ADVERTISEMENT

Will there be a crash?

wallycock

Oct 11, 2001
I haven't been this optimistic about our football future since we upset Clemson at the WB in 2009, and realized we had 22 players off our 44 deep roster coming back in 2010. Then I remembered something that happened ....

As a former investment consultant, I once had a client who fired me because I only got him 24% that year. It was in the mid-late 90's when one segment of the market (LgCap stocks) dominated for 3 years straight with returns of 30%-40%+ each year. If you were diversified over domestic and international Lg-Mid-Sm Cap stocks, and bonds, which is one of the safer ways to participate in the market, your returns were considerably less than if you had 100% of your assets in LgCaps during those years. I explained all of that to him, but he was delusional, and moved his account anyway.

Clemson's football team is kinda like that. They got rid of the players they didn't expect to perform well enough. Sure, they may have lost one they wanted to keep in their portfolio, but they have plenty of others. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. We know that better than anybody; however, I (along with many others) believe they will once again perform considerably well. The LgCaps that remain on their D-Line will make up one of the best units in college football. They are still talented and well diversified at every position, and anyone predicting their demise is wrong. It's still a bull market for them, and their forecast is pretty darn good. Keeping everybody happy is their biggest challenge. I wish we had Clemson's problem. We don't ... not yet anyway, so measure the trash talk carefully. I don't see a crash in their future any time soon.

I have studied socionomics. Your analogy is good, but most people may not see it that way. Alabama does not crash very often, but Saban does not seem to get as euphoric as Dabo. The play calling in tough situations is what I will be looking at.

Reactions: wallycock
I think they will take a step back, but not next year...until the playoffs. That D will be too good against the regular season schedule. Now, depending on who the draw in the playoffs is a different story. If they face anyone with a good D, they will get beat. I see the offense struggling worse than they did last year.

So we should set up 401k for our recruiting this way it’s diversified over time and not directly tied to our people, got it.

When we go to the Pickens for thanksgiving .........

Later ;)

Reactions: wallycock
I haven't been this optimistic about our football future since we upset Clemson at the WB in 2009, and realized we had 22 players off our 44 deep roster coming back in 2010. Then I remembered something that happened ....

As a former investment consultant, I once had a client who fired me because I only got him 24% that year. It was in the mid-late 90's when one segment of the market (LgCap stocks) dominated for 3 years straight with returns of 30%-40%+ each year. If you were diversified over domestic and international Lg-Mid-Sm Cap stocks, and bonds, which is one of the safer ways to participate in the market, your returns were considerably less than if you had 100% of your assets in LgCaps during those years. I explained all of that to him, but he was delusional, and moved his account anyway.

Clemson's football team is kinda like that. They got rid of the players they didn't expect to perform well enough. Sure, they may have lost one they wanted to keep in their portfolio, but they have plenty of others. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. We know that better than anybody; however, I (along with many others) believe they will once again perform considerably well. The LgCaps that remain on their D-Line will make up one of the best units in college football. They are still talented and well diversified at every position, and anyone predicting their demise is wrong. It's still a bull market for them, and their forecast is pretty darn good. Keeping everybody happy is their biggest challenge. I wish we had Clemson's problem. We don't ... not yet anyway, so measure the trash talk carefully. I don't see a crash in their future any time soon.
After taking a look at their roster and recent recruiting, they are going to be really thin at the DT position after this season. They didn't take any DTs in 2017. Belk was the best of the 2 they brought in for 2018 and for the 2019 recruiting class they have 1 relatively unknown DT committed. They really need to hit big with 1 or 2 this cycle. If not, they will be in desperation mode for the 2020 recruiting cycle.

Reactions: BigTomE
So we should set up 401k for our recruiting this way it’s diversified over time and not directly tied to our people, got it.

When we go to the Pickens for thanksgiving .........

Later ;)

This may be how the Taters recruit. Sock cash away every year for the kid in the slush fund earmarked for withdrawal availability when he is no longer a player. I'm sure that violates some NCAA rule, but how in the world would the NCAA ever discover it, unless some player ratted them out.

I have studied socionomics. Your analogy is good, but most people may not see it that way. Alabama does not crash very often, but Saban does not seem to get as euphoric as Dabo. The play calling in tough situations is what I will be looking at.
I would beg to differ. Alabama does crash(by their standards) often, Nick Saban does not.

Nothing I would love to see more than Clemson totally unravel in a year, or two. But unless something happens to derail that program in some way, I just don't see it happening. As long as they continue to recruit at a very high level they are going to have the talent to compete with anyone. Now they have had some defections from highly rated players that are transferring. But that is little more than a curse of riches where even though these players were highly rated, they see no path to significant playing time. Now I don't like that scenario, but that is reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT