ADVERTISEMENT

Will Holbrook be retained next year? It won't surprise me at all.***

If I was getting in Vegas unfortunately I would bet yes. I stated before other staff changes will hopefully happen at a minimum.

Too soon to say for sure, but the trend would indicate not. Can't see us winning either of the series against LSU or KY. But season isn't over yet. If they get hot and get on a roll...

I'm reminded of Spring-Summer 1998. Brad Scott was hired following the end of the Sparky-era (1994). His first year was a success by our standards, 6-5 followed by a bowl win. 1995 was a losing year. 1996 was a 6-5 year, but no bowl game. 1997 was another loser, but Brad didn't seem to be in trouble. I remember many discussions about Brad's job security; we all thought that he would be safe, barring a disaster...you know, something like 1-10.
I think Chad is in a similar situation. Sure, the circumstances are different. Brad walked into a mess, Chad walked into a bank. Still, Chad has provided 2 acceptable seasons and 2 that weren't.
If this is the baseball-equivalent of Brad's 1998 (another year with no tourney) I could see him being gone.

Reactions: USCLaw85
Holbrook is there for as long as he wants to be. All the basketball euphoria and hopes for football have taken the heat off Tanner to do anything about him.

I say let's let the season play out...

I thought about this... Chad is trying his hardest to follow in Ray's footstep and at one time, Ray did lose SEC weekend series in March and April. But just before May, Ray's team turned it around...

I saw some life in this team this past weekend and I say let's just wait and see against Kentucky... I could be wrong, but what do we have to lose???

Holbrook is there for as long as he wants to be. All the basketball euphoria and hopes for football have taken the heat off Tanner to do anything about him.
Not sure that is totally accurate. While he may get a pass, I know for a fact that Tanner is getting heat with the situation.

Yes.
IMO if he is he better shake up his staff and find some coaches that can help him. I think holding on to Tanner's former coaches has done more to hurt him than help him.

But I wouldn't count on that happening either.

With the piching staff we have, I suspect we'll cause some teams enough problems that CH will stay. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see our staff get us through the SEC tourny with a respectable finish and still host.
Hope you're right but we have a long history of not lasting long in the SEC tourney. Only time we won was 04.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
With the piching staff we have, I suspect we'll cause some teams enough problems that CH will stay. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see our staff get us through the SEC tourny with a respectable finish and still host.
I agree with this if our starting pitching can go 7 innings. With TJ limited, can't use 2 days in a row etc, and JM not willing to use more guy's it would be tough.

Unless he wins a regional, he will not be back.

Yes.
IMO if he is he better shake up his staff and find some coaches that can help him. I think holding on to Tanner's former coaches has done more to hurt him than help him.

But I wouldn't count on that happening either.

He held on to Jerry and Sammy because that was Ray's ultimatum. Fact.

Well.....perhaps he can find friends & family to fill up the ballpark, because if Holbrook is back, he can have my 4 tickets.
Your 4 tickets will not determine whether the ballpark is filled or not.

Your 4 tickets will not determine whether the ballpark is filled or not.
And yours will not determine that it is. If enough people are happy and excited about Gamecock baseball, the money will keep coming and the park will be full. If not, Tanner will have to make a decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT