ADVERTISEMENT

Winning or getting paid ???

BobbyBReloaded1975

Oct 26, 2019
So I hear players all the time saying that winning is way more important than getting paid . Is it really ?? Ok so Clowney said winning was his top priority yet he signed with Titans over Seattle or New Orleans who are both super bowl contenders . There were rumors he was even entertaining offers from Jacksonville ?!? So here’s the question ... if you’re in his position do you want to win or get paid ?? I’ll be honest , I’m getting paid . If I know my career is ending by the time I’m 35 and I’ve got to support my family for the next 3 generation I want to make as much cash as humanly possible . If you’re gonna pay me twice as much to go 0-16 so be it . People say Brady was a saint for taking way less money to remain a patriot .... HE’S MARRIED TO THE RICHEST SUPERMODEL EVER!!!!! Brady is a terrible example . We’ve seen guys like Lebron and countless NFL players play for less to win but we’ve also seen guys like Carmelo Anthony and John Wall sign Ginormous Contracts to play for awful teams that they knew would never win . Are they wrong for that ?? What’s more important to an athlete .. their Legacy or their Families well being . I guess when you’re making that much it’s very easy to have both but sometimes it doesn’t work that way . What do you guys think??

The amounts of money they're getting is exorbitant and exists just to feed their egos any how. 15 mil or 13 mil, IDGAS, im going where I can get a ring and where my personal well-being will be taken most seriously.

I think so few players will actually leave a "legacy" that it's got to come down to money. Clowney is a great player, but won't ever be in the "all-time great NFL player" realm. He should get as much money as he can, while he can.

The amounts of money they're getting is exorbitant and exists just to feed their egos any how. 15 mil or 13 mil, IDGAS, im going where I can get a ring and where my personal well-being will be taken most seriously.

Very true . How is Patrick Mahomes gonna spend 400 million dollars ?!! Hopefully these kids hire capable folks to take care of their money . I saw an article on Jason Tatum from the Celtics and it said he has banked every game check he’s received in the NBA . He essentially lives off his bonuses and endorsements (which I’m sure are substantial). Pretty smart kid . I heard Gronk did something very similar during his career . On the flip side you have guys that are broke two years after retirement. Crazy

I thought this was going to be a question about Dustin Johnson; would he rather win $15M as he did or the Masters and $2M? At some point, I guess, money doesn’t matter. But I have to think even he would take the $15M?

I thought this was going to be a question about Dustin Johnson; would he rather win $15M as he did or the Masters and $2M? At some point, I guess, money doesn’t matter. But I have to think even he would take the $15M?

This one is easy. Masters, for sure. As a Masters champion, he would make plenty of residual money just from having that title. I have to believe it’s every golfers number one dream to win the Masters and then the money will take care of itself.

Didn’t Tennessee make it to the AFC championship last year?

Hey ur absolutely right . They made a heck of a run . However if I had to bet of Russell Wilson , Drew Brees or Ryan Tannehill that’s a pretty easy bet . You are right however . Just don’t see Derrick Henry being able to hold up over 16 games with 30+ carries a game . Of course he’s bigger than most Defensive ends So who knows .

NFL careers are short, and can be ended by injury in a second. Unless you want to be a janitor later in life, you better maximize your revenue while in the league.

Not a golf fan so can you explain to me?? I thought the masters was like the Holy Grail

Sorry but I have to say this. These pro athletes in all sports better get serious about their money!! They better worry about how to protect this economic system that has been developed in this country that has allowed them to earn these huge salaries.

This one is easy. Masters, for sure. As a Masters champion, he would make plenty of residual money just from having that title. I have to believe it’s every golfers number one dream to win the Masters and then the money will take care of itself.
Okay, I could see that for someone of Dustin’s stature. But how about Patrick Reed and Danny Willett, as a couple of more recent examples? Getting an extra $9M after taxes basically sets you for life regardless of what else happens.

Unless you’re the QB or you make a play that either wins or losses the Super Bowl at the last second no one is really remembered from a Super Bowl team. Cash in when you are at your prime and then if you want to take a shot on a SB team as your career is winding down then do it.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Very true . How is Patrick Mahomes gonna spend 400 million dollars ?!! Hopefully these kids hire capable folks to take care of their money . I saw an article on Jason Tatum from the Celtics and it said he has banked every game check he’s received in the NBA . He essentially lives off his bonuses and endorsements (which I’m sure are substantial). Pretty smart kid . I heard Gronk did something very similar during his career . On the flip side you have guys that are broke two years after retirement. Crazy
This is easier to do for basketball players. Their shoe and endorsement deals are usually much more substantial. Most football players don't have any sort of apparel deal. A guy like Zion had $20 mil in the bank before the Pelicans paid him a dime.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
So I hear players all the time saying that winning is way more important than getting paid . Is it really ?? Ok so Clowney said winning was his top priority yet he signed with Titans over Seattle or New Orleans who are both super bowl contenders . There were rumors he was even entertaining offers from Jacksonville ?!? So here’s the question ... if you’re in his position do you want to win or get paid ?? I’ll be honest , I’m getting paid . If I know my career is ending by the time I’m 35 and I’ve got to support my family for the next 3 generation I want to make as much cash as humanly possible . If you’re gonna pay me twice as much to go 0-16 so be it . People say Brady was a saint for taking way less money to remain a patriot .... HE’S MARRIED TO THE RICHEST SUPERMODEL EVER!!!!! Brady is a terrible example . We’ve seen guys like Lebron and countless NFL players play for less to win but we’ve also seen guys like Carmelo Anthony and John Wall sign Ginormous Contracts to play for awful teams that they knew would never win . Are they wrong for that ?? What’s more important to an athlete .. their Legacy or their Families well being . I guess when you’re making that much it’s very easy to have both but sometimes it doesn’t work that way . What do you guys think??

I think Clowney picked the Titans because the coach was the DC for him when he had his most successful years. Clowney knows his system and knows this guy will use him well. In addition the Titans are a good team. He is playing on a one year contract I believe. So he knows he has to perform. I can understand his decision.

Didn’t the Titans make it to within one game of the super bowl Last year?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT