ADVERTISEMENT

Williams Brice video board upgrade

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Seen this mentioned a few times but haven't seen details on what they are actually doing. Is this an actual upgrade to the existing board? Making it larger? More HD? Or is just repairs to the problems with the existing board Tanner has talked about?

As far as I know, it's just repairs. I wonder if they'll finally get around to replacing the ribbon boards on each side of the stadium this year.

As far as I know, it's just repairs. I wonder if they'll finally get around to replacing the ribbon boards on each side of the stadium this year.
Thats a good question. WB needs HD fully wrap around ribbon boards on both sides and the upper decked end zone. Should have happened years ago. Drives me crazy that our athletic department is so slow with making these kind of upgrades.

Looks like CU is installing a brand new video board which of course will be the largest in the state.

Thats a good question. WB needs HD fully wrap around ribbon boards on both sides and the upper decked end zone. Should have happened years ago. Drives me crazy that our athletic department is so slow with making these kind of upgrades.

Looks like CU is installing a brand new video board which of course will be the largest in the state.
Same here. I'm so sick of us always being reactive rather than proactive. It feels like our default stance is "Why should we spend that kind of money?" when other schools ask,"Why wouldn't we?"

Same here. I'm so sick of us always being reactive rather than proactive. It feels like our default stance is "Why should we spend that kind of money?" when other schools ask,"Why wouldn't we?"
Tons more box seats they haven’t sold isn’t a good enough upgrade for you?

Instead of trying to be Bama, Georgia or Clemson with a video board upgrade…I’d settle for cup holders in the Colonial Life Arena.

Yes, for sure CLA needs upgrades. Very little has been done there since the building opened almost 20 years ago.

But, the video board work had to be done. I think it started giving trouble towards the end of the 2019 year and was broken all last season. Our AD is just now getting around to basically repairing it almost two years later. Pathetic.

Reactions: oakley51
Instead of trying to be Bama, Georgia or Clemson with a video board upgrade…I’d settle for cup holders in the Colonial Life Arena.
I've harped on this for years. I don't get to attend many games but I go to one occasionally. Most of the evening games start around suppertime and I live 60 miles away. I usually don't have time to stop and eat. I hate it when I try to grab a bite to eat before tipoff and don't have anyplace to put my drink. It's inconvenient, uncivilized, and sometimes messy. Just not pleasant and very irksome.

We need to make it flash like Clemson does with theirs. Wait to unveil it when they bring their butts to town in a few months.
They have and use a lot of flash capability in the scoreboard at Florida Field and have for years. Very effective and exhilarating once it starts getting dark.

I've harped on this for years. I don't get to attend many games but I go to one occasionally. Most of the evening games start around suppertime and I live 60 miles away. I usually don't have time to stop and eat. I hate it when I try to grab a bite to eat before tipoff and don't have anyplace to put my drink. It's inconvenient, uncivilized, and sometimes messy. Just not pleasant and very irksome

I see where fans voice their opinions, i live 60 miles away, blah, blah and so on and then they complain when they do not go to the games like a lot of fans do. There is not a stadium in the country that is perfect. I can to any stadium or basketball arena that needs to be improved on. One thing for sure is that everyone wants the other fan to go to the games and support the team while they sit at home and complain. I guess the next thing you will want is for someone to bring you food and snacks on a tray and put it on your stand by your tv.

I never really even pay attention to things like that.
One of the reasons i think Alabama and Georgia has the light show is to impress the recruits that visit their campus on that weekend and attend the game. I think you just have to try and keep up and match what they are doing. I guess that is why South Carolina has a DJ ath the game.

I see where fans voice their opinions, i live 60 miles away, blah, blah and so on and then they complain when they do not go to the games like a lot of fans do. There is not a stadium in the country that is perfect. I can to any stadium or basketball arena that needs to be improved on. One thing for sure is that everyone wants the other fan to go to the games and support the team while they sit at home and complain. I guess the next thing you will want is for someone to bring you food and snacks on a tray and put it on your stand by your tv.
You seemed to be having trouble with the quote function. If you're going to quote a person, you really should attach your remarks related to the quote to the quote itself. As for any of my observations regarding the CLA, they are born out of experience which becomes more irritating over time.

For a program that's in a conference that brings the money, we are in steady "getting lapped" mode these days. More luxury boxes means fewer general capacity seating, while Clemson is upgrading to 83K+ seating, to become the team with the largest capacity in SC. And they now have the biggest video board in SC and biggest in SEC with exception of Auburn alone, unless someone in the SEC is upgrading theirs....

Reactions: USC2USC
For a program that's in a conference that brings the money, we are in steady "getting lapped" mode these days. More luxury boxes means fewer general capacity seating, while Clemson is upgrading to 83K+ seating, to become the team with the largest capacity in SC. And they now have the biggest video board in SC and biggest in SEC with exception of Auburn alone, unless someone in the SEC is upgrading theirs....
They finally did get a new one? Had to be one of the most old fashioned left out there

Reactions: rogue cock
They finally did get a new one? Had to be one of the most old fashioned left out there
No. They had two smaller high-definition scoreboards in the stadium for as long as we had our jumbotron (since 2012 I think). They were modern boards, just smaller......

No. They had two smaller high-definition scoreboards in the stadium for as long as we had our jumbotron (since 2012 I think). They were modern boards, just smaller......
I haven't been since 2014, but it was one of these crappy screens with ads around it instead of one giant screen

1107393058_uoall-l.jpg

Of course this is the school where they still sit on grass instead of bleachers

You seemed to be having trouble with the quote function. If you're going to quote a person, you really should attach your remarks related to the quote to the quote itself. As for any of my observations regarding the CLA, they are born out of experience which becomes more irritating over time.
If you like I will attribute my quotes to you. I have been to a lot of games at the CLA and have no issues with the scoreboard or anything else.

I've harped on this for years. I don't get to attend many games but I go to one occasionally. Most of the evening games start around suppertime and I live 60 miles away. I usually don't have time to stop and eat. I hate it when I try to grab a bite to eat before tipoff and don't have anyplace to put my drink. It's inconvenient, uncivilized, and sometimes messy. Just not pleasant and very irksome.
Oh how tough . O the horror. 😁🤔😋

Thats not fair and, in my opinion, it's part of the culture of mediocrity around our program. The minute any of us start to voice any critique at all, no matter how unjustified, we immediately get tagged as the wrong kind of fan.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an expectation of excellence around USC. If we have a video board, it should be one of the best. If we have an indoor practice facility, it should be one of the best. Our amenities at CLA should be on par with the best. And on and on.

Having critical feedback and asking the AD to do better is not expecting perfection. But can we at least strive for excellence across the board???

I think Dung Valley already had slightly more seats than WB even before our most recent upgrades. But I definitely get your point and agree. CU knows how to maximize all this in recruiting.....biggest this, best that. They milk it.

Did anyone else realize CU is spending $68 million on upgrades and expansion of Dung Valley? Hate to link to the rivals site but the link below has a photo of their new video board. One thing for sure....expect zero scrutiny from the good-ole-boy SC legislature on this nearly $70 million dollar spend by the Farmers.

Last edited:
About the seating capacity, I agree with what has been documented on this forum multiple times about fans being priced out and they rather stay at home to watch the games. I think in the future, Williams Brice will continue to shrink as far as seating capacity.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Does Clemson need more seats? Wait til they lose one game, they will be back to giving the tickets away at Bilo

Thats not fair and, in my opinion, it's part of the culture of mediocrity around our program. The minute any of us start to voice any critique at all, no matter how unjustified, we immediately get tagged as the wrong kind of fan.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an expectation of excellence around USC. If we have a video board, it should be one of the best. If we have an indoor practice facility, it should be one of the best. Our amenities at CLA should be on par with the best. And on and on.

Having critical feedback and asking the AD to do better is not expecting perfection. But can we at least strive for excellence across the board???
Like they say we all have our opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT