ADVERTISEMENT

With 770 new cases reported, today, I’m wondering if we’re...

gr8spur

Sep 16, 2003
Going to have a football season. It’ll be strange, but I’m all for empty stadiums if this thing continues to spike like it is doing right now.

Going to have a football season. It’ll be strange, but I’m all for empty stadiums if this thing continues to spike like it is doing right now.
I hope the players will be able to understand the play calling from Hilinski with his mask on.

Cases going up, no average increase in deaths. On June 7th there was one death in the entire state. It's been close to a half dozen a day average for awhile. If no major spike in deaths, the virus may have mutated to weaker strain. The concern will once again be hospital beds available. It has dropped slightly since first of month, and a key thing to moniter.

Cases going up, no average increase in deaths. On June 7th there was one death in the entire state. It's been close to a half dozen a day average for awhile. If no major spike in deaths, the virus may have mutated to weaker strain. The concern will once again be hospital beds available. It has dropped slightly since first of month, and a key thing to moniter.
Deaths lag virus counts by 20-28 days.

Lots of fear mongering, promoted by the media and others. They have their reasons for not wanting things to open up and not get back to normal. I`m not worried about the virus. The flu kills a lot of people, some previously healthy, and nobody panics or shuts down or wears a mask. You don`t have to go out if you don`t have to - let people get back to their livelihoods and let people take the risk if they want to.

I just hope they can open the schools back up.
How the hell can you social distance at a school?

Doing the zoom homeschool thing was not much fun

Fans butts in seats at the FOOTBALL games is what pay the bills. They can turn it into an online college overnight for safety precaution. But when it comes to losing revenue you will see how fast that changes.

I doubt it. Freaking sucks. A lot of sports will start but will end in a few weeks.
I don't really get it. There are multiple players on each team that are testing positive for the virus. I don't understand the logistics, but I hope football happens.

What is the hospitalization numbers in SC and how are they trending? The number of positive cases is not irrelevant, but I think more and more folks are realizing that it's the number of hospitalizations that really matters.

We had our largest single day increase in NC today. I told my wife the same thing you stated above. Hospitalizations and deaths are the key indicators.

Reactions: king ward
I’d be more than happy to watch games on TV even if stadiums are empty. I understand many thousands of folks enjoy being there. If it comes down to empty stadiums, that seems like a reasonable compromise. Players, coaches and staff get to do what they love, schools and TV networks get much needed revenue, and us fans get the chance to be ecstatic and/or heartbroken every Saturday. Sounds like a win/win/win to me.

Fans butts in seats at the FOOTBALL games is what pay the bills. They can turn it into an online college overnight for safety precaution. But when it comes to losing revenue you will see how fast that changes.
That's not necessarily the case nowadays. Most of colleges' football revenue comea from TV contracts. And if more people have to stay home this season, that's more people that will be watching in TV. Ergo, even more TV revenue. Close to a wash.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Yes, exactly my point. Watch for a spike in the death rate. So far no major spikes at all in late three weeks.

The most critical data to watch is the rate of infection. South Carolina’s infection rate is currently at 14.4%, the highest in the County. This high rate indicates our daily case numbers will continue to climb exponentially until mitigation efforts are taken. If the public does not adhere to wearing masks in public and social distancing to slow this thing down, there is little hope for having a football season.
https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article243455296.htm

I was in MB and many guests at a high rise condo did not wear masks. They also tried to force their way into the elevator. You can’t be socially distant on an elevator!

I know a few people making a lot more money sitting at home drawing unemployment. They'll ride the gravy train as long as possible.

Some of the responses on this thread are exactly why the infection rate has gone up significantly in SC. I live in GA, and we were one of the first states to open up. But our infection rate is nowhere near where SC is right now because many are practicing social distancing and wearing masks. Not everyone is doing it, but many are being careful.

My buddy went to a SC Beach this past week, and he said it was like nothing has ever happened. Pure idiocy if you ask me...

Some of the responses on this thread are exactly why the infection rate has gone up significantly in SC. I live in GA, and we were one of the first states to open up. But our infection rate is nowhere near where SC is right now because many are practicing social distancing and wearing masks. Not everyone is doing it, but many are being careful.

My buddy went to a SC Beach this past week, and he said it was like nothing has ever happened. Pure idiocy if you ask me...

So, it was OK for you and your buddy to be at the beach but y'all were appalled that others were too?

Reactions: uscedge21
That's not necessarily the case nowadays. Most of colleges' football revenue comea from TV contracts. And if more people have to stay home this season, that's more people that will be watching in TV. Ergo, even more TV revenue. Close to a wash.
People in the stadium pays the bills. Spreads lots of revenue in the community. TV small percentage of total budget.All sports paid by football revenue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT