ADVERTISEMENT

Winning 8 games means nothing

robertfootball

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2006
SC
Am i the only one that feels winning 8 games means nothing if we don't beat Clemson? Going to a bowl game means nothing, winning a bowl game means nothing if we don't beat Clemson. Beating Clemson should always be the measuring stick of a successful season.

I wouldn't say "means nothing," but no team accomplishment (# of wins, bowl win, SEC East win, etc.) means anything if a win over Clem doesn't happen that season.

I just think we get recruits attention by beating Clemson on Saturday than going to any bowl game. I am happy we've won 8 games but a loss to the taternecks will be a pink elephant in the room.

Reactions: Brace1
I wouldn’t say going 8-4 then potentially winning a bowl game means nothing. We’re clearly in a better spot than a lot of teams in the conference and I’m hoping that pays off on the recruiting trail.

However.... The magnitude of beating #2 Clemson and going for 10 wins in a florida bowl cannot be overstated. Would make a good season a great season.

Am i the only one that feels winning 8 games means nothing if we don't beat Clemson? Going to a bowl game means nothing, winning a bowl game means nothing if we don't beat Clemson. Beating Clemson should always be the measuring stick of a successful season.
No season can be considered a success if we lose to UPC. And don't run scenarios by me. That is undifferentiated. Any season in which we lose to UPC is unsuccessful.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Are you the only one that feels an 8 win season means nothing? No, I am quite sure there are other idiots out there with the same opinion. I mean seriously, you are saying that being 0-12 with a loss to Clemson is the same as 8-4 with a loss to Clemson? Seriously? Do I want to beat Clemson? yes. But to say the only thing that matters over the course of the entire season is the Clemson game is absurd.

A good many of you would find something to notch about even if we win. It's in your DNA.

If we have a winning season, a decent bowl game and a victory over Clemson we have had a successful season. A losing season, and we still manage to beat Clemson would not be a successful effort IMO.

No season can be considered a success if we lose to UPC. And don't run scenarios by me. That is undifferentiated. Any season in which we lose to UPC is unsuccessful.

I want to be Clemson so bad it literally hurts. This team probably just doesn't have it in them. I'm not being fatalistic I'm just being realistic.

That said I will not let those orange bastards from the upstate steal my joy about our team making progress.

Do you remember the year 2000? Do you remember coming off 21 game losing streak but winning eight games that season? We lost to Clemson in the push off game in the last seconds. Did you say at the time that the season was not successful?

King you are normally a pretty level headed person but this statement is what has been wrong with SC and Clemson for YEARS. Winning 7-8 games was great as long as we beat our rival. At some point that has to not be enough if you are going to move forward. I mean even when you guys beat us 5 in a row we had other goals that we accomplished. And while those losses hurt they didnt define our seasons and we kept trying to get better. Until SC accepts that beating Clemson is icing on a much bigger and more important cake then you will never get where you wanna go.

I would agree with what Art said above. Its important in that it gets you closer to 10 wins and you can use 10 wins plus a win over us in recruiting. Just being happy beating us isnt gonna get you a lot of recruits. If Auburn had that mentality they would never get good recruits because they lose to Bama more than they win.

Feels like we are making process but Clemson and Bowl games will help better define to what extent. Still needs a signature win. We had as easy of a schedule as we've had in years.
The SEC East was probably the worst it has been in awhile.

Surprised Kirby Smart is receiving as much praise when he's got two of the best RBs in UGA history. M. Richt would likely have the same record going into the SEC Championship Game this year. Smart's success will also be better defined in the upcoming weeks.

Okay OP so you say it means nothing unless you beat Clemson...so if you beat Clemson and go 1-11 its a good successful season?

Reactions: Jpcooper
Hate to tell you ... it ain’t happening . Go ahead and get that out of your system . I think we will be competitive and the game will be nothing like last year but they are still miles ahead of us depth and talent wise . I look at this like the UGA game , I will be happy with a good showing . A competitive game will be a success to me . I do agree that if we get steamrolled then a lot of the good vibes will be flying out the window . A lot of pressure on the staff . I also don’t agree with giving Champ a raise before the CU game .

Look at our stats as a program. We are 29 games over .500, huge turning point because there were times where we'd hover just above .500. I remember the days of "if we could just get over .500 as a program and maintain it". Our bowl record isn't too bad, something like 8-13 I believe. Not anything to write home about but not embarrassing.

Then there's that one dark cloud that hangs over us. The Clemson record. You realize those necks are within 2 wins to make it to 70? 68-42 looks God awful, I mean God awful! I'm not saying we need to rattle off 8 wins in a row to make it 50 before they reach 70, but if they ever do reach it it's going to look even worse. Rivalries matter, they matter more in this state than most. You can avoid it all you want, you can explain it away, you can hide behind "oh we win a bowl, we win this, we win that". The fact is the Clemson game is the most important game we've played this season. It's the most important game we play EVERY season other than the SECCG or a playoff game if we ever make it. Explaining it away won't stop them from reaching 70, holding on to wins over Tennessee and Florida and NC State won't stop them from reaching 70. Its time to get serious about this game and get serious for a long time.

Dabo already made a fool of our coach last year with the snubbed handshake. Whether it was accidental or not, a snub is a snub is a snub. This game is everything.

EVERYTHING.

King you are normally a pretty level headed person but this statement is what has been wrong with SC and Clemson for YEARS. Winning 7-8 games was great as long as we beat our rival. At some point that has to not be enough if you are going to move forward. I mean even when you guys beat us 5 in a row we had other goals that we accomplished. And while those losses hurt they didnt define our seasons and we kept trying to get better. Until SC accepts that beating Clemson is icing on a much bigger and more important cake then you will never get where you wanna go.

I would agree with what Art said above. Its important in that it gets you closer to 10 wins and you can use 10 wins plus a win over us in recruiting. Just being happy beating us isnt gonna get you a lot of recruits. If Auburn had that mentality they would never get good recruits because they lose to Bama more than they win.
You don't want us to get really good or you wouldn't discourage us from using y'all as a yardstick and make beating y'all our top priority. You know that, if we could get back to doing that, a lot of other things might fall into place for us.

See, this "soft" idea of rivalry doesn't resonate with me. The rivalry lost some heat for two reasons: (A) we left the league y'all are in, which I hate we did because it distracted the contemporary USC fan from the hatred a rivalry needs, and (B), y'all went to another level in terms of national relevance and left us behind.

But people of my vintage understand what instate arch-rivalry means. When you have an instate rival and you have to live with those people and their abuse 365 days a year, winning that game takes top priority. Nothing is more important than beating UPC and no season is successful when we don't do it.

Again, some people are going to want to posit scenarios about winning this championship or that championship. Not winning the state championship would mar any other championship that might be garnered in the same year. I'm not even going to bandy words about it with anybody. It is a bedrock fundamental with me. Otherwise, there's no compelling reason to even play the game anymore, minus the conference connection.

I want to be Clemson so bad it literally hurts. This team probably just doesn't have it in them. I'm not being fatalistic I'm just being realistic.

That said I will not let those orange bastards from the upstate steal my joy about our team making progress.

Do you remember the year 2000? Do you remember coming off 21 game losing streak but winning eight games that season? We lost to Clemson in the push off game in the last seconds. Did you say at the time that the season was not successful?
I measure progress from the point we start beating them. Period. End of statement.

You don't want us to get really good or you wouldn't discourage us from using y'all as a yardstick and make beating y'all our top priority. You know that, if we could get back to doing that, a lot of other things might fall into place for us.

See, this "soft" idea of rivalry doesn't resonate with me. The rivalry lost some heat for two reasons: (A) we left the league y'all are in, which I hate we did because it distracted the contemporary USC fan from the hatred a rivalry needs, and (B), y'all went to another level in terms of national relevance and left us behind.

But people of my vintage understand what instate arch-rivalry means. When you have an instate rival and you have to live with those people and their abuse 365 days a year, winning that game takes top priority. Nothing is more important than beating UPC and no season is successful when we don't do it.

Again, some people are going to want to posit scenarios about winning this championship or that championship. Not winning the state championship would mar any other championship that might be garnered in the same year. I'm not even going to bandy words about it with anybody. It is a bedrock fundamental with me. Otherwise, there's no compelling reason to even play the game anymore, minus the conference connection.

Actually I wanna beat you every time we step on the field but that doesn't mean you cant be good while we do it. It make the win that much better. Also, I never said the rivalry shouldn't be important but it shouldn't be the top priority and it shouldn't be the measure of a successful season. IT should be a part of the big picture.

Clemson has 5 goals every year that are on the wall in the locker room and they don't change.
Win the opener
Win the Division
Win the State title
Win the ACC
Win the closer.
IF we get four of the five but lose to SC then its still a successful season. Will it suck to lose the rivalry game. HELL YEA but its not the end all be all when we judge a successful season anymore like it was under Bowden and others.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
Hate to tell you ... it ain’t happening . Go ahead and get that out of your system . I think we will be competitive and the game will be nothing like last year but they are still miles ahead of us depth and talent wise . I look at this like the UGA game , I will be happy with a good showing . A competitive game will be a success to me . I do agree that if we get steamrolled then a lot of the good vibes will be flying out the window . A lot of pressure on the staff . I also don’t agree with giving Champ a raise before the CU game .
I could live with a close game. No more blowouts though.

Actually I wanna beat you every time we step on the field but that doesn't mean you cant be good while we do it. It make the win that much better. Also, I never said the rivalry shouldn't be important but it shouldn't be the top priority and it shouldn't be the measure of a successful season.

Clemson has 5 goals every year that are on the wall in the locker room and they don't change.
Win the opener
Win the Division
Win the State title
Win the ACC
Win the closer.
IF we get four of the five but lose to SC then its still a successful season. Will it suck to lose the rivalry game. HELL YEA but its not the end all be all when we judge a successful season anymore like it was under Bowden and others.
Do you speak for all UPC's fans? See, I tried to tell you, I don't care about y'all's priorities. I don't care about the priorities of our fans who don't hate losing to y'all worse that anything. I care about MY priorities on this because I know they are right where rivalry is concerned.

Do you speak for all UPC's fans? See, I tried to tell you, I don't care about y'all's priorities. I don't care about the priorities of our fans who don't hate losing to y'all worse that anything. I care about MY priorities on this because I know they are right where rivalry is concerned.

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree then. It baffles me that winning the rivalry game means so much that you would be miserable even going 11-1 with only a loss to Clemson. Why even watch the rest of the year of none of those games matter?

Reactions: Jpcooper
I remember the days before 9/11 when playing the taters at WB and they flew banners behind the planes saying, "Carolina, Home for the Holidays" So I respectfully disagree that an 8 win season "means nothing."

So by your logic...we could currently be 2-9, winless in the SEC...but as long as we beat Clemson it will have been a better season then ours currently if we lose to Clemson this weekend. Oh..ok.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT