ADVERTISEMENT

Will Tanner screw this up

Will Tanner screw this up?

• Yes

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 41.0%

• Total voters
I voted yes. Just have concerns that RT will not be able to get his first choice, which I hope is TH. However, it is certainly no fault of RT's that so many other coaching jobs opened up at the same time. Tanner has had a 6 week head start on most of these other schools, so he should have been able to get a really good feel for who's available and interested. I guess we will find out by Dec. 12th.

Ray Tanner is in a very tough situation. But I think he ends up making a good decision based on his ability to relate to these coaches.

With six weeks head start Tanner should have already had his guy. If he hasn't then shame on him and that's what you get with a baseball coach as a AD. If he has, then props to him. I have a feeling Elliott will be the guy and if he is then Tanner has some explaining to do.

if he hasnt got this moving and taken care of it yet, he needs to be fired...im hoping he has it all worked out....heres to hoping

With six weeks head start Tanner should have already had his guy. If he hasn't then shame on him and that's what you get with a baseball coach as a AD. If he has, then props to him. I have a feeling Elliott will be the guy and if he is then Tanner has some explaining to do.

that is not happening, few things are 100%, for sure

Tanner has plenty of power and a open checkbook. He will get the best man that wants to be at USC.

I'm hoping these coaches find out that a lot of these AD's won't give them the free reign to do their job like Ray will. A lot of AD's are meddlesome and stick their nose in your business every five seconds. Herman did say he enjoyed his conversation with Ray so hopefully that counts for something.

Tanner is a "by the book", "play by the rules" guy. He will follow protocol while other schools back door their way to coaching staffs we desire. We wait it out so that we are playing nice...that will be where he fails.

Reactions: scgamecockfan007
Well he has already formed his search committee, which no other AD has done. That's gotta mean something...right?
if he hasnt got this moving and taken care of it yet, he needs to be fired...im hoping he has it all worked out....heres to hoping

How do you expect him to button this up ready when no one would sign a contract until the season (or at least the regular season) is over. Trust me, Tanner has been working on candidates like there is no tomorrow but he doesn't have tons of leverage. No one wants to commit until they know what all the options are. Tanner has tried everything in his power to get Herman from what I've been told but they couldn't get him to commit. Maybe he should have gone to plan B sooner. But most of the top tier options wanted to see all available choices before deciding. And all the chips haven't fallen yet. Tell me what you would have done if you were Tanner?

if he truly believed that Herman is the man to take this team to the next level he should offer the bank to him. Money for this school is no problem. If it takes 4 to 5 million to have him sign, then go for it.

How do you expect him to button this up ready when no one would sign a contract until the season (or at least the regular season) is over. Trust me, Tanner has been working on candidates like there is no tomorrow but he doesn't have tons of leverage. No one wants to commit until they know what all the options are. Tanner has tried everything in his power to get Herman from what I've been told but they couldn't get him to commit. Maybe he should have gone to plan B sooner. But most of the top tier options wanted to see all available choices before deciding. And all the chips haven't fallen yet. Tell me what you would have done if you were Tanner?
You said it yourself "go to plan B sooner" because plan A has shown little to no interest in USC and now plan B has other options.

Ok I give in.IPOC will become the new head coach and I will do it just for a steak a day.Real cheap...My logo will be on the side of the new uniform pants to remind our players that we do not lose to the taters anymore...I know I sound stupid maybe that is because I am... ;) I pray Tanner already had a plan in place before SOS left.But who knows?? I tell myself "Be patient Grasshopper"

justin fuente was named virginia techs head coach about as soon as the last snap of their game with virginia....i think tanner has his man and i think its either smart or herman....obviously, he was not interested in fuente....if i were tanner i would have gone after the man i wanted and if he couldnt have given me a "yes i will be at carolina", than i would move on to someone else.....even if he said yes i would have another plan....youve got to have another plan or three or ten....no one has to sign a contract...i would hope a mans word means something this day and age (bobby cremins not included)...just listening to tanner talk i think (just a gut feeling) he has his man...just because we havent heard who it is doesnt mean tanner is not getting who he wants....maybe hes not saying out of respect for the coach or school..who knows...but if tanner didnt foresee all these coaching vacancies coming up or even a possibility that this could happen, than hes a fool.....im hoping he knows what hes doing and im hoping he has the people around him that are smart enough to advise him on such

Last edited:
This is the same deafening silence we heard from this administration when we waited on Spurrier to make changes after last year. We just wanted some kind of pulse from within. Result? One lame duck hire that didn't help one iota. And, oh yeah, we waited that idiot out till the end while other teams were snatching up quality DC's...same way we are waiting now.

This is the same deafening silence we heard from this administration when we waited on Spurrier to make changes after last year. We just wanted some kind of pulse from within. Result? One lame duck hire that didn't help one iota. And, oh yeah, we waited that idiot out till the end while other teams were snatching up quality DC's...same way we are waiting now.
you may be right and i hope not.....if so, tanner needs to get on the next train to nowhere

From the Georgia message board....

Smart will be the next coach. Just spoke to a very big $$$$$$ guy. This was done last week FYI. He will be announced after Bama kills UF. Muschamp might have cost himself the DC job by acting like an ass yesterday.
CJP is gone.
CMR will work as an Asst AD. This shocked me.
I hope CMR gets to fire ADGM!
God bless Mark Richt and I want to thank him for the job he did.
It's time to Move On Go Dawgs!I will not post anything else on this till it's over.

Hope this means Herman is still in play for us.

Herman is not in play for us, Kirby is probably going to Georgia, Fedora is probably going to be the guy.

DK

dk

justin fuente was named virginia techs head coach about as soon as the last snap of their game with virginia....i think tanner has his man and i think its either smart or herman....obviously, he was not interested in fuente....if i were tanner i would have gone after the man i wanted and if he couldnt have given me a "yes i will be at carolina", than i would move on to someone else.....even if he said yes i would have another plan....youve got to have another plan or three or ten....no one has to sign a contract...i would hope a mans word means something this day and age (bobby cremins not included)...just listening to tanner talk i think (just a gut feeling) he has his man...just because we havent heard who it is doesnt mean tanner is not getting who he wants....maybe hes not saying out of respect for the coach or school..who knows...but if tanner didnt foresee all these coaching vacancies coming up or even a possibility that this could happen, than hes a fool.....im hoping he knows what hes doing and im hoping he has the people around him that are smart enough to advise him on such

Tanner is learning on the job which is very troublesome.

Herman is not in play for us, Kirby is probably going to Georgia, Fedora is probably going to be the guy.

DK

dk

I disagree. Tarheel fans are saying Fedora is staying, the Smart to Georgia rumor is really picking up steam and might be legit. Texas is either going after Kelly (even though he says he's not going back to college, but I say BS) or they plan to keep Strong, which is what most people are saying. Helton will be made the permanent HC at USCw, Rhule to Missouri, so who's left? Herman isn't staying at Houston, that's a given, so we're the only school left with a HC position open, unless A&M fires Sumlin, then we might have a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT