ADVERTISEMENT

With the Doty situation. I got a question for yall

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
Should a player automatically get his starting position back if he gets injured. In other words if one of the backup quarterbacks just totally blows up and has a great game or 2. Do you go back to Doty if he is ready ?

Definitely stick with the hot hand, especially in this situation. It's not like Doty is the established starter with a great performance history.
I changed the wording of my question a little bit. But I agree with ya.

Reactions: Tmac069
Go with the hot hand. I don't care who our QB is, I want to win.

I do think Doty is the best that we've got. I hope Brown tears it up and exceeds all expectations, but I've gotta believe what the coaches see every day. Doty has always been QB1, I don't see that changing long-term.

If it’s Peyton Manning he’s probably getting his job back but this isn’t a situation where you are replacing a guy who has proven to be a phenomenal player. At this point Doty is as much of an unknown as any other QB on the roster.

No. There should be no sense of entitlement in a program. Practices matter. The former starter needs to prove he's still the best option. I assume by "if he's ready", you mean healthy. That's not ready enough.

Next time you go watch the practices and film room take your phone and get some vids so we will know too
That is a fair statement. No, I have not attended any practices nor have I ever been to the football operations building. I just get the feeling that Coach Beamer named Doty as the number one quarterback on the depth chart earlier this year due to avoiding angering the fanbase on who should be quarterback. Coach Beamer did not want to relive the situation that Coach Muschamp had when they started Hill over Hilinski.

Doty could be the best option for South Carolina, but from what I watched in the games he played last season I am not sure. I also understand that last season Doty was a true freshman. I do not have a favorite on who the quarterback should be. I just want the best person that gives South Carolina a chance to win.

Should a player automatically get his starting position back if he gets injured. In other words if one of the backup quarterbacks just totally blows up and has a great game or 2. Do you go back to Doty if he is ready ?
I personally think you should give the starting QB a chance to play in a game or two and see if he can equal his back-ups performance.

Depends on the level of competition he competed against. With these two High Schools as our first two opponents, tells nothing to me because we should beat the snot out of them. If Doty is 100% good to go for Ga. game he should get the start.

Last edited:
Reactions: bflogger28

Well Doty has no won a game, has a 60% completion rate and twice as many turnovers ad td's... So no, I don't think he has really earned anything with his on the field play.

Just have to trust the coaches. If one of the QB blows up and is doing well, not a chance they throw Doty back out there.

I am not certain if he deserves the starting spot but I feel he definitely deserves some game reps in meaningful situations.

In general, I would say it depends on several factors. Is the returning starter a is a legitimate number 1 QB? Did the 2nd string guy beat anyone of consequence?

As for our particular situation, I say go with the hot hand, as others have said. So far, I haven't seen anything in live action that says one person deserves to start all year, regardless.

Why ????????
Because He has the Most Experience, has been working with the first team all summer, was named starter, ... NOW, if he doesnt come back until like week 6, and the team has at least 3 wins and good QB play. NO.. It is all relative to what is going on. If he is back for game 3 and SC is 1-1 coming off an ECU loss, YES!!

How many wins is Doty worth vs the other QB's? I just don't think any QB we have on the current roster is winning enough games to compete for the East.

That is a fair statement. No, I have not attended any practices nor have I ever been to the football operations building. I just get the feeling that Coach Beamer named Doty as the number one quarterback on the depth chart earlier this year due to avoiding angering the fanbase on who should be quarterback. Coach Beamer did not want to relive the situation that Coach Muschamp had when they started Hill over Hilinski.

Doty could be the best option for South Carolina, but from what I watched in the games he played last season I am not sure. I also understand that last season Doty was a true freshman. I do not have a favorite on who the quarterback should be. I just want the best person that gives South Carolina a chance to win.
Let's also keep in mind that Muschamp and Bobo had Doty practicing at WR all preseason last year. He didn't get any valuable snaps at quarterback and was thrown into the fire midseason. Not arguing one way or the other, just making an observation. I don't think that we have really seen what Luke is capable of at this point.

Because He has the Most Experience, has been working with the first team all summer, was named starter, ... NOW, if he doesnt come back until like week 6, and the team has at least 3 wins and good QB play. NO.. It is all relative to what is going on. If he is back for game 3 and SC is 1-1 coming off an ECU loss, YES!!
The question was "Should a player automatically get his starting position back if he gets injured. In other words if one of the backup quarterbacks just totally blows up and has a great game or 2. Do you go back to Doty if he is ready ?

If the back up just totally blows up, and is playing way beyond expectations you leave him in there. Keep in mind Doty has not proved himself to be able to "totally blow up" You stay with the hot player. If Doty was all SEC last year it is a different situation.

Let's also keep in mind that Muschamp and Bobo had Doty practicing at WR all preseason last year. He didn't get any valuable snaps at quarterback and was thrown into the fire midseason. Not arguing one way or the other, just making an observation. I don't think that we have really seen what Luke is capable of at this point.
Last year they didn't even consider Doty good enough to be a quarterback.

The question was "Should a player automatically get his starting position back if he gets injured. In other words if one of the backup quarterbacks just totally blows up and has a great game or 2. Do you go back to Doty if he is ready ?

If the back up just totally blows up, and is playing way beyond expectations you leave him in there. Keep in mind Doty has not proved himself to be able to "totally blow up" You stay with the hot player. If Doty was all SEC last year it is a different situation.
I agree, it is based on when he returns, What if Doty returns and is ready for Game 2?? Regardless of Game 1 results?? Game 7 if team is 2-5?? Game 7 if team is 4-3?? etc etc etc

There are exceptions, but I think there is kind of an unwritten rule that you don't lose your job to injury.

I would also question the coaches' evaluation abilities if the back-up comes in and out performs the starter.

I agree, it is based on when he returns, What if Doty returns and is ready for Game 2?? Regardless of Game 1 results?? Game 7 if team is 2-5?? Game 7 if team is 4-3?? etc etc etc
Game one does not mean a lot for our questionable Qb situation. We should beat E.Ill. with no problem. If the Qb sucks, we resort to smash mouth football with our expected strong running game. East Ill is expected to be weak. Last time I looked Vegas has not listed the game.
East Carolina game, assuming Doty isnt ready to play. If the sub Qb (totally blows up) throws 5 touchdown passes, zero interceptions, 375 passing yds, 68% completions. You let him start against UGA. You will know by halftime if he can play.

We want wins. Whoever is better, let them play. Practices also determine who should play. I hope the coaches let others play when we get ahead. There are advantages to RUTS.

Ask Wally Pipp.

Depends on the level of competition he competed against. With these two High Schools as our first two opponents, tells nothing to me because we should beat the snot out of them. If Doty is 100% good to go for Ga. game he should get the start.
East Carolina's QB is twice as good as anyone on our roster.

• Haha
I personally think you should give the starting QB a chance to play in a game or two and see if he can equal his back-ups performance.
Well, I mean you certainly give him a chance in a game after he heals up. But if he has not started a game, and the other guy has 3 games under his belt, I would not put him back in as a starter without seeing how handles it. Give him a couple of series and see how it goes.

Joe Morrison handled the QB situation at SC better than just about anyone I've ever seen. Eventually, Mike Hold took over, but he used them both during the early part of the season. It worked to perfection.

Reactions: rogue cock
Of course not in this situation. If you’re taking an established starter with a proven track record, then, yes, he gets the job back by default. Doty is not a proven commodity though. If someone else starts EIU and ECU bc Doty is injured and plays well, then you stick with the hot hand.

Reactions: rogue cock
He would have to earn it back, I would think. As in once he is medically cleared to play- then be reevaluated before the next game and outperform the current QB1.

Last edited:
Not hard to believe.
Why isnt he at BAMA, or OKIE st. if he is the Next Peyton Manning?? You got a crush??
ECU BEAT noone last year.. they lost to UCF, Ga State, Navy, Tulane, etc etc etc on to a 3-6 record playing Nobodys, so why again is he so much better than ANYONE on South Carolina Roster!!??

Reactions: redrogers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT