ADVERTISEMENT

Will we hire 'on the cheap'?

67gamecock

Oct 3, 2000
Lexington, SC
This is South Carolina and 'cheap' is in our DNA and history. With a BIG payout in the millions due Muschamp, I just don't see a big name coach in our immediate future, i.e. a Spurrier, a Holtz, etc. - perhaps not even a Carlin or Morrison. We need a HC that knows how to coach and develop young men AND can recruit with the best of coaches, PLUS he needs to know how to hire well. We need a coach who can start work here on the run. I'm hoping.

Nobody knows what, if any, correlation that has to the SEC.

Unlike Napier, Freeze has shown what he can do in the SEC. It is as I said above: moderate success IF he cheats like crazy.
Please tell me, what is Napiers best two wins so far as a head coach?

No idea. But that's not relevant to the discussion of how Freeze fared in the SEC. He cheated his way to a 19-21 conference record.
Freeze got caught doing what dablo and many many other head coaches are doing on a regular basis. If you think the most successful programs are clean programs you have your eyes closed and ears plugged.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I am not advocating for/against Freeze. All I'm saying is you know what you're getting. Overall mediocrity. He would probably be slightly better than our historical norm. There's nothing in his coaching history in the SEC to suggest he can match what Spurrier did here from 2010-2014. Maybe that's good enough, I don't know. But he's not gonna come here and win the SEC East or anything like that. Nobody thinks that.

How much did we pay Muschamp for each year he was here, adding together salary + the average of the buy out over each year?

I dont think we were cheap when you look at it like that, but the number is probably one of the stupidest things you will see.

This not exact but:

2016 = $3 million
2017 = $3.1 million
2018 = $4.2 million
2019 = $4.2 Million
2020 = $4.2 million

AVG = $ 3.74 million

Buyout $13 million /5 = $2.6 million

Before the buyout is reduced, thats $6.3 million a year? And did even complete the 5th season, yeah thats pretty stupid looking, not cheap

Last edited:
Freeze got caught doing what dablo and many many other head coaches are doing on a regular basis. If you think the most successful programs are clean programs you have your eyes closed and ears plugged.

lol, "in the face of undeniable facts I will just say I will just make a statement that can neither be proved nor disproved."

Don't take it so personally. Are you Freeze's agent or something. All I'm saying is what's self-evident. If you want to know how he will do here, look at how he did at Ole Miss. Overall mediocre. Maybe that's good enough. Maybe it isn't.

Anyway, he doesn't want this job so it's all wasted discussion.

lol, no, that's not context at all. Do you know what "context" means?
You want to discuss the meaning of words when you consider beating Alabama twice, winning the Sugar Bowl, and having the best winning percentage in modern Ole Miss history as "moderate." LOL, okay, Webster. It is context supporting the argument that Hugh Freeze was highly successful at Ole Miss. Define "moderate," genius! lol

You want to discuss the meaning of words when you consider beating Alabama twice, winning the Sugar Bowl, and having the best winning percentage in modern Ole Miss history as "moderate." LOL, okay, Webster. It is context supporting the argument that Hugh Freeze was highly successful at Ole Miss. Define "moderate," genius! lol

All you're saying is that mediocre was better than their historical norm. I'll grant you that.

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
All you're saying is that mediocre was better than their historical norm. I'll grant you that.
Isn't success in cfb relative? I mean are we going to fire someone winning 8 games/yr here? I hope not unless there's more to the story like 2 seasons in a row averaging 3 wins/yr.

I'm not 100% Freeze, like he's the only option. I just prefer whoever we hire to have more success than most wherever he has been and I don't think we should settle for less than that given that Freeze is an option.

1: Freeze, He has the experience and will win here, but the sanctimonious fans will not be happy.
2: Napier, He has done well at a non P5 program and he knows about recruiting the Carolinas, Ga and Fla.
3: Beamer, What has he done that impresses you the most? I cant think of anything.
1- it is the president of our University whose focus is on integrity and character. Most the fans could care less and would be happy with a “win at all costs” approach. That said, there is no guarantee he would win here nor is there any guarantee he wants our job.

2- Napier makes the most sense and is likely the best candidate/top candidate currently.

3-https://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/ok-somebody-please-sale-me-on-beamer.344219/
Beamer has 20 years of coaching experience and I list a bunch of his accomplishments in that thread... He has accomplished a lot. From here to UGA to Va Tech to now Oklahoma he has shown to be a fantastic STs coordinator, great recruiter and a highly decorated position coach at various positions on both sides of the ball.

[QUOTE="BeCocky77, post: 5390707, member: 122592"

[/QUOTE]
Lets assume that you know what you are spouting about, tell me who your choice is, and why.

[QUOTE="BeCocky77, post: 5390707, member: 122592"

Lets assume that you know what you are spouting about, tell me who your choice is, and why.
[/QUOTE]

I know as much about what I'm talking about as anyone else on here. For whatever that's worth.

All I can say is ESPN sources have reported that Freeze isn't that interested in the job here and would hold out for the UT job.

As it relates to Freeze's lack of interest in this job, my preference for the hire is meaningless.

[/QUOTE]
All I can say is ESPN sources have reported that Freeze isn't that interested in the job here and would hold out for the UT job.
[/QUOTE]
Can you link me to where Freeze specifically stated he wasn't interested in the South Carolina job?
The only thing I have seen is the typical coach speak stuff, such as I am very happy here at Liberty and not looking to go anywhere. Typical coach speak.

[/QUOTE]
Can you link me to where Freeze specifically stated he wasn't interested in the South Carolina job?
The only thing I have seen is the typical coach speak stuff, such as I am very happy here at Liberty and not looking to go anywhere. Typical coach speak.
[/QUOTE]

It's a report from ESPN's Adam Rittenberg quoting industry sources that Freeze prefers the UT job. There's a thread on here about it.

[/QUOTE]

It's a report from ESPN's Adam Rittenberg quoting industry sources that Freeze prefers the UT job. There's a thread on here about it.
[/QUOTE]
Should be easy to link it. I would like to see it.

[/QUOTE]
Should be easy to link it. I would like to see it.
[/QUOTE]

You're already read and posted in the other thread where the link was provided. Original report is an ESPN+ article (subscription only). No, I won't share my subscription with you to read the article. But the link excerpts the relevant info.

It's a report from ESPN's Adam Rittenberg quoting industry sources that Freeze prefers the UT job.

You're already read and posted in the other thread where the link was provided. Original report is an ESPN+ article (subscription only). No, I won't share my subscription with you to read the article. But the link excerpts the relevant info.
I have not read anywhere that Freeze specifically said he was not interested in the South Carolina job. Have you ?

I have not read anywhere that Freeze specifically said he was not interested in the South Carolina job. Have you ?

lol, you'd pee yourself if there was an unsubstantiated and anonymous Twitter report that said Freeze wanted to become the coach here.

lol, you'd pee yourself if there was an unsubstantiated and anonymous Twitter report that said Freeze wanted to become the coach here.
So you haven't read anywhere that Freeze said he was not interested in the South Carolina job as you earlier stated. Just as I expected.

So you haven't read anywhere that Freeze said he was not interested in the South Carolina job as you earlier stated. Just as I expected.

I have also not heard Freeze explicitly state that he is not interested in coaching my son's YMCA soccer team, so I guess that means there's hope!

I have also not heard Freeze explicitly state that he is not interested in coaching my son's YMCA soccer team, so I guess that means there's hope!
Just like myself, you have no inside knowledge on what is going on. Difference is I am not trying to pretend I do.

If by moderate you mean by far the most successful coach at Ole Miss in modern history then yeah, great point.
3-5 vs 3-5
3-5 vs 5-3
5-3 vs 4-4
6-2 vs 3-5
2-6 vs 2-5*

Totals:
19-21 vs 17-22

Why is column 1 so much more impressive than column 2?

Reactions: Dizzy01
3-5 vs 3-5
3-5 vs 5-3
5-3 vs 4-4
6-2 vs 3-5
2-6 vs 2-5*

Totals:
19-21 vs 17-22

A not-unrelated footnote: Column 1 results were obtained with massive cheating.

Freeze's claim to fame in the conference is that he beat Bama twice. Back to back no less!!!

Forget that his 5th season was as bad as Muschamp's.

Reactions: Robhawk29
A not-unrelated footnote: Column 1 results were obtained with massive cheating.

Freeze's claim to fame in the conference is that he beat Bama twice. Back to back no less!!!

Forget that his 5th season was as bad as Muschamp's.
Yep. I am just trying to keep people from thinking I'm dwelling on the infractions. My biggest point is that his actual success at Miss (regardless of how it was accomplished) wasn't nearly as much as some would have us believe. But yes, people need to be reminded that these numbers were earned through an incredible amount of cheating.

Reactions: Robhawk29
3-5 vs 3-5
3-5 vs 5-3
5-3 vs 4-4
6-2 vs 3-5
2-6 vs 2-5*

Totals:
19-21 vs 17-22

Because column 1 was against much better teams and in the best division in all of college football. Column 1 was also better results than anyone had ever done at column 1's school in modern history.

I dont see freeze at a much better upgrade than Mushhead....but, i not a football guru expert but i do sleep at holiday inn express.

Napier of Beamer for me since yall asked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT