ADVERTISEMENT

will Lele get an additional year?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
If I understood correctly, players dont have this season count against them. So if Lele wants to come back to WBB program, can she? I hate she missed the tournament last year due to everything and now is injured and missing this years tournament. That stinks for her but can and/or will she come back?

She can have an extra year, but not sure if she'll take it
I think if she does and we add the incoming class, the team will be absolutely loaded. Add a year of experience to what is there now, the incoming talent and add her still being the 6th (wo)man, the team would be awesome

I think if she does and we add the incoming class, the team will be absolutely loaded. Add a year of experience to what is there now, the incoming talent and add her still being the 6th (wo)man, the team would be awesome
"The numbers" are probably getting tight but I'd love to see her get another year like you said. Some would say if she can't start now then she won't next year but every team needs the "glue guys"

Reactions: Gaimcock
If she stayed, that would give us 15 players on the roster next season. The young players need to play. Not saying Lele shouldn't come back, but her minutes would/should be reduced.

Reactions: Gamekem
If she stayed, that would give us 15 players on the roster next season. The young players need to play. Not saying Lele shouldn't come back, but her minutes would/should be reduced.
Her experience and versatility would be a plus for next season. That said, for her to come back DS and Lele will have to have a blunt conversation about expectations around role and minutes.

Her experience and versatility would be a plus for next season. That said, for her to come back DS and Lele will have to have a blunt conversation about expectations around role and minutes.

I remember when Coates was injured she didn't travel with the team during the tournament and didn't attend the championship parade. She also has very little on her social media that identifies her as a former Gamecock. Rare among former WBB players. There must be some bad blood. Completely different situation with Lele. I saw her in a couple of team photos from San Antonio yesterday.

If Lele injured her achilles, and that's just speculation on my part based on how she went down and the vagueness of a "lower leg injury," that's a 10 month rehab for a basketball player. She may prefer to stay at USC to rehab and return to basketball slowly (limited minutes) next season.

If the injury is less serious, then she may want to go ahead and start playing professionally. I don't what her chances are of making a WNBA roster, but she could definitely play somewhere overseas. Again, IF she's healthy.

She just needs to work on getting healthy. If it is an Achilles, she probably won’t be ready until late February or March.

Reactions: DarkCock
I remember when Coates was injured she didn't travel with the team during the tournament and didn't attend the championship parade. She also has very little on her social media that identifies her as a former Gamecock. Rare among former WBB players. There must be some bad blood. Completely different situation with Lele. I saw her in a couple of team photos from San Antonio yesterday.

If Lele injured her achilles, and that's just speculation on my part based on how she went down and the vagueness of a "lower leg injury," that's a 10 month rehab for a basketball player. She may prefer to stay at USC to rehab and return to basketball slowly (limited minutes) next season.

If the injury is less serious, then she may want to go ahead and start playing professionally. I don't what her chances are of making a WNBA roster, but she could definitely play somewhere overseas. Again, IF she's healthy.

Coates attended the championship parade because I remember her receiving an award from her hometown. I can believe that the medical staff told her to stay in Columbia and rest versus travelling to Dallas at the time. Her potential WNBA career was much brighter than Lele's ever will be. But, its always possible that there's bad blood.

If Lele comes back it will help the team, but, I prefer it if she left the youngings need minutes and there are others there who can teach them.

Reactions: DarkCock
Coates attended the championship parade because I remember her receiving an award from her hometown. I can believe that the medical staff told her to stay in Columbia and rest versus travelling to Dallas at the time. Her potential WNBA career was much brighter than Lele's ever will be. But, its always possible that there's bad blood.

If Lele comes back it will help the team, but, I prefer it if she left the youngings need minutes and there are others there who can teach them.

Yeah, I do seem to recall Coates at the parade now that you mention it. She's still involved in the community, I know. But her social media is quiet about Carolina compared to other former players, even one's like Kaela Davis who weren't here very long.

Lele's future is playing overseas, but there is good money to be made there. Better than the WNBA even. A'ja played in China before Covid hit.

Coates has no "bad blood" with Coach Staley or the program. She doesn't spend a ton of time on social networks, but has had convos with Staley and others on her team like Wilson, and has gotten together with the team and/or former teammates when she can.

She not too long participated in a video introducing the current Gamecocks along with other past Gamecocks players - she seemed fine about everything to me:

In the thread about whether or not the team would miss Lele in the tournament, I stated it was an opportunity for Amihere to shine, and she did make the all-region team. However, what I didn't expect was Saxton's complete no-show and Boston's foul trouble in the Stanford game . We could have used Lele in that game, for sure, considering we only lost by 1 point.

I've said elsewhere I would like to see the team add a 6'2'' post player to play limited minutes in case Boston/Amihere get in foul trouble. But would that transfer be as good as Lele and be willing to play limited minutes. Probably not.

There's no bad blood between Coates and our program. I don't know why she didn't travel but I'm sure there was a medical reason. If someone is susceptible to blood clots, flying after surgery is not recommended. Not saying this was the case because I don't know. I'm saying there was some reason that it was not in her best interest to be there. Post game during the celebration, Dawn made sure she mentioned her "we got you a ring laylay"

Staiti & Morrison at UGA
Pointer, Cherry, and Aiwufa at LSU
Keyen Green at UT
Ramirez at Ark.
Kiara Smith at UF
Kayla Wells at A&M

Are all coming back for an extra year

Also Ariyah Copeland from Bama to LSU

Jordan Lewis from Bama is the only big fish in the conference who asked for an extra year that has not landed.

There maybe others who apply but this is it so far

Pointer, Cherry, and Aiwufa - those three names back for LSU, plus Copland's addition is good for LSU.

Dawn mentioned today that Lele's weighing her options at home right now. If she stays its a bonus and she will help the team. But, honestly I rather if she leaves. They're straight without her.

Pointer, Cherry, and Aiwufa - those three names back for LSU, plus Copland's addition is good for LSU.

Dawn mentioned today that Lele's weighing her options at home right now. If she stays its a bonus and she will help the team. But, honestly I rather if she leaves. They're straight without her.
I don’t see any minus for this team if she stays. It is a def plus for her to stay and a bit of minus if she raves. She won’t start but is fantastic as first off the bench with energy and defense. If she comes back with what we have coming I , it will be between us and UConn and no one else comes close. As ESPN said, there will be tougher competition in our practices than in most games next year. That says how talented this team will be

I don’t see any minus for this team if she stays. It is a def plus for her to stay and a bit of minus if she raves. She won’t start but is fantastic as first off the bench with energy and defense. If she comes back with what we have coming I , it will be between us and UConn and no one else comes close. As ESPN said, there will be tougher competition in our practices than in most games next year. That says how talented this team will be
The only drawback is every minute Lele plays is a minute that a freshman could be playing. A lot of teams are sacrificing player development for immediate impact next season. We can challenge for a national title while developing our young players. We have 3 players who are higher ranked coming out of high school than Zia. They can contribute next season.

Coach said she hasn't spoken to Lele. I'm guessing she doesn't want to make it promises about what Lele's role would be if she comes back.

Lele is a Gamecock to the core. She deserves the respect of making the decision, especially since we don't have the pressing need to fill out a spot on the roster.

DarkCock gets it. What would Lele be coming back for? She has 3 SEC tourney rings but, has never played beyond the Elite 8 in the NCAA. Every kid wants a final 4 ring and she could help the team achieve one.

At the end of the day I rather the spot goes to her than transfer student. But, if she thought mins was tough with the 2019 class wait until 2021 touch down.

Hopefully the team can play a lot of 'cup cake' games were everyone can get decent mins before the serious bb starts.

DarkCock gets it. What would Lele be coming back for? She has 3 SEC tourney rings but, has never played beyond the Elite 8 in the NCAA. Every kid wants a final 4 ring and she could help the team achieve one.

At the end of the day I rather the spot goes to her than transfer student. But, if she thought mins was tough with the 2019 class wait until 2021 touch down.

Hopefully the team can play a lot of 'cup cake' games were everyone can get decent mins before the serious bb starts.
Lele should come back for the fall semester if for no other reasons than to avail herself of another semester of class and to have top notch facilities and personnel to rehab her injury. After that let her and DS hash it out.

I do not know what her plans are in the future but if she wants to coach, what a marvelous place to transition.

Reactions: roosterbell
Milks26

They're straight without her.

Please clarify this statement about Lele.

Also DS will play very few cupcakes in a normal season. With this team she is going to schedule as strong as she can. We already have UCONN and NCSU scheduled. I believe we have games with Duke and S.Dak in the hopper.
We were slated to open with Oregon last year and I don’t know the status of that game.
Then there is the big 12 matchup, the only team that would not be a rout is Baylor.

If you are looking for cupcakes, taters and Temple are on schedule. Conference patsies will be Vandy, Miss st., UF, Bama and Auburn.

If I am correct we will play A&M and Ole Miss twice in addition to UK

Last edited:
I think the program is fine either way. Personally I think she should go with what's best for her interest. She could go the academic route and get a free top tier education elsewhere, she could go to another semi competitive school in which she could start once healed or she could stay here and finish in hopes of being apart of a potential national championship team. From a fan's perspective I think she's a good role player and a great teammate on the side lines. The perfect kind of no ego player you need on a roster with this much talent. I

I think the program is fine either way. Personally I think she should go with what's best for her interest. She could go the academic route and get a free top tier education elsewhere, she could go to another semi competitive school in which she could start once healed or she could stay here and finish in hopes of being apart of a potential national championship team. From a fan's perspective I think she's a good role player and a great teammate on the side lines. The perfect kind of no ego player you need on a roster with this much talent. I
I as understand she will not be rehabbed fully til Jan. 2022. I do not see transfer portal as a realistic possibility for her.

I personally really hope she takes another year/ chance to win it all. I have followed her closely and like her. A few years ago my youngest daughter was selected to participate in the kids dunk contest at the fan night preseason event. Each kid had a different player work with them and Lele was the one she got to work with. Lele was very nice and my daughter really liked her. She also got to talk with Dawn and Aja on the court for several minutes and that was real cool. It was not just a “hey thanks for coming out” thing. Those two carried on a genuine conversation with her for a while. Another reason I am real partial to Dawn Staley as a person, and Aja. Lele was great though so would love for her to play for one more championship

I personally really hope she takes another year/ chance to win it all. I have followed her closely and like her. A few years ago my youngest daughter was selected to participate in the kids dunk contest at the fan night preseason event. Each kid had a different player work with them and Lele was the one she got to work with. Lele was very nice and my daughter really liked her. She also got to talk with Dawn and Aja on the court for several minutes and that was real cool. It was not just a “hey thanks for coming out” thing. Those two carried on a genuine conversation with her for a while. Another reason I am real partial to Dawn Staley as a person, and Aja. Lele was great though so would love for her to play for one more championship
She should be welcomed back with wide open arms if that's what she wants. She's earned that right and I don't see how in any way she could hurt the team. I personally love her experience and versatility. Would love to see her develop a little more range on her jumper but love her energy on both ends.

Good for her. She's a true Gamecock. I go to all the volleyball games and the WBB players will sometimes drift over to the arena to watch a match. I saw Lele the most of any player, by far. This is her home away from home. Could never see her playing for anyone else. I suppose she has a chance to set the record for most games played by a Carolina basketball player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT