ADVERTISEMENT

William Hall Napier: Worst coaching strategy I have seen in my 55 years of

I think the reason I am so outraged is everything I had heard, read or seen of this guy up until now was pretty impressive. I turned the second half of that game on hoping to see some good signs of a coach I would want to have coaching my team and what I saw was a guy who looked nervous under pressure in the half time interview, and a guy who made the worst possible call with the game on the line and it should have cost them an easy win!! His play calling was unimaginative, his team made mistakes and looked sloppy- on STs especially of course but on offense as well. They won that game because their WB is a good athlete who could take lack luster play calls and get a first down sometimes and because they had one DE who was just dominating App St up front! It was not scheme or coaching ability that won, they won IN SPITE of Napier. It really left me shocked and feeling completely different about the man. I guess the other games I had seen them play they just pummeled some cupcake and looked pretty good doing it. When faced with a tight game against a comparable team, he tried to give the game away after having a 14 point 4th quarter lead!! A real head scratcher...

I think the reason I am so outraged is everything I had heard, read or seen of this guy up until now was pretty impressive. I turned the second half of that game on hoping to see some good signs of a coach I would want to have coaching my team and what I saw was a guy who looked nervous under pressure in the half time interview, and a guy who made the worst possible call with the game on the line and it should have cost them an easy win!! His play calling was unimaginative, his team made mistakes and looked sloppy- on STs especially of course but on offense as well. They won that game because their WB is a good athlete who could take lack luster play calls and get a first down sometimes and because they had one DE who was just dominating App St up front! It was not scheme or coaching ability that won, they won IN SPITE of Napier. It really left me shocked and feeling completely different about the man. I guess the other games I had seen them play they just pummeled some cupcake and looked pretty good doing it. When faced with a tight game against a comparable team, he tried to give the game away after having a 14 point 4th quarter lead!! A real head scratcher...
Right. And Shane Beamer has never even had the chance to make such a call or learn from a mistake because he's never been a coordinator - much less a head coach. He will be learning "on the job."

I'd rather have the guy who has lived under the microscope and made the tough decisions and learned from them than a guy who has not. Please don't lecture us about how he has tutored by some of the greats. He wasn't a student under Spurrier, Beamer or Riley. He was a position coach.

If we hire Beamer when we had the chance to get a young head coach ready to move up then we deserve what we get. Could we get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle? Sure ... we could also get hit by an asteroid tomorrow.

He ran the play that in his mine gave them a chance to win and he did.That’s all that counts.At least he wasn’t playing to lose.

Reactions: Flameout12
Right. And Shane Beamer has never even had the chance to make such a call or learn from a mistake because he's never been a coordinator - much less a head coach. He will be learning "on the job."

I'd rather have the guy who has lived under the microscope and made the tough decisions and learned from them than a guy who has not. Please don't lecture us about how he has tutored by some of the greats. He wasn't a student under Spurrier, Beamer or Riley. He was a position coach.

If we hire Beamer when we had the chance to get a young head coach ready to move up then we deserve what we get. Could we get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle? Sure ... we could also get hit by an asteroid tomorrow.
Where did I mention Beamer? If you want to talk about him, fine... But I am not going to let blatant lies slide.

He was a LOT more than just a “position” coach at every job he has had dating back to ours- from recruiting coordinator to STs coordinator to AHC on multiple staffs, calling him a “position coach” is not only inaccurate it is an obvious attention to slight the man. Implying someone would not be a “student” under those coaches while working so closely with them is just dumb.

But the most idiotic thing you say is implying that Beamer NOT having made these same bonehead mistakes is a bad thing. Coaches who show they cannot handle making the right decisions as a Hc are worse candidates than people who have not had HC jobs and Muschamp is all the evidence we beed of that. I call a spade a spade- Napier was my top choice from the start, but when he screws up, I call him on it. When people lie and under represent Beamer’s credentials I call them on it. Have your opinions- cool. There is no need to bend the truth to represent them unless you are insecure in your own beliefs...?

Here we go WOW! Do you think Saban or Bear Bryant coached every game perfect? You learn from mistakes, I did during my life.
I’ve made mistakes but I’ve never purposely walked in front of traffic. I’ve never stood under a tree in a lightning storm. I’ve never grabbed a live wire.

And, if I was a football coach with a 5 point lead with approx 2 min left, I would never take an intentional safety and then free kick it to the other team now only needing a field goal to tie.

There are honest mistakes we can learn from and then there is poor judgement. Napier exhibited the latter last night in Boone.

Let's see, he took a team from Louisiana. They are playing in driving wind and rain with temps in the 30s in Boone, NC. And I think we might all agree that App St isn't exactly a gimme game at that level of football. He also has the unfortunate occurrence of his long snapper getting the yips at the worst possible time. But yet he found a way to win. But not surprising that some of the football geniuses on this site, and it is shocking that Ray hasn't interviewed some of them, want to pick every little thing apart. Of course he took advantage of the athletic abilities of his QB and some of his other talented players. The point some of you are making is akin to saying Spurrier didn't know what he was doing but got bailed out because he handed the ball to Marcus 40 times a game and then threw to Alshon when they had to throw. But I know, Beamer is a nice guy and just because of his last name, he has all the answers.

Reactions: LazyIslander

I’d rather hire the coach who can recruit good players and change the culture of Gamecock football. I believe that formula would have overall greater success than making a couple of bad calls in a game.

He’s 20-4 the past two years at a school with almost zero history of success. He’s winning football games. Whether that translates to the SEC remains to be seen, but the record is solid.

Plus we did pretty well with the last coach we had who was a former QB.

How pitiful it is to see fans arguing over Beamer and Napier. We are just one pitifil program. You throw money at Meyer, Freeze, Campbell, Fleck, Allen, etc until one of them says yes. If they dont then you go to Chadwell. I just dont understand the love of Napier and Beamer.

Reactions: polo-loco
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT