ADVERTISEMENT

Will KY be ranked when we play them?

Everybody gets exercised about Clemson and Georgia, but I am more concerned about our inability to beat Kentucky. I only looked back 5 years (2014-2018), but we had higher ranked recruiting classes than UK every year, yet we lost on the field for 4 straight seasons. Even if you want to throw out Spurrier's last year, it still looks bad. This is an SEC opponent where the old saw of "we need to recruit better players" just does not hold water.

Everybody gets exercised about Clemson and Georgia, but I am more concerned about our inability to beat Kentucky. I only looked back 5 years (2014-2018), but we had higher ranked recruiting classes than UK every year, yet we lost on the field for 4 straight seasons. Even if you want to throw out Spurrier's last year, it still looks bad. This is an SEC opponent where the old saw of "we need to recruit better players" just does not hold water.
So, you're saying the UK coaches have done a better job coaching their boys up than our guys have?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I wouldn't say I'm all that high on 'em. I just don't think very much of KY.
I'm actually fairly high on MSU. If they were in the East, they would be UGA's biggest threat. They always seem to have big, mean lines and RBs that run a punishing style the way UT's backs used to be under Phat Phil. I like their QB too. He's big, strong and deceptively fast and elusive.

I think we need to worry more about actually beating UK than whether they will be ranked when we play them.
You're right, but some people, those who habitually place the cart before the horse, are seeking a path to our being ranked sooner instead of later, hence the interest in beating ranked opponents. We're always doing that around here.

You're right, but some people, those who habitually place the cart before the horse, are seeking a path to our being ranked sooner instead of later, hence the interest in beating ranked opponents. We're always doing that around here.
It's like the thread pre-season "what game is a must win". People listed all these other games. The list begins and ends with UK. It doesn't matter who else we beat, if we let them beat us for a 5th year in a row.

It's like the thread pre-season "what game is a must win". People listed all these other games. The list begins and ends with UK. It doesn't matter who else we beat, if we let them beat us for a 5th year in a row.
That would be ugly, and as usual, they have the skill people to give us absolute fits.

Yes they do. And I do not feel good about that game at all.
I fear Benny Snell Jr. will have about 150yds rushing....... Or Ky as a team will go over 200. After 2 games, I'm not comfortable with our ability to stop the run.

I hope so. At some point, we've got to beat a ranked team. We need all the chances we can get.

Fair enough. It's much more advantageous for us if they prove to be mediocre. But I think they've become pretty good, and I think that will be a game worth watching.
They're confident at least... and it seems like they're pretty well coached.

I think maybe you're reading to much into the OP. I guess I was more interested in whether 1) UK would beat MSU and 2) if they do, do they get ranked at 3-0. I guess I could have asked that question, but I prefer to relate everything to us and our opponents.

Reactions: king ward
I think we need to worry more about actually beating UK than whether they will be ranked when we play them.
As long as our players aren't sitting around pondering UK's rankings this week, we should be OK. Well, we maybe not OK, but at least this banter among fans won't effect anything.

Right we need worse players. That will fix it
Part of our issue is other teams punch us in the mouth and we take it. Kentucky does that to us. Tenn used to. Time to man up and not be pushed around

Abrupt change of of subject, but is WVU for real and does Texas have anything for Oklahoma?

Texas and Oklahoma have a long history of when that game starts it really doesn't matter who is favored. Texas should have won last year and our offense was terrible, their Heisman winner had to pull it out late 4th qtr. Oklahoma's defense is not as good as last year and while Tyler Murray is good, he isn't a Heisman winner yet. Ask me after the TCU-Texas game, that has actually been a tougher game for Texas. Even Strong beat OU one year.

Southern Cal really wasn't very good. Their freshman qb will be good, but they are asking too much of him too soon. No running game at all (negative 5 yards rushing against Texas for the game). Southern Cal has a great WR in Aman-Ra St Brown. His brother Equanimeous St Brown was good at Notre Dame and his other brother is Osiris St Brown now at Stanford.

I haven't seen much of West Virginia, but everyone says Will Grier is a good qb, Heisman ready. 5 TDs vs Tennessee. WR David Stills makes him even better (140 yds receiving/2TDs against Tennessee). I wasn't impressed last year as Texas held them to 7 points by the offense. But it wasn't Grier's fault as he only threw 8 passes before getting hurt. WVa is obviously a dangerous team.

Reactions: king ward
Unless something changes, Snell will run for 150 plus on us. Might wildcat us to death. Better score some points. Going to have to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT