (and one of the only ones you didn't list) was Redskin. Why is it people always try to add points I wasn't even making and argue those? Warrior, Brave, Seminole, Chief, even Indian are not insults (though Indian is wildly inaccurate and I'm genuinely shocked it stuck after people realized this wasn't India). Redskin is. If the Indians want to change their name because of some deep seeded white guilt, that's on them.

Yes, at some point the Braves will change their name. It's unfortunate, but just the way things are going.

Well, that may or may not work. The University of North Dakota whose nickname was the Fighting Sioux had to change their name to the Hawks. There were two tribes of Sioux in North Dakota, one tribe voted to allow the university to continue to use the nickname the Sioux, however the other tribe of Sioux didn't vote on the nickname so therefore the U. of North Dakota had to change their nickname.
I guess FSU is fortunate there was only one tribe of Seminoles to deal with. It appears their arrangement has worked well. I think it would in most cases if the same approach were used.

Just let the players vote on a team name before each season like my kids 4 year old soccer team did.

So how many on here are real big NFL Washington football fans ?
Because if you're like me, I don't follow them at all, so if they decide to change their team name I doubt I could care less.

So how many on here are real big NFL Washington football fans ?
Because if you're like me, I don't follow them at all, so if they decide to change their team name I doubt I could care less.
I don't follow them, but it wouldn't bother me if I did. I think that's kind of the point a lot of people are making. This whole exercise is silly. I seriously wish all major sports teams would just give the naming rights to BLM, the Native Americans, etc. and put an end to this once and for all. It would be good to end all of this within the year instead of letting it drag on for the next ten.

I wouldn't try to work with them on name changes. Compromises and discussions are futile. I'd just give them the naming rights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I don't follow them, but it wouldn't bother me if I did. I think that's kind of the point a lot of people are making. This whole exercise is silly. I seriously wish all major sports teams would just give the naming rights to BLM, the Native Americans, etc. and put an end to this once and for all. It would be good to end all of this within the year instead of letting it drag on for the next ten.
Unlike you and I who aren't bothered by the name change, the tone of this thread appears to lean more to anger than to indifference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT